REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Police Forum

Police Forum Police Head Mod: Skidmark
Questions & info about the Motor Vehicle Act. Mature discussion only.

Old 06-09-2010, 03:16 PM   #51
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 3,340 Times in 841 Posts
I wish I knew about this retrofitting shit before i bought my hids... i didn't know so many people hated on them.
Advertisement
Jgresch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 09:40 PM   #52
I subscribe to Revscene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jgresch View Post
and why bother? well most people will say that they live in a dark area. I'm sure lots of people do it for looks though, but honestly it makes a huge difference for visibility.
I have no problem seeing things with my halogen low-beams. I have been in several cars equipped with HIDs and find there to be very little benefit to them.

I would say HIDs are about on-par with a good halogen projector system. I personally don't like the puddle of extra bright white light they throw down on the ground right in front of the car as it detracts from long-range visibility.

If your car has/had a halogen reflector system, upgrading to a halogen projector system (while illegal) would be a heck of a lot better than tossing HIDs into the reflectors, and probably less dangerous than upgrading to HID projectors.

Also remember this - the more light your car is putting out, the harder it is for oncoming drivers to see.

Support Road safety through education, not speed enforcement.
sebberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 07:08 AM   #53
Banned (ABWS)

While driving in my car, I don't mind those stock cars having illegal HIDs; however, I do mind if a truck has them.
orange7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 08:37 AM   #54
no

Thanked 6,058 Times in 1,222 Posts
^especially a lifted one
jpark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 08:38 AM   #55
Banned (ABWS)

^

true dat!

I don't have auto dimming mirrors, so all the bright light gets reflected right into my eyes.
orange7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 10:32 AM   #56
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Thanked 1,619 Times in 378 Posts
ive been looking for green HID's for a loooong time, anyone know where to get some?

they seem to only come on mercedes cars, I dont know what they do differently.

If i cant get green il just get the pink / purple ones

i grow tired of my blue's
Glove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 01:30 PM   #57
I subscribe to Revscene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jufes View Post
ive been looking for green HID's for a loooong time, anyone know where to get some?

Why would you want inferior lights? Pink and green headlights? Honestly..

If you want to look cool get some blinky lights for your baseball cap.. or something.

Support Road safety through education, not speed enforcement.
sebberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 02:57 PM   #58
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 4,799 Times in 1,763 Posts
Quote:
Why would you ask for where to get an illegal modification in the Police forum?
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 04:14 PM   #59
no

Thanked 6,058 Times in 1,222 Posts
Quote:

i would fail you if i could
jpark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 08:09 PM   #60
RS Peace Officer

Thanked 1,636 Times in 683 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Great68 View Post
Why would you ask for where to get an illegal modification in the Police forum?

Look up the definition of "masochist". )
zulutango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 01:26 AM   #61
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,121 Times in 669 Posts
Q7 with HID is sex LOL dont mind that
xilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 11:43 AM   #62
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulutango View Post
Unless the system you are installing is a full factory system that was offered by the manufacturer for that exact make & model vehicle it is not legal, nor can there be any guarantee that it is safe for you or other road users. If the factory system comes with auto level then you would need that installed as the lights are so bright that they need to be re-aimed. My own car has factory HIDs and it comes with auto level and headlight washer as part of ther factory setup. Each time someone gets in or out of the car, or adds or removes stuff from the trunk, they move up or down.

This is what is frustrating
2008 Mazda3 GT has the HIDs,2008 Mazda3 GS does not (not even an option).These vehicles are identical except for different wheels,leather seats and a few surface differences.I couldn't put a factory GT HIDs and projectors into my GS and be legal,simply because Mazda wants you to pay a lot more for the GT package when all you want is the HID.
Old 06-13-2010, 12:14 PM   #63
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

I read that as legal.. the make is Mazda, the Model is 3.. different package, but essentially the same car.

What is not legal is taking HID projectors from another car and making them fit on your car. Or Ebay retrofit kits that are (likely) made in China but were never available from the manufacturer... eg my Crapalier, which has several options for projector kits on Ebay, but never came with them from GM. So that would be illegal.
Old 06-15-2010, 12:49 AM   #64
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebberry View Post
I have no problem seeing things with my halogen low-beams. I have been in several cars equipped with HIDs and find there to be very little benefit to them.

I would say HIDs are about on-par with a good halogen projector system. I personally don't like the puddle of extra bright white light they throw down on the ground right in front of the car as it detracts from long-range visibility.

If your car has/had a halogen reflector system, upgrading to a halogen projector system (while illegal) would be a heck of a lot better than tossing HIDs into the reflectors, and probably less dangerous than upgrading to HID projectors.

Also remember this - the more light your car is putting out, the harder it is for oncoming drivers to see.
This is where your argument seems so ridiculous. If your petition was simply to ban illegal/aftermarket/retrofit HID's, I'd sign it. As it is, you're just petitioning against something you don't like the look of. You clearly don't have a good understanding of why they're preferable to standard halogen lights.

1.) They draw less power from the vehicle (80 watts).

2.) They last 3x as long as standard halogen headlights, and they are more durable over bumps (no filament). This greatly reduces the likelihood of a headlight burning out when you're driving at night.

3.) Visibility for the driver is far greater. HID headlamps produce up to 25% more light, and the radius of light is up to 70% greater. The light itself is more visible to the human eye and thus allows for better detection of peripheral objects or movements.

4) They provide more uniform intensity. The light output is "sharp" and they don't "spray" light like halogens do, even at greater distances. Picture a laser vs a flashlight (albeit less pronounced). This reduces glare for oncoming vehicles. See this Example Pic.

