REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Honda / Acura Tech Resources (https://www.revscene.net/forums/honda-acura-tech-resources_310/)
-   -   00 accord auto troubles (https://www.revscene.net/forums/618212-00-accord-auto-troubles.html)

storms 06-24-2010 11:10 AM

00 accord auto troubles

Well it appears my auto on my V6 accord is on it's way out!! I was thinkin about just getting it rebuilt but was wondering if anyone here has successfully done the 6spd conversion? I know it's been done lots in the states but I live in the Okanagan, a little too far to go! Any thoughts or suggestions?

!Aznboi128 06-24-2010 02:23 PM

I've asked around....

and sadly it's not worth it, unless you can get all the parts you need close to nothing it's hard.

best thing to do is 1st find a donor cl or tl type-s (rare). you need tranny, ecu, brake and clutch assembly, headers (needs a little notch in it our auto's wont fit)

I got quoted "about 2500" for labour....

donjalapeno 06-24-2010 03:08 PM

Sadly Honda's all have transmission issues so do Acura's, as Honda owners we gotta live with it.

jpark 06-24-2010 03:35 PM

^lol no, only the v6 6th gen accord autos, oddeyseys and 2nd gen tl etc. have problems (mostly the autos mated the the j series v6 motor) my friend had a cl-s with 6spd manual and it was bullet proof and same as 4 cylinder accord automatics, they are reliable too, my mom has a pilot 2006 with 5spd auto (updated tranny) and its still really strong, the pilot has more over 100k.. but ive heard some stories about the recent 6spd manuals though about the3rd gear pop but i doubt its as bad as the auto problem honda had..

storms 06-25-2010 08:03 AM

Thanks for your help, I geuss I'll be lookin at rebuilding my Auto:( cheaper by the sounds of it!!

Mugen EvOlutioN 06-25-2010 08:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by downhiller88 (Post 7004213)
^lol no, only the v6 6th gen accord autos, oddeyseys and 2nd gen tl etc. have problems (mostly the autos mated the the j series v6 motor) my friend had a cl-s with 6spd manual and it was bullet proof and same as 4 cylinder accord automatics, they are reliable too, my mom has a pilot 2006 with 5spd auto (updated tranny) and its still really strong, the pilot has more over 100k.. but ive heard some stories about the recent 6spd manuals though about the3rd gear pop but i doubt its as bad as the auto problem honda had..

3rd gear pops, 2nd gear grind for some

it all varies

for me i just change my tranny oil really often
problem solved

inv4zn 06-25-2010 08:47 AM

Hey storms, what are the symptoms?

I was super paranoid at once for what I thought were signs of it going out...but it's been alright for over a year now...so yeah - what's wrong with it?

For a rebuild I think I got quoted around 2 grand give or take

donjalapeno 06-25-2010 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by downhiller88 (Post 7004213)

Every honda my family owned ( weve owned hondas/acuras even motorcycles, for many years my dad first car was a 83 civic hatch ) most of them had transmission issues some serious some not so serious. Even my friends with civics, preludes , tegs, 6thgens etc some had issues some didnt. If you change your trans oil often your good to go. Some dont act up till later ( my sisters TL has 160000km still nothing *knock on wood*), i know for a fact mine will act up, sometimes it grinds. Not saying all hondas are like that and im pretty sure the new ones are ok but the older ones are known to have trans issues.

jpark 06-25-2010 10:13 AM

isnt that the usual symptom? giving gas but just feels like your gasing in nutural or 'riding the clutch' kind of feel and sound? :(

jpark 06-25-2010 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pouria77 (Post 7005150)
Every honda my family owned ( weve owned hondas/acuras even motorcycles, for many years my dad first car was a 83 civic hatch ) most of them had transmission issues some serious some not so serious. Even my friends with civics, preludes , tegs, 6thgens etc some had issues some didnt. If you change your trans oil often your good to go. Some dont act up till later ( my sisters TL has 160000km still nothing *knock on wood*), i know for a fact mine will act up, sometimes it grinds. Not saying all hondas are like that and im pretty sure the new ones are ok but the older ones are known to have trans issues.

