REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   Pixar Vancouver (https://www.revscene.net/forums/616337-pixar-vancouver.html)

LiquidTurbo 06-01-2010 11:23 PM

Pixar Vancouver

Pixar comes to Canada! Vancouver that is.. any aspiring animators going to try to work there?

Meowjin 06-01-2010 11:35 PM

met alot of the animators they had some type of meeting at my nightclub.

Meowjin 06-01-2010 11:36 PM

looksl ike gastown office

StylinRed 06-01-2010 11:41 PM

edit: nevermind watched the video... that looks like its almost exactly next door to Phil Rankins (lawyer) office

Gh0stRider 06-01-2010 11:42 PM

nice video, i liked how they used animated characters in vancouver.

stanley park, english bay, cambie st bridge etc.

Gh0stRider 06-01-2010 11:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MajinHurricane (Post 6974534)
looksl ike gastown office

from their site.

Where is the studio?
We are currently located in a temporary office in downtown Vancouver while we look for a permanent home for our studio.

How big is the studio?
We are planning to ramp up to a staff of 75-100 people.

tonyvu 06-01-2010 11:45 PM

fucking love this city

BlacknJean 06-02-2010 12:35 AM

omfg i cant wait for toy story 3!!!!

AzNightmare 06-02-2010 01:36 AM

Awesome! too bad i'm not in this 3D industry anymore though.
Maybe if they did this a few years ago.

The video was somewhat touching though... don't know why.
Made me cherish this city a bit more.

BNR32_Coupe 06-02-2010 01:41 AM

i was thinking the olympics brought more attention to vancouver but actually vancouver's more convenient than anywhere else for pixar since they're hollywood and vancouver's in the same time zone

ForbiddenX 06-02-2010 03:02 AM

^isn't vancouver already considered Hollywood north?

I'd love to work at pixar but I'm not much of an artist haha, hopefully they need some tech guys in a year or two :P. I'm studying more of the computer related stuff for this.

7seven 06-02-2010 06:16 AM

Pixar Vancouver won't be working on feature films for awhile, the Vancouver office gets most of the crap like animated shorts that play in amusement parks and above urinals. Vancouver already has a number of animation and vfx post studios, so it'll be interesting to see how many key talent Pixar can draw away, from talking to people I know on that side of things, not too many are excited.

Somewhat related, if you're interested in working on that side of things in film, Sony Imageworks and Digital Domain are hiring for their Vancouver offices. DD Vancouver has been slaving away on Tron and Thor and will be gearing up for Transformers 3 shortly. There are also a number of VFX studios planning Vancouver expansion shortly. Despite the high CDN $, "Hollywood North" is doing alright still, even on the production side of things, I'll be lacking time and sleep soon when Red Riding Hood, Smallville and Hellcats gets running at the same time.

jmvdesign 06-02-2010 07:07 AM

How do you think Pixar will do eventually in 5 years time? I'm kinda weary of these animation studios expanding here in Vancouver especially after what happened to the video game industry such as Electronic Arts doing mass hiring then slashing jobs month after month.

BTW, is EA Black Box still open?

jpark 06-02-2010 09:41 AM

awesome

freakshow 06-02-2010 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmvdesign (Post 6974753)
BTW, is EA Black Box still open?

I think they closed down closed their dt office a while ago..

NeoDestinyZ 06-02-2010 10:53 AM

I use to be an Artist when I was at a young age, I did music, art, animation and also films. But I need to get re-train and would love to do volunteer/part time job if someone would hire me.

fliptuner 06-02-2010 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by freakshow (Post 6974909)
I think they closed down closed their dt office a while ago..

Shut down late last year or early this year, after a bunch of layoffs. The remaining employees moved to Bby.

hotong 06-02-2010 11:04 AM

sweet

AzNightmare 06-02-2010 11:16 AM

I always assumed PIXAR's one of the top animating studios in the world.
And wouldn't hire noobs that are basically fresh out of school.
Maybe the one in Vancouver is planning to train so that'll explain why they are going
to stick with short animations for now.

But I'm pretty sure every animator wants to work for PIXAR.

jtanner_ 06-02-2010 11:16 AM

I thought the video was really well made... nice to see how they incorporated the characters into the surroundings

jnesss 06-02-2010 11:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AzNightmare (Post 6975006)
Maybe the one in Vancouver is planning to train so that'll explain why they are going

if newly graded students can demonstrate talent that can beat experience.. well then :thumbsup:.

TRD Rs200 06-03-2010 01:31 AM

cool

typ. 06-03-2010 08:09 AM

inspiring.

freakshow 06-03-2010 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by no_limitz (Post 6975985)
if newly graded students can demonstrate talent that can beat experience.. well then :thumbsup:.

While this is possible, they generally speaking, look for at least 3 years exp.

7seven 06-03-2010 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AzNightmare (Post 6975006)

The problem is that any good or experienced animator won't want to work for Pixar Vancouver, because you'll be doing their crap work, they rather go work on feature films for Pixar Emeryville or other studios. I know a few animators personally that have turned down offers from Pixar Vancouver due to those reasons. Similar to some of the problems we have on film/tv productions filling some of our VFX positions for rig removal, no good VFX guy wants to be stuck working continually on rig removal.