REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Vacations and World Travel

Vacations and World Travel Visiting our beautiful city? Come stay at the Arbutus Vista - Vancouver's Bed & Breakfast.
How was your trip? Which tour packages would you recommend/avoid? Must do's and must eats? Share tips, photos and experiences with other senior RS members who just want to get away..

Old 06-10-2010, 07:58 AM   #1
I subscribe to the Revscene NWS thread(s)

Must have travel apps

I was searching around yesterday for apps for iPod/iPhone and the BB for my upcoming NYC trip and saw there's a ton of apps out there for virtually every facet of travelling.

I figured it would be a good idea to maybe start a thread to get some ideas and reviews from you folks to see what you've used that you would recommend. If someone's got some ideas for NYC travel apps (transit planners, attraction guides, food guides) or for any other city can you post what you thought of them?

A few that I've tried:
TripIt: Pretty nice interface that shows a summary of your travel plans. You basically e-mail your itinerary to TripIt and it parses out the info and puts it up neatly arranged onto a page and sends you alerts on when the particular event is due. You can share your travel plans with the apps so family and friends can know where you'll be. It's available on the iPhone and BB (and probably Android now)

Yelp: Great for food recommendations and reviews. I believe the iPhone version uses GPS location to tell you what's nearby. Pretty self explanatory. It's just like the website, except on your phone.

Anyone else have any that they would recommend?

Anyone been to New York and have any trip planners (specifically transit route planning) that they'd recommend? I saw a ton of them on the Apple apps store but many of them are pay to use, and while I don't mind paying, I'd like to see if I can find the best one possible and just pay once for it. I'd also prefer offline maps since I'll be using it on an iPod Touch (but for others, offline would be better to reduce data charges)
Advertisement
syee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 08:02 AM   #2
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,814 Times in 8,189 Posts
MetrO, for train schedules. VERY handy. Available for WinMo and iPhone
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 08:11 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
MetrO, for train schedules. VERY handy. Available for WinMo and iPhone
Thanks! Looks pretty good. Downloaded and I'll try it out locally to see how well it works.
Old 06-10-2010, 08:34 AM   #4

It was a life saver in Japan, I wish I had known about it much earlier!
Old 06-10-2010, 08:40 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
It was a life saver in Japan, I wish I had known about it much earlier!
Have you used it in HK? How accurate is it there? My brother lives/works out there and I'm thinking of visiting him sometime this year and would like to have a transit planner to get around.

I've noticed in the user comments that some cities (especially the Canadian ones) are kind of lacking in details. It seems like NYC is pretty well represented on there so I'm hoping it won't send me down a back alley in Harlem in the middle of the night.
Old 06-10-2010, 09:10 AM   #6

No, there's no need for it in HK, the lines are so simple here
Old 06-10-2010, 09:39 AM   #7
SFICC-03*

Thanked 2,454 Times in 987 Posts
japanese subway = total wtf
unit is online now   Reply With Quote