yea but were your frends civic dc2 and prelude autos? bcuz i know for a fact the 5spd are classified as problem free, and what year is your sisters tl? my dad had one of those 2nd gen tl's but the tranny gave out exacctly like the video posted above.. and yeah my family is madd honda fan as well too i just beg to be different... -__-

donjalapeno 06-25-2010 10:27 AM

lol my sisters TL is 2002 not type s and im not quite sure if my freinds were manual or autos. i think the dc2 and prelude were 5spd. And yeah we tried ford 2 years ago ( my focus) and that didnt go to well then my mom really wanted a MK5 jetta turbo so my dad got her one, so now were back into honda and vdub.

inv4zn 06-25-2010 12:04 PM

Honda manuals are much stronger than their autos...especially the autos from mid 90's to mid 00's...

I think its just a combination of meticulous maintenance, not thrashing on it, and a bit of luck...

Just one of those things I guess. But yeah, the slipping on that TL is pretty bad...for the accords its usually slippgae between 1st and 2nd...

storms 06-28-2010 08:38 AM

Well it appears that my tranny probs are related to the lockup torque converter! it's locking and unlocking rapidly at highway speeds, feels like car has a missfire, what is also known as hunting. If you give it more throttle that forces torque converter to unlock and then it smooths out! The tranny shop suggested that I add an auxilary cooler, since the tranny works fine when it's not hot out. As for tranny oil change well I do it every 15,000 kms I now have 208000 on my original tranny, so I can't probably complain too much LOL. Im goin to do another oil change and add the cooler this weekend so we will see how that goes!

inv4zn 06-28-2010 09:06 AM

Are you looking at the comptech (now CT Engineering I think) cooler? Or a random aftermarket one?

Let me/us know how that goes...lol

Car just hit 220000km...on original tranny =p

Nervous as HECK now hhahah

*EDIT

also, let me know when you're down here next...i wanna see your exhaust ll

!Aznboi128 06-28-2010 09:34 AM

I could use a tranny cooler..... Lmk if your ordering one maybe group buy :p
Posted via RS Mobile

inv4zn 06-29-2010 03:48 PM

how many km's on your car aznboi?

!Aznboi128 06-29-2010 04:02 PM

lol 136 :D

storms 06-30-2010 09:23 AM

Isn't this your 3rd tranny aznboi128?

!Aznboi128 06-30-2010 09:24 AM

:( yes.... lol

all replaced in the 3yrs of it's life haha

donjalapeno 06-30-2010 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aznboi128 (Post 7010056)
lol 136 :D

mine just hit the 97000 mark :)

christiankirana 06-30-2010 11:11 AM

how much does each transmission rebuilt cost?

Quote:

Originally Posted by aznboi128 (Post 7010954)
:( yes.... lol

all replaced in the 3yrs of it's life haha

inv4zn 06-30-2010 11:19 AM

You young'ins with the 1xx,xxx....lol

220,005 as of today :p

!Aznboi128 06-30-2010 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by christiankirana (Post 7011067)
how much does each transmission rebuilt cost?

well both of mine were within warranty so free

but to rebuild a tranny will be about 3k to replace with oem honda around 6

inv4zn 06-30-2010 01:41 PM

I wonder where Honda gets the 'OEM' ones from...i'm sure they don't build new ones anymore...some parts for it, maybe...

I was talking to a tranny shop guy and he said rebuilding is probably better as newer parts are stronger than the older OE parts..

Also, some of the bigger shops do offer financing - so that's always an option

Puck Luck 06-30-2010 06:56 PM

new auto transmissions from Honda were never really available. Only exchange for remanufactured. And it's quite rare for us to sell a reman trans for retail. Almost always brought in for warrenty jobs only.
Retail they are very expensive. Almost always when a customer come in needing a new auto trans thats out of warrenty, we exchange with a local tranny rebuilder. We'll give the customer the option of a honda reman or a local reman. But its much cheaper to go with the local and seems to be doing them very well cause we rarely get any problems with his work.
The only time we ever got a new trans from honda under warrenty was a 5 spd manual years ago. We would normally rebuild those in house but for whatever reason (i forget) this one was unrepairable and they reluctantly sent us a new one