REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Police Forum

Police Forum Police Head Mod: Skidmark
Questions & info about the Motor Vehicle Act. Mature discussion only.

Old 05-31-2010, 11:12 AM   #51
CRS
ninja edits your posts without your knowledge

Thanked 6,310 Times in 1,777 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny G View Post
I've been pulled over and ticketed for supposedly going 65km/h even though the cop literally eyeballed my speed from the opposite direction of traffic. He then proceeded to accuse me of being drunk on a Wednesday evening and made me do a breathalyzer test which I obviously passed. Wish I kept the ticket where he wrote down the speed but this was about 2 years ago.

And yes, the whole ICBC points system is a money grabbing scheme. 2 speeding tickets and you're out ~$500 getting double fined for the offence and the DPP. I've never gotten enough DPP to pay but when cops are willing to ticket for anything between 60-70km/h or 100 on a highway, it's pretty obvious. Hell, if I were still in high school with my N and got a speeding ticket at the minimum fine and another ticket for carrying an extra passenger 9, 10 months later, I'd be screwed. The ticket itself should be enough of a punishment/deterrence. ICBC's DPP is just unnecessarily harsh and shouldn't apply to minor offences like speeding under 20km/h over the limit or driving more than one passenger with an N.
Seems like a slippery slope from there.

But again I only said up to 10KM or less the chances of you getting pulled over is next to nil. You were going 65, 5KM may not seem like much but you have to realize that makes it 15 over the limit.

Either way, I'm not arguing that I am the perfect driver and that I have an excellent record. I am simply saying that all of us know the rules before getting into the driver's seat. Should we choose to speed or carry more passengers or whatever, we know the consequences going into it.

Should you be the unlucky SOB that gets caught, don't bitch about it. You knew the consequences, you're just a sore loser because you were got caught. Either don't drive and don't play the game or take it on the chin and be smarter about the next time around.
Advertisement

My FeedBack 53-0-0
CRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 12:21 PM   #52
My homepage has been set to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by sho_bc View Post
You're "just crazy". A red light is a red light, no matter the time of day or night.
I vaguely remember hearing about how motorcyclists (maybe cars too) were allowed to do that because they couldn't trigger the sensors.
Posted via RS Mobile
ajax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 10:44 PM   #53
I bringith the lowerballerith

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajax View Post
I vaguely remember hearing about how motorcyclists (maybe cars too) were allowed to do that because they couldn't trigger the sensors.
Posted via RS Mobile
Incorrect. There is nothing written in the Motor Vehicle Act that allows that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny G View Post
The ticket itself should be enough of a punishment/deterrence.
You're absolutely right. However, proven by the number of people I've come across with more than 5 tickets in the last 5yrs (many duplicate infractions) showing on my screen, its obviously not enough of a deterrent.
"Never give a match up halfway through. Never say that you do not feel up to it, that your condition is bad, and throw in the towel. Fight to the very end, always looking for your chance to break through." - Kazuzo Kudo
sho_bc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 07:40 AM   #54
Banned (BBM)

high chance u get suspended
Mugen EvOlutioN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 01:12 AM   #55
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

Hey again, so I've given myself some time to think about this and I hit a couple questions, your help will again be much appreciated.

If I presented the story of:
I'm an UBC undergrad student with no paying job, I can't afford my own car, so I was driving my dad's car, paying almost $550 for first time offense seems rather tough. My younger brother's friend snuck out without parents' approval, I didn't want him to walk 40 minutes late at night, so I myself snuck out trying to get him home as fast as I could.

I hope I don't get flamed too much, and I know it sounds ridonkulous to believe. I will however, admit that I am guilty for the charges, just like to know what kind of response I'd get if 1) I contacted the officer before the court date, or 2) I told this to the judge.

Also, between surrey and langley, which would you guys recommend for stand by class 5 examination?

