REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Closed Thread

Old 10-02-2010, 04:49 PM   #4601
Banned (ABWS)

Thanked 1,763 Times in 592 Posts
we are going to get crushed in the playoff by SJ LA ANA by lack of toughness
although sedins seem to play more agressive lately which is a plus
Advertisement
Old 10-02-2010, 05:02 PM   #4602
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 1,057 Times in 429 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRS View Post
I don't think the cap works like that.

My understanding of the cap was that the players average salary will work against the cap if he is in the line-up. This does not mean that he gets X taken off if he is on LTIR because he plays less and therefore is less against the cap.

I thought it was when the player returns, his full cap hit will come into effect but remain dormant if he is injured.
I didnt really get what u just said but. Lets take burrows for example. If hes on LTIR for 20 Games thats 1/4 of the regular season. That means 1/4 of his annual salary of 2Million wont affect us which is $500,000
Old 10-02-2010, 05:12 PM   #4603
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,312 Times in 5,633 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiceIntegraRS View Post
I didnt really get what u just said but. Lets take burrows for example. If hes on LTIR for 20 Games thats 1/4 of the regular season. That means 1/4 of his annual salary of 2Million wont affect us which is $500,000
this is my understanding as to how it works
Old 10-02-2010, 05:31 PM   #4604
CRS
ninja edits your posts without your knowledge

Thanked 6,308 Times in 1,776 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiceIntegraRS View Post
No.

I think the wording for the salary cap was that regardless of how long you are out for, the avg salary will still hit the team cap.

So when burrows comes back, even if out for 1/2 of the season, his hit will be 2mil.

I hope I'm wrong, I know it's stupid but I think that it is the wording for how the salary cap works.

My FeedBack 53-0-0
Old 10-02-2010, 05:52 PM   #4605
This title intentionally left blank MOD

Quote:
No.

I think the wording for the salary cap was that regardless of how long you are out for, the avg salary will still hit the team cap.

So when burrows comes back, even if out for 1/2 of the season, his hit will be 2mil.

I hope I'm wrong, I know it's stupid but I think that it is the wording for how the salary cap works.
You are wrong. Their cap hit disappears while they are on the LTIR. Only their cap hit for the games they can suit up for, potentially, will be counted against the cap. If a player is on the roster, but is a healthy scratch, their cap hit still counts against the cap. If they're injured and on the LTIR, it doesn't. In Salo's case, if he comes back for 10 games, only those 10 games count against the cap. In Burrow's case, if he missed 15-20 games, that doesn't count against the cap. You don't get penalized for the cap hit a player has if they are unable to play due to injury otherwise you'd have goons all over the NHL just taking out star players so that a team would have to fill in the gaps with others, and then be screwed if/when those large cap hit players were ready to come back. Just one example. Bad example, I know, but it is an example.

It's a good thing, in ways, that Burrows and Salo are on the LTIR. Salo may miss the entire season with his achilles tendon injury, so that's about 3.5m off the cap which definitely helps.

I don't have an anger problem. I have an idiot problem.
Old 10-02-2010, 06:00 PM   #4606
RS controls my life!

Quote:
No.

What you said is correct, but there is a LTIR replacement that teams can utilize to exceed the cap if they're at the cap ceiling.

I found this on another board that explains it pretty well:

Quote:
How does LTIR work? Does my team gain cap space when a player goes on it?

LTIR is a somewhat difficult concept to understand correctly because there are many simplifications that have been disseminated over message boards and even the mainstream media that are incorrect.

When a player goes on LTIR, his cap hit does not “come off the books” so to speak. What LTIR allows a team to do, is to exceed the cap ceiling by a certain amount if they choose to do so.

Let’s look at a hypothetical example: The cap ceiling is at 50 million and a player with a cap hit of 5 million is placed on LTIR for the remainder of the season. If the team had a salary cap of 50 million, then they would be allowed to exceed the cap ceiling by 5 million. They can do this with call-ups, trades or free agent signings. If the team had a salary cap of 48 million, they can only exceed the cap ceiling by 3 million. If the team had a salary cap of 45 million or less, then they cannot exceed the cap ceiling at all.

A team does not cap space by having a player go on LTIR, rather they gain the ability to exceed the cap ceiling by a certain amount.

What’s the distinction between exceeding the cap ceiling and gaining cap space? Isn’t it the same thing?

No. They key difference is that LTIR cap relief is not “bankable”. For example, in 2009-10 Montreal Canadiens’ Andrei Markov missed 3 months due to an injury and was placed on LTIR. This allowed the Canadiens to exceed the cap ceiling by a considerable amount had they chosen to do so. However, the Canadiens made no major moves and remained under the cap. Markov’s stint on LTIR did not ‘save’ the Canadiens cap space that could be applied later in the season to acquire a high priced player. “If you don’t use it, you lose it”.

Please note that for teams who do end up exceeding the cap ceiling due to players on LTIR have to mindful of the player’s eventual return. If the Canadiens had replaced Markov with another high priced player, they would have been required to make cap room for both Markov and said player when Markov returned.
Old 10-02-2010, 07:56 PM   #4607
regulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawn79 View Post
who all do these teams have that are so tough? The Nucks may not have a bunch of goons, but they are a gritty team. Samuelsson, Kesler, Burrows, Torres, Rypien, Glass, Bieksa all play a fairly chippy style.

Why didn't lack of toughness ever stop the Red Wings from succeeding?
Old 10-02-2010, 08:00 PM   #4608

the toughness we always lacked were those 3rd and 4th lines that can match up against the other teams top lines and shut them down, then when needed they can match up against another teams 3rd/4th and be tough enough and skilled enough to play against that they come out ahead the majority of the time wether it be puck possession or physical play

Chicago had depth to their lines that could produce and we really had no answer for them, sure Ryan Johnson could block shots but he had absolutely zero offensive upsides, so you go out against a team that has you hemmed up in your own zone, crashing the net, etc. and you cant do shit because you dont have the skillset to match up with them

Phyiscality isnt needed in the majority of top 2 lines, you just need toughness and skill and i think both our first and 2nd lines have grown into those types

I'd really love to meet Chicago in the playoffs again just for the oportunity to beat them finally
Old 10-02-2010, 10:16 PM   #4609
I'm better than you.

Thanked 3,087 Times in 658 Posts
stamkos is a beassstttt

'14 Toyota Yaris [Work Daily]
'89 Toyota Cressida MX83 [Collector's status]
'15 Honda Ruckus [Summer cruiser]
'96 Toyota Hilux Surf KZN185 [Weekend Warrior]

Buy & Sell Ratings!
Old 10-03-2010, 01:34 AM   #4610
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 2,584 Times in 610 Posts
Rumor is that Grabner is to be sent down.
Old 10-03-2010, 02:21 AM   #4611
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 7,318 Times in 647 Posts

This post thanked by:
Old 10-03-2010, 03:25 AM   #4612
...in the world.

Thanked 7,636 Times in 2,321 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psb1 View Post
O'brien & Hordi cut from lineup.
This is getting good!!

A little late to make the move to dump Hordi and O'brien waiver is a no brainer since Albert was absolutely gunning for his spot which he did.

I'm liking how the Canucks brass is getting rid of all the dead weight and useless players.
Let the young prospects shine and were gonna have a sick good team this year.

I don't want to see them sign Morrisson or Shaefer. Let Tambi have a shot he deserves it plus if he makes the team, remember his dad is GM of the oilers. Could be some thank you favors in the form of a trade at the trading deadline. Who knows..
I'm this close to just banning you from this site because you are pants-on-head retarded and I'm afraid your stupidity will infest REVscene like some sort of super AIDS.
Old 10-03-2010, 03:26 AM   #4613
...in the world.

Thanked 7,636 Times in 2,321 Posts
Whoever is in charge of marketing for the NHL needs a raise. This campaign isn't as good as the History Will Be Made but some very strong material there nonetheless.

They need to make one with Louie, Kesler or the Sedins.
Old 10-03-2010, 03:44 AM   #4614
y'all better put some respeck on my name

Thanked 9,244 Times in 2,359 Posts
I love the new NHL ad's. I can't wait to see the spoofs people come up with this year.
Old 10-03-2010, 05:07 AM   #4615
Banned (ABWS)?

Thanked 3,984 Times in 1,689 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin View Post
Whoever is in charge of marketing for the NHL needs a raise. This campaign isn't as good as the History Will Be Made but some very strong material there nonetheless.

They need to make one with Louie, Kesler or the Sedins.
I dunno... I liked the "History Will Be Made", but it got overplayed after.
Partially because they were so easy to replicate and spoof, I couldn't
even tell which were the real ones. Every kid out there that knew a bit
of video editing where spamming them all over youtube.

Anyway, some of these new ones looked a bit weak.
I found the Ovie one kind of comical. lol. Probably because of the cheesy
camera shaking.

They definitely need a Canucks one.
Last edited by AzNightmare; Today at 10:09 AM
Old 10-03-2010, 07:25 AM   #4616
I'm better than you.

Thanked 3,087 Times in 658 Posts
The Ryan Miller ad was nutty

'14 Toyota Yaris [Work Daily]
'89 Toyota Cressida MX83 [Collector's status]
'15 Honda Ruckus [Summer cruiser]
'96 Toyota Hilux Surf KZN185 [Weekend Warrior]

Buy & Sell Ratings!
Old 10-03-2010, 07:44 AM   #4617
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,731 Times in 1,322 Posts
Quote:
I don't think the cap works like that.

My understanding of the cap was that the players average salary will work against the cap if he is in the line-up. This does not mean that he gets X taken off if he is on LTIR because he plays less and therefore is less against the cap.

