REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Police Forum

Police Forum Police Head Mod: Skidmark
Questions & info about the Motor Vehicle Act. Mature discussion only.

Old 06-16-2010, 10:59 PM   #1
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

Is it legal to drive a car home after buying it?(without insurance)

hi guys
I never buy used cars before.
I am thinking about buying one right now.
Seller and I are close to agree on a deal.
However, I am not sure what to do after i buy it.
I know when you buy a brand new car or used car from dealerships, they do the insurance stuffs for you so you can drive it home instantly.
What about used cars from private owners?
Am I allowed to drive the car home without insurance after I get the transfer documents etc from the seller?Is there a grace period? like few hours?

and no I am not switching my current plate on my car to this used car which I am thinking to buy. So the 10 days period stated on ICBC does not work.

thanks in advance.
Advertisement
heero78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 11:14 PM   #2
mb_
WUB WUB WUB WUB WUB

Thanked 7,010 Times in 1,890 Posts
It's illegal 100% of the time to drive without insurance

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowguy View Post
fuck you hipster
Quote:
Originally Posted by trollguy View Post
then fuck you hipster akinari
Quote:
[23-05, 11:34] FastAnna suck a dick ygay
mb_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 11:23 PM   #3
My homepage has been set to RS

Buy 1 day insurance for $27.
92 240sx - dd/project car
88 CRX - sold
98 DC2 - sold

Renting out pbm fender roller - pm for details.
satek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 11:32 PM   #4
Banned (ABWS)

Thanked 2,216 Times in 510 Posts
here is what you do.

1. buyer and seller meet at autoplan agent
2. autoplan agent will ensure documentation for both buyers and sellers are correct and proper
3. buyer pays seller, keys are exchanged
4. car buyer arranges insurance on the spot with the autoplan agent
5. drive away with your new vehicle.
illicitstylz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 11:35 PM   #5
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

When you buy the car.. the previous owner gives you the signed transfer/tax form along with the bottom piece of the registration, which they also have to sign (if it's not already). You take those two to the Autoplan agent of your choice... transfer the car into your name... pay the taxes, transfer fees, etc.. then you get plates or a temporary tag in order to take the car home.

How you do it depends on the seller. I personally will meet up with the buyer at a mall or something... complete the financial stuff at the bank first, then hit up the autoplan agent. Then I can cancel my old plates at the same time. Nice convenience for the buyer and seller to just go together in case there is anything wrong.

However... once you've done it a few times, you know the process, you don't need the seller there at all.. as long as you have all the right paperwork, you're golden. If you're not sure.. ask them to accompany you to the Autoplan place.

EDIT: Looks like illicitstylz and I were typing at the same time
Old 06-17-2010, 12:21 AM   #6
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

thanks guys!
heero78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 06:04 PM   #7
HELP ME PLS!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by heero78 View Post

and no I am not switching my current plate on my car to this used car which I am thinking to buy. So the 10 days period stated on ICBC does not work.

thanks in advance.
this only works if you sell your car first. and only have the new car. you can't just take plates from one car and put them onto the new one.
johny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 07:02 PM   #8
Rs has made me the man i am today!

^Wouldn't that be nice if that's how it worked...

I would definately put insurance on it, even just to drive it home.

Drive without insurance is a $598 fine and is actually an arrestable offence under the MVA! On top of the fine your vehicle gets towed and impounded which will also cost $$$
ninjatune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 08:00 PM   #9
c32
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

no
c32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 08:20 PM   #10
e-thugger*

I often finish the deal at the seller's place, take the papers to the agent, then get someone to drive me back to the car with the plates so I can drive it home. Or on one occasion I towed the car.
89 CRX D16Y7 swapped
netfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 01:39 PM   #11
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

You can drive your "new" vehicle using the licence plates from your old one for 10 days from the date of purchase if all of these conditions are met:
  • The vehicle you're switching plates to is registered in B.C. (or was purchased from a licensed B.C. auto dealer).
  • You have sold or otherwise disposed of your old vehicle.
  • Both vehicles are the same type (for example, passenger vehicles).
  • The licence plates are valid B.C. plates.

Source: http://www.icbc.com/registration-lic...sfer-ownership

i did this when i got my new car simplifies the process a little so you can take the car from the guys house where you bought it back to your preferred auto plan agent in your neighborhood.
bikerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 08:14 PM   #12
RS Peace Officer

Thanked 1,636 Times in 683 Posts
Onje vitally important thing you missed above...the complete paperwork...the tax & transfer must be 100% filled out and that means everything...speedo reading, date, complete owner and seller info...and you must have the regsitration from the old vehicle and the regsitration from the new vehicle and present it to the Police if you are asked to do so. Fail to do so means you are driving an uninsured and unlicenced vehicle and you get $598 ticket & tow. Too easy to get the seller to blank sign the T&T form and the new wanna-be "owner" drives it for months without completing the paperwork. Your T&T form gets seized for evidence, your own plates get seized for misuse and you arein do-do. On top of the fines and tow bill, you now have to go back to the original owner and get a new valid set of paperwork....and of couerse your car sits until you do.
zulutango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 04:33 AM   #13
e-thugger*

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulutango View Post
Onje vitally important thing you missed above...the complete paperwork...the tax & transfer must be 100% filled out and that means everything...speedo reading, date, complete owner and seller info...and you must have the regsitration from the old vehicle and the regsitration from the new vehicle and present it to the Police if you are asked to do so. Fail to do so means you are driving an uninsured and unlicenced vehicle and you get $598 ticket & tow. Too easy to get the seller to blank sign the T&T form and the new wanna-be "owner" drives it for months without completing the paperwork. Your T&T form gets seized for evidence, your own plates get seized for misuse and you arein do-do. On top of the fines and tow bill, you now have to go back to the original owner and get a new valid set of paperwork....and of couerse your car sits until you do.
A buyer for my dad's old vehicle did this but since my dad works for ICBC he made sure to put all the details on the paperwork including the purchase date. They called him up like a year later asking if he would sign a new transfer paper. Obviously he refused. They got screwed for trying to scam the system.