REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > HealthCare & Wellness

HealthCare & Wellness Breaking the Chains of Addiction. The Last Door Recovery Society
Mature discussion surrounding important health issues and concerns. Alternative therapies, healthcare questions, discussion of community resources, peer support help, group therapy, etc.

Old 06-20-2010, 07:29 AM   #1
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

Doctor checkups,

Just curious do u guys go in for regular doctor checkups? I don't know of if it'sonly suppose to be a thing when ure older like in the 40's...I've been to my doctor once in the last 3 years, I keep hearing things on the news where thankfully ppl catch cancer etc early so it's curable... But do ppl in their teen to mid 20s go for regular checkups?
Posted via RS Mobile

nano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 07:22 PM   #2
My homepage has been set to RS

If its working why fix it?

I usually go once a year to make sure I'm still functioning properly. Plus its covered under my medical plan so why not.

MY FEEDBACK
jimzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 11:22 PM   #3

Once a year is always good. Get checked out, the week prior, think about things that are nagging you or are issues, let the dr. hear what u have to say and he can document it.

You would be surprised what becomes relevant in 10 years.
Old 06-23-2010, 12:47 AM   #4
y'all better put some respeck on my name

Thanked 9,244 Times in 2,359 Posts
I only go to the doctor when something is bugging me.
Harvey Specter is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-23-2010, 09:10 AM   #5
Banned (BBM)

same here
Mugen EvOlutioN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 11:38 AM   #6
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

ok ya nothing really bugs me thats why I never have a reason to go to the doctors...I just thought there was like a standard testing/ checkup that we are suppose to do a year like blood tests etc...but guess not!
nano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 12:33 PM   #7
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

You currently have to pay if you don't have a health complaint to just get a physical.

That said if you're over 40 you should have your white blood cell, cholesterol and blood sugar counts done and blood pressure checked. As well as get baselines for various tests you'll have to get done in the future (if you're a woman it's a good time to get your first mammo for example).
Old 06-28-2010, 01:14 PM   #8
I subscribe to the Revscene NWS thread(s)

This year was the first year I went in for an "annual checkup". Had never been to one prior.

I was expecting a full on checkup from head to toe. Instead the doc just took my blood pressure, did the usual breathe in and out and listen to the stethoscope and then sent me out to do some blood work and that's it.

I didn't have to pay for it. I don't think you should either. MSP should be promoting preventative diagnosis as in the long run, it would reduce medical costs if things are detected earlier.
syee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 01:17 PM   #9
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,731 Times in 1,322 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jah Gekko View Post
I only go to the doctor when something is bugging me.
Ya me to and even then I'll wait at least half a week and see if it will work itself out.

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I donīt care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. Thatīs how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
quasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 01:25 PM   #10
SFICC-03*

Thanked 2,452 Times in 986 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNewGirl View Post
You currently have to pay if you don't have a health complaint to just get a physical.

That said if you're over 40 you should have your white blood cell, cholesterol and blood sugar counts done and blood pressure checked. As well as get baselines for various tests you'll have to get done in the future (if you're a woman it's a good time to get your first mammo for example).
i wanted to check those things just to see that my diet is working.
so i'd have to pay out of pocket? like a blood test, etc...
unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 08:39 AM   #11
Ubereem Mod

I go once a year to have normal blood work done.
See how well my body is doing, i started going since I was 25.

Just a peace of mind, and they would have a history of you atleast once a year.
Gt-R R34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 10:34 AM   #12
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by unit View Post
i wanted to check those things just to see that my diet is working.
so i'd have to pay out of pocket? like a blood test, etc...
It really depends on your doctor and I don't think many "enforce" it. But MSP does not technically cover visits with out a health complaint/issue. If you have a diet that's intended to assist in a particular health issue then that would constitute an "issue" or "followup" as per MSP.

For example I have a diet related health condition, I go in every 4 months for blood work and a check up to insure my changes are working and this isn't a problem.

Another good "excuse" for your visit if you're out in the dating world or the non monogomous world at least (or hell even if you are) and such is to go and ask for STD checks, blood work and such (which everyone SHOULD get done yearly any how). You can get a full physical out of that (including the uncomfortable parts you probably don't want).