Thanks again.
mkchoi0801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 05:06 AM   #56
I bringith the lowerballerith

2 bad decisions don't make a right one. The JJP won't be able to lower the speeding ticket but may be able to lower the red light one. The other option is asking for a time extension to pay off the ticket.
"Never give a match up halfway through. Never say that you do not feel up to it, that your condition is bad, and throw in the towel. Fight to the very end, always looking for your chance to break through." - Kazuzo Kudo
sho_bc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 05:39 AM   #57
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkchoi0801 View Post
I hope I don't get flamed too much, and I know it sounds ridonkulous to believe. I will however, admit that I am guilty for the charges, just like to know what kind of response I'd get if 1) I contacted the officer before the court date, or 2) I told this to the judge..
You don't think BOTH of them have heard every possible sob story before? Guaranteed they've had FAR more pathetic-sounding tales presented to them before, probably with better delivery, too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 06:12 AM   #58
Rider

Thanked 2,081 Times in 532 Posts
you should be put on probation and can still go for class 5 and if your suspended you will get a letter delivered to you and once you sign for it your suspended

i got 6 points and went on probation. then got caught speeding and then suspended for 3 months after the suspention you N start over and your still probation untill you get your class 5...dont fuck it up staying on N sucks
gdoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 09:00 AM   #59
CRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by sho_bc View Post
2 bad decisions don't make a right one. The JJP won't be able to lower the speeding ticket but may be able to lower the red light one. The other option is asking for a time extension to pay off the ticket.
Not only that, the officer can reissue the speeding ticket to the excessive should you dispute. Like mentioned before, unless I'm remembering another thread, the officer gave you a break and just give you a speeding ticket instead of an excessive one.

OP: Your defence isn't going to work. Like sho_bc said (word of an officer) two wrongs don't make a right. Besides, the road to hell is paved with good intentions. It doesn't matter that it is your first offence. If you murdered someone, would you use the same excuse?

"Well judge, this is my first time committing murder. I think getting life in prison is a pretty tough punishment since this is my first offence".

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdoh View Post
you should be put on probation and can still go for class 5 and if your suspended you will get a letter delivered to you and once you sign for it your suspended
Ugh, what?

You're really only on probation after you have been suspended. Kind of like going to jail/prison then going on probation afterwards. You don't go on probation before getting the punishment.

My FeedBack 53-0-0
Old 06-09-2010, 09:04 AM   #60

Quote:

i got 6 points and went on probation. then got caught speeding and then suspended for 3 months after the suspention you N start over and your still probation untill you get your class 5...dont fuck it up staying on N sucks
So, in your case, you didn't get suspended until you got the second ticket? And also isn't it something like, you have to be 2 years free of ANY violations or accidents?
Old 06-09-2010, 09:08 AM   #61

@ CRS, aren't they more lenient towards first time crimes that weren't intentional? I'm sure they would charge you more for intended serial killing, then say, you were cleaning your gun and it accidentally fired at someone.

I figured they have heard all kinds of stories... so my only option is to pass this road test. God I've lost so much sleep over this it's not even funny This happened right after my mom warned me about her friend's son that recently got his license suspended too...
Old 06-09-2010, 11:30 AM   #62
【=◈︿◈=】

Thanked 2,099 Times in 558 Posts
Quote:
@ CRS, aren't they more lenient towards first time crimes that weren't intentional? I'm sure they would charge you more for intended serial killing, then say, you were cleaning your gun and it accidentally fired at someone.

I figured they have heard all kinds of stories... so my only option is to pass this road test. God I've lost so much sleep over this it's not even funny This happened right after my mom warned me about her friend's son that recently got his license suspended too...
just dispute it with the intention of buying yourself time to get your class 5. don't dispute it with the intention of actually winning
- kT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 11:51 AM   #63
Rider

Thanked 2,081 Times in 532 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRS View Post
Ugh, what?

