REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness

Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Athletics, Hockey, Soccer, basketball, organize games/events, aerobics, nutritional supplements. Also the home for sports and sports entertainment threads.

Old 06-02-2010, 11:10 PM   #1
Head of HR....have a seat on that couch

Thanked 15,582 Times in 4,317 Posts
Blown call cost Galarraga perfect game

I'm not a huge MLB fan but given that this is a once in a lifetime achievement, I felt this was an absolute tragedy for this guy - to have his perfect game stolen by a shitty call by the 1st base ump.

It wasn't even that close - he beat the runner by at least half a step. And on the last out? WTF???

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/blog/big...urn=mlb,245292

Advertisement

Originally posted by v.b.
can we stop, my pussy hurts...
Originally posted by asian_XL
fliptuner, I am gonna grab ur dick and pee in your face, then rub shit all over my face...:lol
Originally posted by Fei-Ji
haha i can taste the cum in my mouth
Originally posted by FastAnna
when I was 13 I wanted to be a video hoe so bad

RSUV #7
fliptuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 11:28 PM   #2
Ricer Mod

Thanked 5,276 Times in 1,501 Posts
Wow that would have made 3 in one season... this is the first time 2 in one season has ever been recorded I think...

Berz out.
Old 06-03-2010, 06:50 AM   #3
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Such a bad call by the umpire. I think since every major sport has the "review" now so they should add it to baseball.
411ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 06:54 AM   #4

Watched it again and felt bad for the pitcher. Perfect game is probably one/if not the hardest feat to accomplish in any sport and ruined by the umpire lol.. fireed
Old 06-03-2010, 07:04 AM   #5
Rider

Thanked 2,081 Times in 532 Posts
wow he beat him by a full step
gdoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 08:32 AM   #6
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,060 Times in 1,180 Posts
According to http://www.tsn.ca/mlb/story/?id=323469:

At least the umpire admitted he screwed up, and apologized to Galarraga.
Honest to fucking Christ the easiest way to get a married woman in the mood is clean the house and do the laundry.....I've been with the same girl almost 17 years, ask me how I know. - quasi
Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 08:41 AM   #7
Ricer Mod

Small consolation though. Hey bud... sorry I made a bad call and erased your name from the history books forever. No hard feelings?

Berz out.
Old 06-03-2010, 07:53 PM   #8

Apology or not, the ump and everyone who saw the play knew he was wrong - it's not like he could deny it.

The real hero (of the game and the aftermath) was Galarraga. He took the whole situation better than most would.

At the very least he should get his name in the books (asterisk or not).

fliptuner, I am gonna grab ur dick and pee in your face, then rub shit all over my face...:lol

RSUV #7
Old 06-03-2010, 09:20 PM   #9
RS Veteran

I can't believe Bud Selig would not overturn/reverse the call.
cdnav8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 08:52 AM   #10

Good for Galarraga for handling this with respect. Watching the game yesterday and him going up to the umpire is pure class.. same goes for the whole team/franchise.... at the end of the day, it's a sport, shit happens...and he should just be grateful that he gets to play pro baseball and get paid $$. The whole sports world know that it was a perfect game so I'm sure it's all good now.
Old 06-04-2010, 08:53 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnav8r View Post
I think he said he will jsut look into adding the instant replay option for the umpires now (finally...)
Old 06-06-2010, 09:22 AM   #12
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 1,057 Times in 429 Posts
Quote:
Same here, it happens in the 9th inning with the 1 more out left, ud think the umps would just get together and overturn the call. Totally erased History and this is a perfect example for this

RiceIntegraRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 11:07 PM   #13
The RS Freebie guru

Thanked 2,491 Times in 860 Posts
Quote:
Problem is it opens up a whole other can of worms. Even though this was a ridiculously important blown call in terms of a personal achievement, ultimately it didn't lead to a different outcome of the game itself. If Selig randomly decided this was significant enough to warrant an overturning of the call, it will have significant ramifications for both future and past blown calls.
InvisibleSoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 11:13 PM   #14
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,137 Times in 259 Posts
I'd like baseball to be left the way it is. If they go to video review, may as well not have umps at all.
Old 06-07-2010, 12:00 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by InvisibleSoul View Post
Problem is it opens up a whole other can of worms. Even though this was a ridiculously important blown call in terms of a personal achievement, ultimately it didn't lead to a different outcome of the game itself. If Selig randomly decided this was significant enough to warrant an overturning of the call, it will have significant ramifications for both future and past blown calls.
I totally understand where you're coming from BUT:

- It wasn't only a personal achievement, it takes a whole team to pull off a perfect game.

