REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > The John Norwich Riders Corner

The John Norwich Riders Corner In honour of our fellow moderator: John Norwich R.I.P. September 17th, 2014
Buy, sell, trade bikes and gear, set up bike rallies, meet discussions. #revscenebikes

Old 05-31-2010, 04:50 PM   #1
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Difference between a 2006 SV650 and SV650S

Hey guys,

a noob here looking to get my first bike and I found a SV650S that I like.

Now, i've ridden on a 2008 SV650F and that felt very comfortable as far as power and riding position. I'm not sure what the difference is between that and a 2006 SV650S or even a SV650 for that matter, so if anyone can shed some lights regaring that, it'll be greatly appreciated.
Advertisement
Bring some RS people with you to help u GANG BANG the guy!!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Selanne_200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 09:09 PM   #2
Banned (ABWS)

SV650 is naked bike with more upright seating position and higher handlebars. The SV650S is the half-fairing model with clip-on handlebars and higher set rear pegs. The SV650F I'm guessing the the SV650S model with a full lower fairing.
Jermyzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 09:46 PM   #3
B&S Sexy mod

^you nailed it.
The naked is a more comfortable seating position with lower footpegs, and higher bars (and doesnt have the bodywork to mangle when you drop it)

The S has rearsets (footpegs are further back and higher up), clip-ons (the handlebars clamp onto the sides of the forks so they can sit much lower) that lean you forward more into a more aggressive/sportier seating position.

The F is the S model with more bodywork to scratch/break when you drop it (and has since completely replaced the S model)

I dont know how noobish you are but:

If you've never ridden before I strongly suggest taking a riding course (you're an idiot if you dont, especially riding on the mainland)
Spend more money on good gear and less on a new bike than the other way around (heavy work grade jeans will burn though in seconds on asphalt, designer jeans you may as well be naked, and runners are not sufficient for footwear)
As you can probably tell I'm expecting you to drop it, it WILL happen, its just a matter of when (took me 2 years )
stevo911_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 12:03 AM   #4
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

^^ Thanks for the input guys. I ended up getting a SV650S anyways. I have ridden before but I ended up signing up with PRS anyways, can't say enough good things about them. I should've learned how to ride a bike properly before buying the bike tho because now I'm realizing how much strength it takes my legs to ride that bike around with that seating position.
Bring some RS people with you to help u GANG BANG the guy!!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Selanne_200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 08:05 PM   #5
Banned (ABWS)

Congrats on the bike. Excellent choice (but I'm biased ). Frame sliders might be a worthwhile investment. I dropped my bike once at a standstill (forgot to put kickstand down!) and frame sliders protected it from any damage to the expensive plastics!
Jermyzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 09:22 AM   #6
Banned (ABWS)

Thanked 1,105 Times in 540 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jermyzy View Post
Congrats on the bike. Excellent choice (but I'm biased ). Frame sliders might be a worthwhile investment. I dropped my bike once at a standstill (forgot to put kickstand down!) and frame sliders protected it from any damage to the expensive plastics!
x2

I dropped my bike recently Frame slider took almost all the damage.

It was an honest mistake, turned too sharply into a parking lot with a slight curb on the entrance - something any car would've made it over with ease yet too much for the bike, front tire hit on an angle and then followed the curb, and the bike went down.. Hopefully you don't make the same mistake, yet frame sliders sure help if you do.
taylor192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 09:25 AM   #7
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selanne_200 View Post
I should've learned how to ride a bike properly before buying the bike tho because now I'm realizing how much strength it takes my legs to ride that bike around with that seating position.
What do you mean? Maybe you need the bike lowered?
Old 06-14-2010, 07:10 PM   #8
B&S Sexy mod

^ I would assume due to the rearset height
Old 06-15-2010, 10:48 AM   #9
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevo911_ View Post
^ I would assume due to the rearset height
The rearsets on the S are only 1" higher and further back than the N...???
Old 06-15-2010, 10:03 PM   #10
B&S Sexy mod

Just saying, we'll have to see what Selanne_200 has to say. I noticed a huge difference between the naked and S in my legs, but I also have terrible knees *shrug*
Old 06-16-2010, 07:58 AM   #11
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevo911_ View Post
Just saying, we'll have to see what Selanne_200 has to say. I noticed a huge difference between the naked and S in my legs, but I also have terrible knees *shrug*
Good to know.

I have long legs and was thinking of getting the rearset risers which push them back ~1", yet they will be bent more which may be uncomfortable - I have bad knees too.

I wonder if you can put the rearset from a N on a S to move the pegs to be more comfortable. I know others have swapped the clipons for a bar so they have a more upright comfortable riding position.