REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Island Automotive Chat (https://www.revscene.net/forums/island-automotive-chat_13/)
-   -   2010 Camaro insurance rates...? wtf? any insight? (https://www.revscene.net/forums/616122-2010-camaro-insurance-rates-wtf-any-insight.html)

Avery 05-30-2010 06:23 PM

2010 Camaro insurance rates...? wtf? any insight?

so i went to look a new 2010 camaro

black on black , zero chrome , 6 speed , 2-SS , leather all the bells and whistles .. well they were gonna give me a wicked price on trade-in on my truck (5g more than i bought it for)

http://images.thecarconnection.com/m...00187716_m.jpg

then i go to the insurance agents because im curious how much insurance is gonna be , granted i knew it was gonna be pricey but 4000$ a year and with my accident awhile back im looking at 4500$ a year

its almost as much as the payments are? wtf? does anybody work for icbc that can explain why it is 1500$ more than the challenger RT rates?

Super Dipper 05-30-2010 07:22 PM

Just out of curiosity, whats your driving record like? That seems really high for insurance through ICBC, unless you are deemed a insurance risk to ICBC due to previous driving habits.

Just as a comparison, i got a insurance quote for a 02 NSX not too long ago, and i was quoted $2600/yr for full coverage. Avg price of that car new was around $115k, now adays they are around $50-60k cdn.

something def isnt right in your situation.

YK86 05-30-2010 08:17 PM

If you have little to no discount, then I wouldn't be surprised. Back in 02 when I bought my 99 Mustang GT convertible (already a 4 year old car), insurance was $2700 year with my discount (-43% basic 45% comp) which works out to be about $4000 a year if I had no discount. Your car is the current model year which to them probably means more expensive to fix if you do get into an accident.

Avery 05-30-2010 09:19 PM

i got them to quote it first at 0% discount then after with my 20% surcharge which sucks but it was 3794$ at 0% with the price of new plates and whatnot so its still 3500 a year ... i just cant belive/understand why the hell its so high in qualicum beach area when i havnt even seen one driving around

and....

my current vehicle is a dodge 3500 diesel with full insurance and its 130 a month ... and is worth quite a bit

my driving record has a couple speeding tickets on it thats about it...

wnderinguy 05-30-2010 10:06 PM

My '03 Dakota would have been $1900 if not for the Roadstar full discount.My 08 Mazda3 would have been just over $2000 without the full discount.Just under $4k doesn't sound bad for a NEW vehicle in that price range IMO.
Quote:

but 4000$ a year and with my accident awhile back im looking at 4500$ a year ...
...1500$ more than the challenger RT rates?
Where did you get the Challenger rates,are you saying they are $2500 or $3000 and is the coverage exactly the same?

Soundy 05-30-2010 10:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Avery (Post 6971545)
my current vehicle is a dodge 3500 diesel with full insurance and its 130 a month ... and is worth quite a bit

Quote:

Originally Posted by YK86 (Post 6971433)
I Your car is the current model year which to them probably means more expensive to fix if you do get into an accident.

This is probably a big part of it. The truck will probably sustain a lot less damage in most crashes, and if it does, will be a lot cheaper to fix.

I once saw an F350 rear-end a parked older Nissan hatchback (200SX or something). The car was nearly a write-off - the hatch was shoved up over the roof, the rear end was completely mashed. The truck had a broken turn signal cover and a couple cracks in the plastic grille. The driver had a McD's drink sitting on his front seat and it didn't even tip over in the impact.

Super Dipper 05-31-2010 12:13 PM

if you are paying a surcharge atm, its not out of the question to pay that much for insurance

Avery 05-31-2010 06:52 PM

the challenger R/T with the exact same coverage as used for the Camaro 2-SS was

$2777 a year (Challenger)
$3794 a year (Camaro)

the dollar value of the vehicles for purchase was within 2-3g , with my surcharge its an extra 500$ a year , these quotes were printed out not using my driving record or anything just a icbc quote for 0% discount

im going call icbc this week and get to the bottom of this , its really bothering me why the vehicles in the same class of sports car have such different rates

Jgresch 05-31-2010 07:02 PM

There's so many other factors though.

What have people with these cars been driving like in the past? Maybe the Challenger has a lot of more responsible older drivers, where as the camaros have seen more crashes.

Just because a vehicle is similar in price doesn't mean it will have similar insurance.

Soundy 05-31-2010 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Avery (Post 6972655)
t
$2777 a year (Challenger)
$3794 a year (Camaro)

im going call icbc this week and get to the bottom of this , its really bothering me why the vehicles in the same class of sports car have such different rates

Because Chevy owners are all douchebags.

NEUF 06-01-2010 08:38 PM

If you are going to insure more than 1 vehicle only the first one (in your case the dodge truck) will be insured with either a surcharge or discount. so no matter what when you insure the camaro it will be at 0% (which is a bonus if you have a surcharge right now, and its on the cheaper vehicle). Sucks that it costs so much, seems a little outrageous.
I once was qouted over $800 for 3 months of basic coverage on a 1990 GMC V6 1500 base model pick-up, so dont be too upset :p

98twofourty 06-01-2010 09:18 PM

My 99 camaro cost me about that and i have a 20% surcharge i believe, 1 accident. Imagine how i feel paying that when the car is worth less than half a 2010 SS

wnderinguy 06-01-2010 11:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NEUF (Post 6974273)
If you are going to insure more than 1 vehicle only the first one (in your case the dodge truck) will be insured with either a surcharge or discount. so no matter what when you insure the camaro it will be at 0% (which is a bonus if you have a surcharge right now, and its on the cheaper vehicle). Sucks that it costs so much, seems a little outrageous.
I once was qouted over $800 for 3 months of basic coverage on a 1990 GMC V6 1500 base model pick-up, so dont be too upset :p

Ummm no...,Like I said both my vehicles have the Full discount,and I'm pretty sure the surcharge would apply to any vehicle(s) you insure as its based on your driving record (drivers license) not the vehicle.

simsimi1004 06-03-2010 05:38 AM

Why?
Spoiler!

Enough said.

NEUF 06-04-2010 08:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wnderinguy (Post 6974480)
Ummm no...,Like I said both my vehicles have the Full discount,and I'm pretty sure the surcharge would apply to any vehicle(s) you insure as its based on your driving record (drivers license) not the vehicle.

You're wrong. They cant charge you the same surcharge on more than one vehicle. Yes it is based on your record and not the vehicle but will not be applied to more than one vehicle. I went through this not too long ago while insuring two vehicles.
the same would be said about discounts on two vehicles. however in your case, you may have had both your cars insured for a long enough period of time that both have now reached max discount? I am sure at one point they were at different rates

Enraged 06-04-2010 04:16 PM

ive had 2 cars insured at the same time, both getting the discount. unless they changed the policy recently.

stevo911_ 06-06-2010 09:26 AM

I thought they made changes to the regulations due to the fact people were insuring vespa's and other $5 a month insurance (i know insurance is actually more than that) vehicles as their primary to get around paying the premium on their more expensive vehicle

kwijybow 07-02-2010 09:42 PM

Did you end up getting the Camaro? Glad to see you're aiming for a REAL Camaro, not the V6 wanna-be model. I would shop around a few places and see if they all quote you the same figures.