REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > The Business and Financial Forum

The Business and Financial Forum THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Revscene Wall Street.
Consolidating debt? Good business tips? Buying stock? How's our economy doing? Discuss and share advice and tools on everyday banking, investing, wealth management and insurance.

Old 06-11-2010, 06:59 PM   #1
Need my Daily Fix of RS

TFSA question - moving from savings to stocks

I have made about $9000 in contributions to the TFSA account, is there a way I can transfer that into investing without going over my limit? What I mean is, I should have $1000 left in contribution room, does that mean I can only invest $1000 in stocks in TFSA? or can I move everything over and still be ok?
Advertisement
canucksfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 07:27 PM   #2
HELP ME PLS!!!

you should be able to move all 9k from the savings acount into stocks... and also add another 1000 if you want.
johny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 11:14 PM   #3
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Johny's info was a bit unclear. You need to apply for a transfer or you will be penalized.

Don't just withdraw it and deposit it into another TFSA account.
iceburner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 08:54 PM   #4
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

iceburner is correct,

depending on the provider you are choosing there should be an option for you to "transfer funds from another account".
should do it electronically for you or at most require you to fill out a manual form and send off for processing.
penalties for overcontributing to a TFSA is something like 1% of the excess per month
woooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 10:49 AM   #5
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Make sure you're transferring funds within the same institution though if the funds are contributed in the same year! (for example transferring from RBC TFSA savings to RBC Direct Investing). If you are transferring to a different financial institution (eg. RBC to Scotia iTrade), eventhough you are transferring from a TFSA to TFSA they would still consider it a withdrawl of the year and a contribution, which might signal an overcontribution.
giCe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 03:45 PM   #6
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by giCe View Post
Make sure you're transferring funds within the same institution though if the funds are contributed in the same year! (for example transferring from RBC TFSA savings to RBC Direct Investing). If you are transferring to a different financial institution (eg. RBC to Scotia iTrade), eventhough you are transferring from a TFSA to TFSA they would still consider it a withdrawl of the year and a contribution, which might signal an overcontribution.
actually TFSA to TFSA directly would be like a transfer in kind, just like if you transfered your RRSP from one provider to another.
woooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 05:05 PM   #7
I came, I saw, I conquered.

Sorry to bump this thread back up.

Lets say if I maxed out my TFSA trading account ($15K) and over the years I made some money and ended up with $20K total. How do I go about switching TFSA accounts? (from TD to Scotia) Do I apply for a transfer and will I be able to transfer all my funds over without over contributing? Also, can I transfer all my stocks over or do I have to liquidate everything before I can transfer? Thanks!
Old 01-19-2011, 09:10 PM   #8
I don't get it

I don't think you have to worry. Since you want to move to Scotia, sign the transition form for Scotia and they will pull all the funds in-kind from your TD account. The TD account will pull everything over and since you're doing a "in-kind" transfer your initial buy prices will remain.

Scotia charged me $125/account to close out the account when I transferred my TFSA and Direct Investing. The new bank will eat the charge to take you on as a client so make sure you make you submit the statements for reimbursement.

I left Scotia Itrade as the trading platform was absolute junk and now use RBC.
suzuka84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 03:25 PM   #9

^Whats the cheapest trading platform that offers TFSA? Commission at TD is killing me..

Do I call them for the reimbursement or is there a form for me to fill?

Thanks
Old 01-20-2011, 04:18 PM   #10
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

i use questrade at $4.95-$9.95 max, can't go wrong
hirevtuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 06:53 PM   #11

Can u open a TFSA with questrade?
Old 01-20-2011, 09:08 PM   #12
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

yes u can, don't know if it was limited time thing but if you transfer to them, they waive the transfer fee from where your money was
hirevtuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 09:29 PM   #13
I don't get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slifer View Post
^Whats the cheapest trading platform that offers TFSA? Commission at TD is killing me..

Do I call them for the reimbursement or is there a form for me to fill?

Thanks
if you have over $50k in asset they all charge 9.95.

you don't have to fill out a form, once you give the new bank the OK to pull the funds/cash you will see the incumbent bank levy a transaction fee for about $120-$140. You're going to call customer service for the investing side of the new bank and they'll give you a number to fax in the statement showing you were penalized $120ish and they'll reimburse that amount directly into your investing account.
suzuka84 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-22-2011, 08:49 AM   #14

So I was reading at TD's commission rates. If i have over 50k and under 100k its $9.95. What happens if I have over 100k? Anyone with TD can explain?