You're really only on probation after you have been suspended. Kind of like going to jail/prison then going on probation afterwards. You don't go on probation before getting the punishment.
he got 5 points so he will be put on probation and any other infraction from here out he will be suspended and have to start the N all over again and will still be on probation for the duration of the next 2 years and can have no infractions with points or he will be suspended again. so if you drive good there should be no problems going for the class 5
gdoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 01:22 PM   #64
CRS

Quote:

So are you saying you accidentally excessively sped and accidentally ran a red light? If that is the case, you're sure digging yourself into a driving without due care ticket...

Quote:
he got 5 points so he will be put on probation and any other infraction from here out he will be suspended and have to start the N all over again and will still be on probation for the duration of the next 2 years and can have no infractions with points or he will be suspended again. so if you drive good there should be no problems going for the class 5
Let me show you the definition of "probation":
The release of an offender from detention (in this case suspension), subject to a period of good behavior under supervision.

You're never on probation until you get suspended. If you get suspended, you will be on probation. Not the other way around. You are just a normal, every day driver until you get suspended for whatever the superintendent of motor vehicles deem to be unacceptable driving behaviour.

Just like how every day citizens are just normal people up until they go to jail/prison for breaking the law. Then after their release, they are out but on probation.

My FeedBack 53-0-0
Old 06-25-2010, 09:26 AM   #65

Updating my old thread...
Failed the stand by road test on the 17th, but passed today!!! yah!
Yet to pay the ticket, but i'll be on my way in a minute. Passed the test on the 29th day of getting the ticket, so i can still get the $25 discount wooo.
Thanks to those who provided contructive criticism and advices.
and a big FUCKU to those who pretended to be ethugs.
Peace.
Old 06-25-2010, 12:15 PM   #66
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Quote:
and a big FUCKU to those who pretended to be ethugs.

Now.. did you learn something from your ways? Going to slow down? Or are you going to repeat and lose your licence to excessive numbers of tickets in your first year...?
Old 06-25-2010, 12:39 PM   #67

I don't know why you quoted that, knowing that you don't know what someone has been PMing me.

On topic, yah I definitely won't run a red... hahaha. However, going below the speed limit is something I still have a problem doing... Even when I set my mind to it, the general public makes it harder for me. You have no clue how many ppl honked at me during my road test today lol.
Old 06-25-2010, 12:57 PM   #68
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

You have no idea how many people passed me illegally when I drive to work at exactly the speed limit. I was doing that to see how it affects my fuel economy and people would pass me on the left (one lane street) even though it's a solid line, tailgate me, honk me, and give me weird looks when they pass me. Some even pass me on the right. I guess people just tend to get up late and have to rush to work in the morning. However, driving home at the speed limit was more pleasureable as apparently, there is no rush to go home.
wing_woo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 07:39 PM   #69
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

You don't have to dispute, unless your birthday is 1 month before or after your class 5 exam date. ICBC examines your driving record for the past year within a short period before/after your birthday, which is why you only receive the letter of suspension a short time after your birthday (Unless suspension is because of a DUI, that one is pretty immediate).

If you want to play it safe, and not pay the fine and get the points for a year, give or take a few months, then dispute it. It's not necessary to wait 29 days to do it, as you have a whole year ahead of you to pass the class 5.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRS View Post
This is something I stand firmly by. If you are guilty of the crime, then you should just pay the fine and man up. Only people who have nothing better to do and no sense of accountability who dispute under no grounds.

However, if there is the loophole that there is in our current system where you can get your class 5, by all means, go for it.

With all the said, a dispute normally takes about a years time. If you adjourn, you better have a valid reason. Making up something is NOT good enough. It isn't like in highschool when you can make up whatever you want and get away with it.

But once again, DO NOT DO IT JUST TO GET OFF THE HOOK WITHOUT ANY PUNISHMENT.

You will get no sympathy from me, the officer or the JP who will hand your ass to you.

Officers give you choice to change your mind and to "plead guilty" when they have a chat with you before entering the court on the court date.

If you decide to plead guilty, then he will give you a chance to talk to the judge and reduce fine. The minimum speeding ticket fine cannot be reduced (I believe it's $138.).
tegz is offline   Reply With Quote