REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > REVscene Nation: Beyond The GVRD > Island Automotive Chat

Island Automotive Chat Victoria to Port Hardy and everything in between
For all your island car related talk.

Old 05-30-2010, 06:23 PM   #1
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

2010 Camaro insurance rates...? wtf? any insight?

so i went to look a new 2010 camaro

black on black , zero chrome , 6 speed , 2-SS , leather all the bells and whistles .. well they were gonna give me a wicked price on trade-in on my truck (5g more than i bought it for)

then i go to the insurance agents because im curious how much insurance is gonna be , granted i knew it was gonna be pricey but 4000$ a year and with my accident awhile back im looking at 4500$ a year

its almost as much as the payments are? wtf? does anybody work for icbc that can explain why it is 1500$ more than the challenger RT rates?
Advertisement
Avery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 07:22 PM   #2
Dip Dip Dip Dip Mod

Just out of curiosity, whats your driving record like? That seems really high for insurance through ICBC, unless you are deemed a insurance risk to ICBC due to previous driving habits.

Just as a comparison, i got a insurance quote for a 02 NSX not too long ago, and i was quoted $2600/yr for full coverage. Avg price of that car new was around $115k, now adays they are around $50-60k cdn.

something def isnt right in your situation.

88 CRX - Turbo AWD
03 G35- HKS GT Supercharged - Toy
03 Cummins 2500 - Tow Rig/ Money maker

Quote:
Originally Posted by NashMan View Post
think befro you type
Super Dipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 08:17 PM   #3
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

If you have little to no discount, then I wouldn't be surprised. Back in 02 when I bought my 99 Mustang GT convertible (already a 4 year old car), insurance was $2700 year with my discount (-43% basic 45% comp) which works out to be about $4000 a year if I had no discount. Your car is the current model year which to them probably means more expensive to fix if you do get into an accident.
Old 05-30-2010, 09:19 PM   #4

i got them to quote it first at 0% discount then after with my 20% surcharge which sucks but it was 3794$ at 0% with the price of new plates and whatnot so its still 3500 a year ... i just cant belive/understand why the hell its so high in qualicum beach area when i havnt even seen one driving around

and....

my current vehicle is a dodge 3500 diesel with full insurance and its 130 a month ... and is worth quite a bit

my driving record has a couple speeding tickets on it thats about it...

Last edited by Avery; 05-30-2010 at 09:29 PM.
Old 05-30-2010, 10:06 PM   #5
Need my Daily Fix of RS

My '03 Dakota would have been $1900 if not for the Roadstar full discount.My 08 Mazda3 would have been just over $2000 without the full discount.Just under $4k doesn't sound bad for a NEW vehicle in that price range IMO.
Quote:
but 4000$ a year and with my accident awhile back im looking at 4500$ a year ...
...1500$ more than the challenger RT rates?
Where did you get the Challenger rates,are you saying they are $2500 or $3000 and is the coverage exactly the same?

Last edited by wnderinguy; 05-31-2010 at 12:22 AM.
wnderinguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 10:25 PM   #6
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avery View Post
my current vehicle is a dodge 3500 diesel with full insurance and its 130 a month ... and is worth quite a bit
Quote:
Originally Posted by YK86 View Post
I Your car is the current model year which to them probably means more expensive to fix if you do get into an accident.
This is probably a big part of it. The truck will probably sustain a lot less damage in most crashes, and if it does, will be a lot cheaper to fix.