- Circustances. Had it been any other out than the last one, a case could be made. It was the game ender and was wrong. Given the circumstanes, I think an overrule would be acceptable. No-no's are pretty rare (266 in 135 seasons)

- Technology. Many professional sports have adopted some sort of replay. Maybe it's time for MLB to move it into the 21st century. There are tons of breaks anyways - it's not like it would really interrupt the flow of the game. Maybe 2 appeals/team/game.

RSUV #7
Old 06-07-2010, 06:54 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScizzMoney View Post
I'd like baseball to be left the way it is. If they go to video review, may as well not have umps at all.
And what are they going to do? go to the video replay for every out? every pitch? lol..... Of course it will only be used for "close" calls such as this.
Old 06-07-2010, 10:49 AM   #17
The RS Freebie guru

Thanked 2,491 Times in 860 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fliptuner View Post
I totally understand where you're coming from BUT:

- It wasn't only a personal achievement, it takes a whole team to pull off a perfect game.
That may be true, but really it's a personal achievement for the pitcher. Nobody cares who all the others players that supported him were.

Quote:
- Circustances. Had it been any other out than the last one, a case could be made. It was the game ender and was wrong. Given the circumstanes, I think an overrule would be acceptable. No-no's are pretty rare (266 in 135 seasons)
Well, we're talking about a perfect game, not a no hitter... which has only been done 20 times in history. This would have been the 21st. It's crazy that there has already been two this year, and this should have been the third, and second in less than a week.

But it doesn't matter what the circumstances are... there is nothing defined in the rules that say exceptional circumstances warrants an overrule, so he can't just make a new rule up on the fly after the fact.

Quote:
- Technology. Many professional sports have adopted some sort of replay. Maybe it's time for MLB to move it into the 21st century. There are tons of breaks anyways - it's not like it would really interrupt the flow of the game. Maybe 2 appeals/team/game.
Well, they actually do use video review already... but only for determining whether a ball is a home run or foul ball when it passes by the foul pole. Should it be expanded? Probably.

The thing is in this day and age, way more of the officiating duties COULD be done via electronics... and it would probably be a lot more accurate and consistent than humans. But they always want to preserve the human element to the officiating as much as possible, and it's only when things go egregiously wrong like in this case where they start considering using more technology to reduce human error.
InvisibleSoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 11:13 AM   #18
HELP ME PLS!!!

Thanked 1,816 Times in 450 Posts

Jim Joyce apologize

he sounds pretty sincere and i will forgive him if i were the pitcher
Greenstoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 11:45 AM   #19
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

The pitcher was very humble and nice about it...that was surprising.

If baseball had a review, man it would slow down the game big time. As if it isn't already slow.
Old 06-07-2010, 06:35 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by InvisibleSoul View Post

Well, we're talking about a perfect game, not a no hitter... which has only been done 20 times in history. This would have been the 21st. It's crazy that there has already been two this year, and this should have been the third, and second in less than a week.
Whoops, yeah perfect game. Which IMO warrants special circumstances.

Slow down...baseballl??? Is that even possible?

RSUV #7
Old 06-07-2010, 09:47 PM   #21
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,137 Times in 259 Posts
I am against video replay for all sports. I understand why they are there, a lot of money is on the line each and every game (unless you're the Raptors =P ). I just thinks sports can be one of the last pure things left.

Take this perfect game for example, I didn't watch the whole thing, I watched two innings, oblivious to the fact I could have seen a perfect game (it still is a perfect game in my eyes). There were some strikes that should have been balls. A pitch thrown that is called a strike when shouldn't have is essentially the same as being called safe when out. They have the technology to not even need umpires anymore, but it just wouldn't be the same to most baseball fans.
Old 06-08-2010, 07:25 AM   #22

Why are you guys saying that the sport can be work w/out umpires but just technology.. Can someone explain how that will work? do they have to look up the big screen to see if it was a strike or what the count is or if they are out? lol

I personally like it in sports. i.e. hockey/basketball/football and they only do it in certain plays or hard to judge like did it cross the goal line, did he shoot on time, did he get the 1st down...
Old 06-08-2010, 08:30 AM   #23
Ricer Mod

Well for the batter the strike zone is a defined space between the height of the batter and the width of the plate. You've seen those images where they superimpose the box over the plate and show where the pitcher has thrown every ball against a batter. A computer could just as easy use that exact method to determine if it was a ball or strike and call it accordingly. As for plays at the bases like the one in question you need the human element there to make the call.

Berz out.
Old 06-08-2010, 09:38 AM   #24

Yes, that cam is good for the homeplate but how will the players know if they called it strike or ball if there's no umps? lols. Are they suppose to look up the screen just to see where the pitch was?

Reviews are great as long as it's reasonable and it's still the umpire's call if they should review or not. Otherwise, all managers/players will ask for the damn replay for every 3rd strike called.
Old 06-08-2010, 10:31 AM   #25

Agreed, that's why I said 2/team/game. If they're going to call a review it has to be worth it.

RSUV #7