REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   HealthCare & Wellness (https://www.revscene.net/forums/healthcare-wellness_269/)
-   -   Doctor checkups, (https://www.revscene.net/forums/617872-doctor-checkups.html)

nano 06-20-2010 07:29 AM

Doctor checkups,

Just curious do u guys go in for regular doctor checkups? I don't know of if it'sonly suppose to be a thing when ure older like in the 40's...I've been to my doctor once in the last 3 years, I keep hearing things on the news where thankfully ppl catch cancer etc early so it's curable... But do ppl in their teen to mid 20s go for regular checkups?
Posted via RS Mobile

jimzilla 06-20-2010 07:22 PM

If its working why fix it?

I usually go once a year to make sure I'm still functioning properly. Plus its covered under my medical plan so why not.

Nocardia 06-22-2010 11:22 PM

Once a year is always good. Get checked out, the week prior, think about things that are nagging you or are issues, let the dr. hear what u have to say and he can document it.

You would be surprised what becomes relevant in 10 years.

Harvey Specter 06-23-2010 12:47 AM

I only go to the doctor when something is bugging me.

Mugen EvOlutioN 06-23-2010 09:10 AM

same here

nano 06-28-2010 11:38 AM

ok ya nothing really bugs me thats why I never have a reason to go to the doctors...I just thought there was like a standard testing/ checkup that we are suppose to do a year like blood tests etc...but guess not!

TheNewGirl 06-28-2010 12:33 PM

You currently have to pay if you don't have a health complaint to just get a physical.

That said if you're over 40 you should have your white blood cell, cholesterol and blood sugar counts done and blood pressure checked. As well as get baselines for various tests you'll have to get done in the future (if you're a woman it's a good time to get your first mammo for example).

syee 06-28-2010 01:14 PM

This year was the first year I went in for an "annual checkup". Had never been to one prior.

I was expecting a full on checkup from head to toe. Instead the doc just took my blood pressure, did the usual breathe in and out and listen to the stethoscope and then sent me out to do some blood work and that's it.

I didn't have to pay for it. I don't think you should either. MSP should be promoting preventative diagnosis as in the long run, it would reduce medical costs if things are detected earlier.

quasi 06-28-2010 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jah Gekko (Post 7002231)
I only go to the doctor when something is bugging me.

Ya me to and even then I'll wait at least half a week and see if it will work itself out.

unit 06-28-2010 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheNewGirl (Post 7008405)
You currently have to pay if you don't have a health complaint to just get a physical.

That said if you're over 40 you should have your white blood cell, cholesterol and blood sugar counts done and blood pressure checked. As well as get baselines for various tests you'll have to get done in the future (if you're a woman it's a good time to get your first mammo for example).

i wanted to check those things just to see that my diet is working.
so i'd have to pay out of pocket? like a blood test, etc...

Gt-R R34 06-29-2010 08:39 AM

I go once a year to have normal blood work done.
See how well my body is doing, i started going since I was 25.

Just a peace of mind, and they would have a history of you atleast once a year.

TheNewGirl 06-29-2010 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unit (Post 7008462)
i wanted to check those things just to see that my diet is working.
so i'd have to pay out of pocket? like a blood test, etc...

It really depends on your doctor and I don't think many "enforce" it. But MSP does not technically cover visits with out a health complaint/issue. If you have a diet that's intended to assist in a particular health issue then that would constitute an "issue" or "followup" as per MSP.

For example I have a diet related health condition, I go in every 4 months for blood work and a check up to insure my changes are working and this isn't a problem.

Another good "excuse" for your visit if you're out in the dating world or the non monogomous world at least (or hell even if you are) and such is to go and ask for STD checks, blood work and such (which everyone SHOULD get done yearly any how). You can get a full physical out of that (including the uncomfortable parts you probably don't want).

Most doctors do not bill clients for "check up", if nothing else they just tag them as "follow ups" or what have you so they can be reimbursed for thier time from MSP. I think most reasonable doctors only use this as recourse against those who completely and chronically waste their time.

Gumby 06-29-2010 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by syee (Post 7008444)
This year was the first year I went in for an "annual checkup". Had never been to one prior.

I was expecting a full on checkup from head to toe. Instead the doc just took my blood pressure, did the usual breathe in and out and listen to the stethoscope and then sent me out to do some blood work and that's it.

I didn't have to pay for it. I don't think you should either. MSP should be promoting preventative diagnosis as in the long run, it would reduce medical costs if things are detected earlier.

I'll be 32 this year, and I just went to my first "annual checkup" today too. Took my blood pressure, asked me a bunch of health questions such as "do you exercise, how's your pissing & crapping, any weird pains, etc." Took a urine sample, and I'll be doing a blood test later too.

If you have a family history of certain health-related problems, you might want to bring that to your doctor's attention. Otherwise, for people your age, I don't think annual checkups are necessary.

Culverin 07-20-2010 05:04 AM

If I'm feeling good, and relatively healthy, then is there anything I should be going to get checked? I figured it's like a car right? Check your filters, check your pipes and that you've got a good seal everywhere.

I eat extremely poorly and drink quite a lot.
I know I can get a blood test to check on my cholesterol and stuff (so far so good).

But is there anything for the liver?

MelonBoy 08-01-2010 11:30 PM

Is everyone getting there full-body check up from there family/local doctor?.. or is there a specific clinic/doctors that do this..?

Also assuming there is a charge, how much is it roughly usually?

Sorry im pretty young and haven't had one.. neither has any of my friends but I would like to get a check-up.. just in case

Inaii 08-01-2010 11:40 PM

I get a physical done once a year and bloodwork every 3 months if I remember. I've never had to pay a cent and I've been doing this since I was 18 (am now 26). IF you have to pay (and keep in mind this varies from dr to dr), but at my dr office its around 50 I think for a full physical. Any GP should be able to do it, but if you have a family doc talk to them first.
Posted via RS Mobile

miss_crayon 08-02-2010 10:01 AM

I get checked every year and everytime I change partners. I never had to pay and I go to both the family doc as well as my gyno. Health is something you can't control as it can change on you at anytime, so I'd recommend anyone to go once a year Or more often if something is bothering you. Doctors are here to make sure you're okay, so let them help you.
Posted via RS Mobile

aznrsx1979 08-03-2010 04:29 PM

I go once a year and have my blood work done every 3 months. Doesn't cost me anything because i'm covered under my insurance anyway. Doesn't hurt to know how things are, especially if there's a family history.

hal0g0dv2 08-06-2010 07:05 PM

twice a year, to get test lvls and bf checked and some other stuff done since i work out 24/7

Culverin 08-06-2010 10:41 PM

How do you get your bloodwork ever 3 months?
Is there something u have to ask specifically for?

twitchyzero 08-07-2010 06:23 PM

unless you have family history of a disease/condition..there's really no need to get blood test done every 3 months.

hal0g0dv2 08-08-2010 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Culverin (Post 7058475)
How do you get your bloodwork ever 3 months?
Is there something u have to ask specifically for?

some people have said that they are stressed out hard core and that helps