The difference between a high-quality OEM Xenon headlight and a standard-wattage halogen bulb is huge. Quite frankly, when I drive a vehicle that's not equipped with HID headlights, I have to drive much slower and more cautiously at night. The light output is significantly and noticeably decreased, and this becomes particularly apparent on dark rural roads when you're using high-beams. (HID high beams are amazing thanks to the incredibly wide spectrum of light.)

As for oncoming vehicles, there is indeed more light, but University of Michigan researchers have shown it is not "disabling" - in other words, it doesn't hurt your ability to see - it's simply annoying (Source). The light is also more noticeable for many drivers because of its blue-ish hue, which makes them look into the light for longer than they would a halogen bulb.

Additionally, even if there is a very slight and temporary increase in glare for oncoming vehicles, those traveling in an HID-equipped vehicle are safer 100% of the time. The "net effect," in other words, is that the roads are safer overall... especially when you consider that you're not always facing oncoming traffic.

"We think there is some problem with glare, but we think it's a good trade-off," Flannagan says. "Our overall opinion of HIDs is that they are good things. HID lamps can be, and normally are, better for seeing." - conclusions from a University of Michigan 10-year study on HID headlights.

In other words: OEM-installed HID headlights are better than halogen bulbs, and they're here to stay.
Amaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 05:22 AM   #65
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

what about those companies out there making DOT approved Projector Kits for Some cars? they are good quality, and one company i found even has the circuitry included for auto leveling, they are still illegal in the car i want to put them in, but they do look nicer and do a much better job of putting the light where it should go.
Street Car --> 15.45 | Vega --> 11.65
seekerbeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 07:56 AM   #66
My homepage has been set to RS

ill like to see this getting enforced. but very unlikely that it would happen.
tool001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 08:03 AM   #67
Media Officer / MOD

Thanked 5,751 Times in 1,724 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by seekerbeta View Post
what about those companies out there making DOT approved Projector Kits for Some cars? they are good quality, and one company i found even has the circuitry included for auto leveling, they are still illegal in the car i want to put them in, but they do look nicer and do a much better job of putting the light where it should go.
those will always be garbage. all those projectors that you see that is with halos and leds are garbage. those are generally using plastic projectors and those are generally small thus giving a pencil beam width and the worst glare for on-coming vehicles. Another point most of those are made to fit h1/h7 halogen light bulbs thus not for use with hid.

all oem hid projectors has a smooth cut-off and no very little colour.

usa dot

euro dot
Quick link to personal reviews -> Website YouTube
Official Revscene Instagram Coordinator
!Aznboi128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 08:22 AM   #68
RS Peace Officer

Thanked 1,636 Times in 683 Posts
One thing to remember...DOT does not "approve" , they set a technical standard that has to be met by the manufacturer. If it meets that standard then it can be said that it meets thoses standards....not that DOT has tested it personally and said it's OK.
zulutango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 12:51 PM   #69
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaru View Post
This is where your argument seems so ridiculous. If your petition was simply to ban illegal/aftermarket/retrofit HID's, I'd sign it.
Agreed. That petition is a waste of time (as are ALL online petitions.. you are really wasting your time... they do nothing, ever!).

Properly installed HIDs in factory projectors = a good thing.

HID bulbs stuffed in regular reflector (non-projector) housings... very bad. Makes me mad.
Old 07-01-2010, 12:51 PM   #70
RS Lurker, I don't post!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlenko View Post
Sort of in reference to this thread:

I've noticed a huge increase recently of illegal HID kits being installed in regular (aka stock) reflector housings. Mostly fart-cannon-equipped Hondas and the like, but also in trucks, and a bunch of regular stock cars... Aside blue headlights from the blindingly bright light output... some of them aren't just white.. the blue, green and today's shocker - pink! - HID kits are a pain in the retina.

So.. my question.. who do I have to petition to get police to do a crack-down on illegal headlights and HID kits?
I hate when I see the pink ones...
silverbulletguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 02:21 PM   #71
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,913 Times in 3,873 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaru View Post
This is where your argument seems so ridiculous. If your petition was simply to ban illegal/aftermarket/retrofit HID's, I'd sign it. As it is, you're just petitioning against something you don't like the look of. You clearly don't have a good understanding of why they're preferable to standard halogen lights.

<snip>

The difference between a high-quality OEM Xenon headlight and a standard-wattage halogen bulb is huge. Quite frankly, when I drive a vehicle that's not equipped with HID headlights, I have to drive much slower and more cautiously at night. The light output is significantly and noticeably decreased, and this becomes particularly apparent on dark rural roads when you're using high-beams. (HID high beams are amazing thanks to the incredibly wide spectrum of light.)

As for oncoming vehicles, there is indeed more light, but University of Michigan researchers have shown it is not "disabling" - in other words, it doesn't hurt your ability to see - it's simply annoying (Source). The light is also more noticeable for many drivers because of its blue-ish hue, which makes them look into the light for longer than they would a halogen bulb.

Additionally, even if there is a very slight and temporary increase in glare for oncoming vehicles, those traveling in an HID-equipped vehicle are safer 100% of the time. The "net effect," in other words, is that the roads are safer overall... especially when you consider that you're not always facing oncoming traffic.

"We think there is some problem with glare, but we think it's a good trade-off," Flannagan says. "Our overall opinion of HIDs is that they are good things. HID lamps can be, and normally are, better for seeing." - conclusions from a University of Michigan 10-year study on HID headlights.

In other words: OEM-installed HID headlights are better than halogen bulbs, and they're here to stay.
the problem I have with them is that for city use you barely need headlights to begin with (due to street lamps) as proven b the number of people you can see driving around that forget to turn them on. More light from oncoming vehicles makes it harder to see everything else, including pedestrians and the like.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote