REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Police Forum

Police Forum Police Head Mod: Skidmark
Questions & info about the Motor Vehicle Act. Mature discussion only.

Old 06-15-2010, 02:45 PM   #1
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Thanked 1,619 Times in 378 Posts
Neighborhood speed watch's

So you know how sometimes they have those big signs with your speed? and then a speed watch van beside it.

I usually gun it past those vans to screw with those old guys and their clip boards.

But the other day I got a letter in the mail saying I was going 55 in a 30 zone, and that this is only a warning.

Well anyway, the question is, can you actually get a ticket from those people?

I mean not directly, but can they record your plate then get the police department to mail you a ticket?

or does it hafto be served to you in person by an officer?

Would that be disputable? I would think that a cop would hafto catch you speeding and serve you the ticket so you cant deny it, but hell I could be wrong.

any info?
Advertisement
Glove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 07:06 PM   #2
RS Peace Officer

Why would you speed by them? What purpose does that serve other than make you look like a goof?

To answer your question, they can not give you a ticket, only a police officer can. There is a good chance a file may be created detailing your vehicle and what you did which could be taken into consideration if you have future encounters with police. Good luck getting a warning in the future.
Five-Oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 07:25 PM   #3
no

Thanked 6,058 Times in 1,222 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jufes View Post
So you know how sometimes they have those big signs with your speed? and then a speed watch van beside it.

I usually gun it past those vans to screw with those old guys and their clip boards.

But the other day I got a letter in the mail saying I was going 55 in a 30 zone, and that this is only a warning.

I mean not directly, but can they record your plate then get the police department to mail you a ticket?

Would that be disputable? I would think that a cop would hafto catch you speeding and serve you the ticket so you cant deny it, but hell I could be wrong.

any info?
wat the hells your problem
jpark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 08:48 PM   #4
Retired Traffic Cop

Yes, it is possible to get a ticket from this situation, just as it is possible to get a ticket from any other civilian initiated traffic complaint investigated by the police.

Yes, the ticket is disputable, just as you may also be convicted in the right circumstances.

Give some thoughts to the 3 Strikes program, where police do speeding enforcement just down the block from the old guys with clipboards and their equipment. I used to like to reduce my tolerance when I did this because you already had a warning.

Learn more at DriveSmartBC
skidmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 09:23 PM   #5
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
Yes, it is possible to get a ticket from this situation, just as it is possible to get a ticket from any other civilian initiated traffic complaint investigated by the police.

Yes, the ticket is disputable, just as you may also be convicted in the right circumstances.

Give some thoughts to the 3 Strikes program, where police do speeding enforcement just down the block from the old guys with clipboards and their equipment. I used to like to reduce my tolerance when I did this because you already had a warning.
This is true. I volunteer at my local community policing centre. Sometimes when we do speed watch, we will have actual RCMP members a few hundred yards behind us with their own radar guns. It's pretty funny when we see teenager/douchebags speed through them trying to impress their friends in the car. The looks on their faces when they get pulled over are priceless.

In all seriousness though, you guys (Jufes) should really reconsider speeding through these speed watch programs. (Or speeding at all). Volunteers set up there because there is a complaint by concerned community members about people speeding through those areas. Usually this is in playgrounds and schools where little kids are around. Just something to think about when you think about speeding through these speed watches again.
ray666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 10:41 PM   #6
resident Oil Guru

Thanked 10,457 Times in 1,794 Posts
Damn, can't fail the OP.

Anyway, what's been said has been said. They're there for a reason. Just be thankful you learned your lesson the easy way, with a warning.
LiquidTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 10:56 PM   #7
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Any idea how we request such a program to take place in our neighborhood? We have a school zone followed by a playground zone... people still go 60+ through both in broad daylight.

I'd be willing to volunteer to run it, if that's possible. Burnaby, if it makes a difference.
Old 06-15-2010, 11:12 PM   #8
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

Contact the local community policing office.
eFx[A2C] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 05:19 AM   #9

Every Area has a Community Policing Office that has a Speedwatch and Usually a Citizens on Patrol,

http://bc.rcmp.ca/ViewPage.action?si...ontentId=11452

There is a list of them

Usually all it takes is a phone call to the Office, or a Quick drop by to file a report, the other useful service they do provide, is if you are going out of town, and dont have anyone to look at your place while you are gone, they can drop by a couple of times at night, and just give the place a once over from the street, which means they check for theft happening, sometimes it can make people feel alot better knowing someone with a "Hotline" to the police is coming around
Street Car --> 15.45 | Vega --> 11.65
seekerbeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 06:35 AM   #10
RS Peace Officer

Thanked 1,636 Times in 683 Posts
We used to run "2 strikes and you're out" programmes at least a couple of times a year. Have Speedwatch with the board and then sit downstream with our own radar or laser. Speedwatch would give us a heads-up for the high flyers and we would wait until they came into our own laser/rader. Like Skidmark said, the speeds at which we issued VTs was much lower than normal. Was fun to hear a couple of those caught try to explain to the JP how they were not speeding and how they didn't know the speed limit.
zulutango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 07:11 AM   #11

we used to take a member of the rcmp (either Full or Auxillary) and the real high flyers would get a real ticket issued to them, with us now, we writr everything down, and after 3 strikes (or 40 plus over) a real ticket could be issued
Posted via RS Mobile
seekerbeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 08:41 AM   #12
Banned (BBM)

Quote:

any info?

i think u got some issues dude, u deserve a massive fail
Mugen EvOlutioN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 11:52 AM   #13
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 1,557 Times in 511 Posts
Quote:

any info?
Seriously man you need to re-read what you said and grow up a lot!

Current:
2006 Honda Fourtrax Rancher 400cc ATV (Offroad trails + Winter Snow Plow)
1995 Toyota Tacoma (Toy Hauler)
2003 Honda Civic SIR (Daily Beater)
2018 KTM 390 Duke (Gas Saver)
2017 Subaru WRX Sport-Tech + STI 6MT (Weekend Track)

Past:
2014 Honda Grom
1971 MG MGB Tourer
Kayo MR125 Race Bike
2001 Honda Odyssey
2009 Toyota Corolla CE
2007 Honda Ruckus
2007 Husqvarna SM610 SuperMoto
2001 Honda S2000
Dragon-88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 03:16 PM   #14
RS controls my life!

Quote:

any info?
You do understand those volunteers are taking stats for ICBC/Police/City figuring out where the hotspots are for speeding. If your blowing 80kph past them, expect to get a ticket (or some speed bumps) sooner or later on your local favorite route...

Anyone want an example? Look at 3000-3300 Vanness Ave. They placed 30 kph all along there but people still do 60kph....what would be more effective for watching your speed: bunch of guys and gals with clipboard and a reader board showing your speed or some guy in a green vest handing you a ticket?

Op just doesn't understand the break he got.. Do I really have to share the road with you?
l2_narain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 10:50 AM   #15
HELP ME PLS!!!

Thanked 1,816 Times in 450 Posts
no fail for the OP yet ? im shocked
Greenstoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 01:17 PM   #16
CRS
ninja edits your posts without your knowledge

Thanked 6,308 Times in 1,776 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenstoner View Post
no fail for the OP yet ? im shocked
Can't fail or thank in the police forum.

My FeedBack 53-0-0
CRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 11:56 AM   #17
I don't get it

If anyone knows kingcrest park by knight and kingsway they have found the solution to this. The speedbumps there are so big that if you go over them at 40+ your seat ejects you into the roof. Not to mention you just screwed your car.
Posted via RS Mobile
sulos is offline   Reply With Quote