Most doctors do not bill clients for "check up", if nothing else they just tag them as "follow ups" or what have you so they can be reimbursed for thier time from MSP. I think most reasonable doctors only use this as recourse against those who completely and chronically waste their time.
Old 06-29-2010, 10:57 AM   #13
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,060 Times in 1,180 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by syee View Post
This year was the first year I went in for an "annual checkup". Had never been to one prior.

I was expecting a full on checkup from head to toe. Instead the doc just took my blood pressure, did the usual breathe in and out and listen to the stethoscope and then sent me out to do some blood work and that's it.

I didn't have to pay for it. I don't think you should either. MSP should be promoting preventative diagnosis as in the long run, it would reduce medical costs if things are detected earlier.
I'll be 32 this year, and I just went to my first "annual checkup" today too. Took my blood pressure, asked me a bunch of health questions such as "do you exercise, how's your pissing & crapping, any weird pains, etc." Took a urine sample, and I'll be doing a blood test later too.

If you have a family history of certain health-related problems, you might want to bring that to your doctor's attention. Otherwise, for people your age, I don't think annual checkups are necessary.
Honest to fucking Christ the easiest way to get a married woman in the mood is clean the house and do the laundry.....I've been with the same girl almost 17 years, ask me how I know. - quasi
Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 05:04 AM   #14
My bookmarks are Reddit and REVscene, in that order

Thanked 13,465 Times in 1,814 Posts
If I'm feeling good, and relatively healthy, then is there anything I should be going to get checked? I figured it's like a car right? Check your filters, check your pipes and that you've got a good seal everywhere.

I eat extremely poorly and drink quite a lot.
I know I can get a blood test to check on my cholesterol and stuff (so far so good).

But is there anything for the liver?
Old 08-01-2010, 11:30 PM   #15

Is everyone getting there full-body check up from there family/local doctor?.. or is there a specific clinic/doctors that do this..?

Also assuming there is a charge, how much is it roughly usually?

Sorry im pretty young and haven't had one.. neither has any of my friends but I would like to get a check-up.. just in case
MelonBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 11:40 PM   #16
My name is Michael. J. Caboose, and I hate BABIES!

Thanked 1,421 Times in 678 Posts
I get a physical done once a year and bloodwork every 3 months if I remember. I've never had to pay a cent and I've been doing this since I was 18 (am now 26). IF you have to pay (and keep in mind this varies from dr to dr), but at my dr office its around 50 I think for a full physical. Any GP should be able to do it, but if you have a family doc talk to them first.
Posted via RS Mobile
Inaii is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-02-2010, 10:01 AM   #17
Director of RS Cares

I get checked every year and everytime I change partners. I never had to pay and I go to both the family doc as well as my gyno. Health is something you can't control as it can change on you at anytime, so I'd recommend anyone to go once a year Or more often if something is bothering you. Doctors are here to make sure you're okay, so let them help you.
Posted via RS Mobile
miss_crayon is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-03-2010, 04:29 PM   #18
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

I go once a year and have my blood work done every 3 months. Doesn't cost me anything because i'm covered under my insurance anyway. Doesn't hurt to know how things are, especially if there's a family history.
aznrsx1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 07:05 PM   #19
RS Operative (G)

Thanked 4,566 Times in 1,529 Posts
twice a year, to get test lvls and bf checked and some other stuff done since i work out 24/7
hal0g0dv2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 10:41 PM   #20
My bookmarks are Reddit and REVscene, in that order

Thanked 13,465 Times in 1,814 Posts
How do you get your bloodwork ever 3 months?
Is there something u have to ask specifically for?
Old 08-07-2010, 06:23 PM   #21
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,803 Times in 3,899 Posts
unless you have family history of a disease/condition..there's really no need to get blood test done every 3 months.
twitchyzero is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 06:44 PM   #22
RS Operative (G)

Thanked 4,566 Times in 1,529 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Culverin View Post
How do you get your bloodwork ever 3 months?
Is there something u have to ask specifically for?
some people have said that they are stressed out hard core and that helps
hal0g0dv2 is offline   Reply With Quote