REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Technical Discussion > Automotive Detailing & Car Care Tech

Automotive Detailing & Car Care Tech THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Discussion on how to keep your car shining bright and make them heads turn..

Old 06-09-2010, 08:16 PM   #1
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Washing using clay bar? NOOB ALERT

All I use is soap, and air dry. Im buying a black car and would like to make it shine. I dont have an orbitor polisher thingy. What are some simple steps I can take to make the car look its best. Is there a simple spray and wipe for shine on the market? if so , then what do you recomend. Just point me in the right direction and what products I should get.

from,

Noob.
Advertisement
to0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 09:04 PM   #2
c32
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Claybar, then wax... good to go... unless u got sht loads a swirls, get a pro to cut polish it..
c32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 09:18 PM   #3
Need to Seek Professional Help

As phucmang said, wash, clay(to remove any bonded contaminats-the stuff you feel when you run your hand over your clean paint ) and wax. We carry Werkstat Acrylic Jett Trigger, Optimum Car Wax and a few other spray and wipe products that are very easy to use.
911fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 07:17 AM   #4
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

Good things have been said about Optimum Car Wax spray. Another good spray wax is Meguiars Ultimate spray wax which you can get at Walmart and Canadian Tire.

Be prepared to wash frequently and wax often to keep the black shiney.
jakolantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 02:40 AM   #5
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 1,379 Times in 578 Posts
it is possible to to have a pro cut polish out swirls and than through proper washing technique + frequent claybar + spray waxing keep a black car completely swirl free without going back to a detailer every year?

My car is a year old and I use the 2 bucket wash method since day one and optimum spray wax every second wash. I still have swirl... Today I just clay bar it for the first time and thanks to my noobiness create some more new swirl that I can't possibly remove with hand + poli seal.

Asking becuase i'm debating on whether to spent a few bills on a proffessional detail, but if it just a temporal solution and there is no way to avoid swirl i might just invest the money into getting a PC with all the proper polish and pads.
threezero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 10:29 AM   #6
My homepage has been set to RS

Swirls are inevitable, in order to minimize swirls you must wash your car extremely meticulously.

Are you using a grit guard in your 2 bucket technique? I began using 2 grit guards for both soap and water, but now I only use the grit in the water bucket. From experience, I am able to remove 99% of the debris in my rinse bucket while saving myself 1 gallon of soap each wash (grit guard occupies about 1 gallon in your bucket)

Here's a tip that I've come across from experience. I use a microfiber wash mitt and when I reach the lower panels (lower doors, side skirts, rear bumper, dirty section), I lightly drag sections of my mitt to remove dirt, then flip over and use the fresh side for more pressure. Refer to my picture:

The red line is where you want the mitt to touch the panel. You want to drag the mitt across the panel only on the red line by making a "gun" with your index fingers. I don't put my hand in the mitt, I just hold it. Angle/half-fold the mitt so you don't get the fresh sections of the mitt dirty. You don't need to use pressure in this step! You just want to gently wipe away the debris that the hose didn't get rid of. After you've done all 3 steps, flip the mitt over and now you can use pressure and thoroughly clean the panel. Then, rub the dirty side of the mitt against your grit guard to clean out the debris. If done right, you should not see any color change (dirt) on the pressure side of the mitt. 95% of the dirt should be on the side where you 3 sectioned the mitt.

If you want to take it up a notch, invest in a pressure washer and use a foam cannon to help get the debris off before using a mitt. The 3 section mitt technique I used has minimized swirling for me when I never had a pressure washer. I still use this technique regardless.

Are you using a premium microfiber when you apply Opt spray wax? Did you wash off all the debris before? Turning the microfiber cloth frequently will minimize swirls from leftover debris.

If you don't plan to correct swirls after claying, again you must be very meticulous about your process. The dirt embedded in the clay can swirl up your paint if you use too much pressure, worse on a black car. Go slow; use a softer clay like Riccardo Yellow, and use light pressure on a surface treated with a generous amount of clay lube. Fold the clay frequently, less dirt = less swirls. Resist the urge to start going buck wild claying large portions at a time quickly unless you plan to polish after.

Investing in a PC and pads would be a wise choice for the long-term. It'll pay for itself very quickly if you baby your car.

feedback
http://www.revscene.net/forums/showt...ighlight=noizz

Last edited by Noizz; 07-03-2010 at 11:25 AM.
Noizz is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-03-2010, 01:26 PM   #7
is best wrench

Thanked 1,208 Times in 272 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by threezero View Post
it is possible to to have a pro cut polish out swirls and than through proper washing technique + frequent claybar + spray waxing keep a black car completely swirl free without going back to a detailer every year?

My car is a year old and I use the 2 bucket wash method since day one and optimum spray wax every second wash. I still have swirl... Today I just clay bar it for the first time and thanks to my noobiness create some more new swirl that I can't possibly remove with hand + poli seal.

Asking becuase i'm debating on whether to spent a few bills on a proffessional detail, but if it just a temporal solution and there is no way to avoid swirl i might just invest the money into getting a PC with all the proper polish and pads.
I think you should just get the PC with the pads and everything and do it yourself. It will save you alot more money in the long run than finding someone to do it for you, plus, its a good skill to have
monkeywrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 02:18 PM   #8
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 1,379 Times in 578 Posts
i use high quality mf for the spray waxing, one i got from ken and i do use a grit guard in my water bucket. i'm using the optimum clay bar is it better to wet the whole bar first? is there suh thing as too much lubrication? I try spraying so much lube that the clay just glades but i feel its not doing it job. After claying i still see some embedded material on the paint i guess that i can ony get those off with polish?

Can i use a PC to fix deeap scratches and rock chips?
threezero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 03:53 PM   #9
My homepage has been set to RS

After claying i still see some embedded material on the paint i guess that i can ony get those off with polish?
Depends what it is. If its sticky tar/bugs, use tar/bug remover.

Can i use a PC to fix deeap scratches and rock chips?
If you see primer or metal, no.

feedback
http://www.revscene.net/forums/showt...ighlight=noizz
Noizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 07:37 AM   #10
Need to Seek Professional Help

As stated, if you are really fussy about your car, invest in the PC and supplies. Its easy to use and the whole kit is less than having your car polished. If you get it from me, come by the shop to pick it up and I'll show you how to use it.
911fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 04:07 PM   #11
How I Mod your mother

Noizz's lightly drag the mitt across technique sounds interesting. I've never tried doing that before
[19-07, 16:52] bloodmack: EB did u change my avatar and title?
Quote:
[19-07, 16:54] El Bastardo: bm i have no idea what you're talking about because i don't speak gorilla
!Yaminashi is offline   Reply With Quote