I thought it was when the player returns, his full cap hit will come into effect but remain dormant if he is injured.
Take the players salary and divide it by the length of the NHL season in days. That number is the amount of money that is not counted towards the cap for every day that player is on LTIR.

The full cap hit does not come back because you had to pay someone to fill that spot well the injured player was gone it would be like double dipping.

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I don´t care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. That´s how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
Old 10-03-2010, 08:01 AM   #4618
mb_
WUB WUB WUB WUB WUB

Thanked 7,009 Times in 1,889 Posts
Grabner waived. Grab him MG!

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowguy View Post
fuck you hipster
Quote:
Originally Posted by trollguy View Post
then fuck you hipster akinari
Quote:
[23-05, 11:34] FastAnna suck a dick ygay
Old 10-03-2010, 08:52 AM   #4619
Waxin’ Punks

Thanked 6,038 Times in 2,075 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawn79 View Post
Because we lost O'Brien and Hordy? Lol. I hope that's not the reason you made that post.

Hordy lost 95% of his fights and O'Brien rarely played as physical as AV wanted him to. To the point where they had a discussion and like a dumbass SOB addressed it with the media.

Like others have said, Alberts earned his spot in the preseason.
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 10-03-2010, 08:59 AM   #4620
Orgasm Donor & Alatar owned my ass twice!

Thanked 4,387 Times in 1,145 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xclusive View Post
Grabner waived. Grab him MG!
r u serious? source?

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) hi there
(づ。◕‿‿◕。)づ・。*。✧・゜゜・。✧。*・゜゜・✧。・$$$$$゜゜・。*。・゜*✧ .

xxx~*…like dis post if u cry evry time…~*xxx
Old 10-03-2010, 09:01 AM   #4621
mb_
WUB WUB WUB WUB WUB

Thanked 7,009 Times in 1,889 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonogunn8 View Post
r u serious? source?
http://twitter.com/#!/TSNBobMcKenzie

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowguy View Post
fuck you hipster
Quote:
Originally Posted by trollguy View Post
then fuck you hipster akinari
Quote:
[23-05, 11:34] FastAnna suck a dick ygay
Old 10-03-2010, 09:03 AM   #4622
Orgasm Donor & Alatar owned my ass twice!

Thanked 4,387 Times in 1,145 Posts
Wow very surprising. He'll be picked up by another team for sure tho.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) hi there
(づ。◕‿‿◕。)づ・。*。✧・゜゜・。✧。*・゜゜・✧。・$$$$$゜゜・。*。・゜*✧ .

xxx~*…like dis post if u cry evry time…~*xxx
Old 10-03-2010, 09:24 AM   #4623

if we traded him, and he couldnt make the panthers, i dont think it's a sure thing
Old 10-03-2010, 09:35 AM   #4624
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

love the miller commerical, its pretty good

they should do one for luongo

member of the "Go To Jail For BoA Anytime Crew"
URA RENGE - Taijutsu Master of the Hidden Revscene Village

{o,o} ......ya rly!
/)__)
-"-"-
PSN: AznAlien
Old 10-03-2010, 09:51 AM   #4625
CRS
ninja edits your posts without your knowledge

Thanked 6,308 Times in 1,776 Posts
Canucks released Bmo.

Quote:
Without playing, and without a contract, Brendan Morrison was not without his sense of humour.

"Out with a bang, big finish, eh," Morrison said.

Not quite.

The fan favourite, if not the Canucks', didn't get an opportunity to play in the final preseason game Friday, a 4-2 win over the Anaheim Ducks. Although head coach Alain Vigneault warned against it, it was hard not to read into it as an ominous sign for his chances of Vancouver offering him a contract.

That and the fact the Canucks remain about $800,000 over the salary cap, even after waiving both Darcy Hordichuk and Shane O'Brien.

Morrison wasn't trying too look too deep into the decision, but it was hard to hide the fact he wanted to play in the preseason finale.

"I thought I would be," Morrison said. "But you will drive yourself crazy if you try to figure out what they are thinking."

Either way, Morrison leaves the preseason with no regrets, content he made the right decision when he decided to sign a tryout deal at the last minute before training camp in Vancouver. The Canucks hold his negotiating rights until Wednesday but should make a decision on Morrison by today. That would be right by Morrison, who wants to know as soon as possible.

"I think it was the right call," Morrison said of signing the tryout. "I played fairly well and I tried to be professional every day, come in, work hard.

"I don't have any regrets about this. A couple of games went real well, a couple of games were average.

"In both the games that were average, we got beat up pretty good in those games. They are not very memorable."

There have been lots of rumours that if Morrison doesn't sign in Vancouver, he will get another offer, possibly in Calgary where the Flames are thin up the middle.

"The positive of coming to camp is that if it doesn't work out other teams take notice that I came in and had a had a good camp, they might take a chance and sign me."
Read more: http://www.theprovince.com/sports/Va...#ixzz11JrW1jeE

My FeedBack 53-0-0
This post thanked by:
Closed Thread