REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 06-09-2010, 10:51 AM   #26
Banned (ABWS)

Thanked 1,105 Times in 540 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jgresch View Post
5 years 120k i think.

and to all the others, I'm just helping op with his original question...
No more picking on you for money savings - if the OP wants to waste his $$$ on an extended warranty, so be it

The extended warranty was even less worth it for me cause of the KMs limit. I just searched Old Republic and it seems it tops out at 160K kms over 10 years. You'd have to be driving your car ~15K kms/yr to take full advantage of this warranty. OP, how many kms are on the 05 E55?

For the time limit, what year do they use? model year, or build year? Ie I have a 2003, yet built and purchased in 2002.
Advertisement
taylor192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 10:57 AM   #27
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 3,340 Times in 841 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by taylor192 View Post
No more picking on you for money savings - if the OP wants to waste his $$$ on an extended warranty, so be it

The extended warranty was even less worth it for me cause of the KMs limit. I just searched Old Republic and it seems it tops out at 160K kms over 10 years. You'd have to be driving your car ~15K kms/yr to take full advantage of this warranty. OP, how many kms are on the 05 E55?

For the time limit, what year do they use? model year, or build year? Ie I have a 2003, yet built and purchased in 2002.
Max is 9 years from in service date with OR I believe, we have like 5-6 different companies and they all slightly vary.

Yea, max is 160km, they offer 120s as well if you drive the car less.

OP if you're really set on buying a warranty, I'm back at work on Saturday, I can check out our cost on a specific warranty if you want to save a few bucks. I can't make any money off it anyway so I have nothing to lose.

Edit: that 10 year your looking at is a wrap plan, You need to have factory bumper to bumper remianing to qaulify for that, and its uber expensive. Benz will only make it up to 5 years. And the KM terms are plus the current kms, so if you have 50km on your car and you buy 5 year/120, it means youre covered to 170km... which is liek 24/km of driving a year

Last edited by Jgresch; 06-09-2010 at 11:04 AM.
Jgresch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 11:17 AM   #28
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

I don't know if you have to get this from a authorized dealer, but
Coast to Coast is an option.
SuperAman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 03:11 PM   #29

I know I want this thread to die, but I just got back from Hyundai reading my two lights on right now(abs, tcs) and my speed sensor is bad. 489$ to fix and its covered lol just thought I should add that to my growing list....
Old 06-09-2010, 04:17 PM   #30
RabidMod

Thanked 1,083 Times in 405 Posts
For those of you citing the fact that warranty companies aren't in it to lose money, that on average, they will make more money off your premiums than they pay out to you for repairs, I think you're missing the point.

Of course on average they're making more off your premiums. That's how they're not bankrupt. The whole point is that when some poor fucker gets blind-sided years later with a $15,000 problem, they won't suddenly be out $15,000. They'll be out the original $2000 or whatever it costs for the extended warranty.

It's just insurance.

The real issue is whether or not these warranty companies will fuck you when you really need them. Which is why the OP is asking if there are any good extended warranty vendors. The ones curtis listed off would not be examples of good extended warranty vendors.
Old 06-09-2010, 07:47 PM   #31

^thank you!!!! lol i've been saying it's like insurance

I listed two reputable, GOOD warranty companies in my first post. I used it again today, all they needed was my KM/VIN and policy number, then had to confirm the part/service work with the service rep and I was on my way, nto a dime out of my pocket, no questions asked
Old 06-09-2010, 10:51 PM   #32
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Well. If you sell them would you be able to help me get a quote for them?

Its a 2005 E55 w/80k KM
Posted via RS Mobile
ShyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 10:31 AM   #33
Banned (ABWS)

Thanked 1,105 Times in 540 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RabidRat View Post
For those of you citing the fact that warranty companies aren't in it to lose money, that on average, they will make more money off your premiums than they pay out to you for repairs, I think you're missing the point.

Of course on average they're making more off your premiums. That's how they're not bankrupt. The whole point is that when some poor fucker gets blind-sided years later with a $15,000 problem, they won't suddenly be out $15,000. They'll be out the original $2000 or whatever it costs for the extended warranty.

It's just insurance.
I buy additional insurance cause I cannot afford to pay out $Ms in liability.
I don't buy extended warranties cause I can afford to pay $Ks for repairs.

Insurance is to protect you from liabilities you cannot afford. Someone buying an E55 and throwing down $4-5K for an extended warranty should be able to afford the liabilities.

The whole point is that poor fucker might be out $15K one time out of 10, yet paid $2K 10 times for a total of $20K.
taylor192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 03:29 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShyGuy View Post
Well. If you sell them would you be able to help me get a quote for them?

Its a 2005 E55 w/80k KM
Posted via RS Mobile
I'm at work saturday, I'll get you info on a couple different options then.
Old 06-10-2010, 04:09 PM   #35
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

I'm on Secure Drive with my MINI. Cost me $2000 for the 3 year warranty. The total cost of parts+labour that have been used towards repairs so far is $4200. I've had a crank pulley, harmonic balancer, two front axles, two power steering pumps, a radiator plus some other misc. associated repairs done so far.

The A4 that my wife drives isn't on any sort of warranty as the car is pretty reliable.
Old 04-27-2011, 06:08 PM   #36
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 1,357 Times in 508 Posts
With all that said, if you know your cars and keep up with basic maintenance, it's really difficult to actually wind up with a repair bill that justifies the insurance.

It really only makes sense if you bought a really dodgy vehicle (unknown history, unknown records, from USA with possible hidden "washed" damage records).

Anything that's driven locally in a reasonable manner (20,000km/year) is unlikely to fail in such a way that if you keep the car for more than 5 years after any major repairs where you won't be able to offset the insurance money.

Unless you have OCD and every single component on your car you are demanding perfection... even then the deductible makes it hardly worth it, because that deductible easily takes up half of the labour cost usually.

Some extended warranty does not demand a deductible but those are restricted strictly to bought-showroom-floor new vehicles...other 3rd party insurance generally speaking has a deductible in any major claims...

• 2017 Alfa Romeo Giula Q4
  • 1999 Nissan Stagea 260RS 1 of 748
  • 1998 Nissan Laurel Medallion Club S drift boi
  • 1991 Lexus LS400 mint boi
  • 1989 Nissan S-Cargo cute boi
hk20000 is offline   Reply With Quote