I once saw an F350 rear-end a parked older Nissan hatchback (200SX or something). The car was nearly a write-off - the hatch was shoved up over the roof, the rear end was completely mashed. The truck had a broken turn signal cover and a couple cracks in the plastic grille. The driver had a McD's drink sitting on his front seat and it didn't even tip over in the impact.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 12:13 PM   #7
Dip Dip Dip Dip Mod

if you are paying a surcharge atm, its not out of the question to pay that much for insurance

88 CRX - Turbo AWD
03 G35- HKS GT Supercharged - Toy
03 Cummins 2500 - Tow Rig/ Money maker

Quote:
Originally Posted by NashMan View Post
think befro you type
Super Dipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 06:52 PM   #8

the challenger R/T with the exact same coverage as used for the Camaro 2-SS was

$2777 a year (Challenger)
$3794 a year (Camaro)

the dollar value of the vehicles for purchase was within 2-3g , with my surcharge its an extra 500$ a year , these quotes were printed out not using my driving record or anything just a icbc quote for 0% discount

im going call icbc this week and get to the bottom of this , its really bothering me why the vehicles in the same class of sports car have such different rates
Old 05-31-2010, 07:02 PM   #9
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 3,340 Times in 841 Posts
There's so many other factors though.

What have people with these cars been driving like in the past? Maybe the Challenger has a lot of more responsible older drivers, where as the camaros have seen more crashes.

Just because a vehicle is similar in price doesn't mean it will have similar insurance.
Jgresch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 09:42 PM   #10
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avery View Post
t
$2777 a year (Challenger)
$3794 a year (Camaro)

im going call icbc this week and get to the bottom of this , its really bothering me why the vehicles in the same class of sports car have such different rates
Because Chevy owners are all douchebags.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-01-2010, 08:38 PM   #11
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

If you are going to insure more than 1 vehicle only the first one (in your case the dodge truck) will be insured with either a surcharge or discount. so no matter what when you insure the camaro it will be at 0% (which is a bonus if you have a surcharge right now, and its on the cheaper vehicle). Sucks that it costs so much, seems a little outrageous.
I once was qouted over $800 for 3 months of basic coverage on a 1990 GMC V6 1500 base model pick-up, so dont be too upset
NEUF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 09:18 PM   #12
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

My 99 camaro cost me about that and i have a 20% surcharge i believe, 1 accident. Imagine how i feel paying that when the car is worth less than half a 2010 SS
98twofourty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 11:01 PM   #13
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEUF View Post
If you are going to insure more than 1 vehicle only the first one (in your case the dodge truck) will be insured with either a surcharge or discount. so no matter what when you insure the camaro it will be at 0% (which is a bonus if you have a surcharge right now, and its on the cheaper vehicle). Sucks that it costs so much, seems a little outrageous.
I once was qouted over $800 for 3 months of basic coverage on a 1990 GMC V6 1500 base model pick-up, so dont be too upset
Ummm no...,Like I said both my vehicles have the Full discount,and I'm pretty sure the surcharge would apply to any vehicle(s) you insure as its based on your driving record (drivers license) not the vehicle.

Last edited by wnderinguy; 06-01-2010 at 11:19 PM.
wnderinguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 05:38 AM   #14
No Duplicate Accounts Allowed

Why?
Spoiler!

Enough said.
simsimi1004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 08:17 AM   #15
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnderinguy View Post
Ummm no...,Like I said both my vehicles have the Full discount,and I'm pretty sure the surcharge would apply to any vehicle(s) you insure as its based on your driving record (drivers license) not the vehicle.
You're wrong. They cant charge you the same surcharge on more than one vehicle. Yes it is based on your record and not the vehicle but will not be applied to more than one vehicle. I went through this not too long ago while insuring two vehicles.
the same would be said about discounts on two vehicles. however in your case, you may have had both your cars insured for a long enough period of time that both have now reached max discount? I am sure at one point they were at different rates
NEUF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 04:16 PM   #16
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

ive had 2 cars insured at the same time, both getting the discount. unless they changed the policy recently.
Enraged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 09:26 AM   #17
B&S Sexy mod

I thought they made changes to the regulations due to the fact people were insuring vespa's and other $5 a month insurance (i know insurance is actually more than that) vehicles as their primary to get around paying the premium on their more expensive vehicle
stevo911_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 09:42 PM   #18
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

Did you end up getting the Camaro? Glad to see you're aiming for a REAL Camaro, not the V6 wanna-be model. I would shop around a few places and see if they all quote you the same figures.
kwijybow is offline   Reply With Quote