REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 06-25-2010, 07:42 PM   #1
My homepage has been set to RS

JDM Aero parts: Do they work? (hint: Voltex)

Quote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kqjKx...ayer_embedded#

Have you ever been skeptical about JDM aerodynamic add-ons? Like the crazily popular front bumper carnards, splitters, rear wing and diffusers?. The Option magazine network advertisements all claim that these carbon fiber or fiberglass or sometimes plastic winglets things do work to keep your car planted with the effect that Bernoulli creates. Which in car terms, is widely known as downforce.

Though this may seem logical and all, people like you need to see it happening. So here’s an Option video documentary on the Tsukuba Time Attack’s Cyber Evo monster. There’s even a stock comparison near the end where the lack of these air spoilers, actually created the dreaded lift.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSiNZ...layer_embedded
http://www.zerotohundred.com/2009/au...k-hint-voltex/

hope its not repost

The cyber evo in the above video is the fastest car on tsukuba in its class this year...
Advertisement

Last edited by Jackygor; 06-25-2010 at 07:55 PM.
Jackygor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 11:23 PM   #2
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

like most things in the world, it works when used correctly.
toyota86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 11:34 PM   #3
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

It would be nice if I can understand what they're saying in the video
greendb7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 12:13 AM   #4
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

oh yes it works alright

Meister1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 07:34 AM   #5
RS controls my life!

thats some transformer shit mang. only the autobots can do that.
josel_atr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 06:36 PM   #6
Resident Bullshitter

i have no idea when those ricers started to go wingless on the STI and EVOs....
.Renn.Sport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 07:08 PM   #7
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 2,485 Times in 1,007 Posts
the second video on the first post..

DAMN that evo is FAST.. blows past the FD!
Old 06-26-2010, 10:25 PM   #8
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,746 Times in 1,179 Posts
I think the problem is not whether they work or not. The problem is, most of the ricers don't have a car to take advantage of those parts.

Say a GT wing for example, when properly adjusted/placed, a GT wing creates huge amount of downforce. When do you start feeling the downforce? probably not until you hit 170+ for those big GT wing to become effective.

And a Civic can reach 170+, but not a whole lot after that. I'd say a rice'd out civic with no power mods will probably max out around 200... why do you want such downforce? Heck, even a BMW M3/M3 CSL has a tiny low-profile spoiler... and they can reach 300+!
Old 06-26-2010, 11:52 PM   #9
Resident Bullshitter

the video shows the down force created by the canards and GT wing at around 90km/h

on tracks like tsukuba, no matter how fast the car is, no one is able to reach over 200km/h on the back straight
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 06-27-2010, 12:31 AM   #10
VAC Head Rotang Mod

Thanked 1,427 Times in 627 Posts
the 3D GT wings work as low as 50-60mph i believe

the effective speed for the downforce bits would be affected most by the rake of the wing (angle of attack)

My Feedback (10-0-0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fei-Ji View Post
haha i can taste the cum in my mouth
Raid3n is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-27-2010, 01:51 AM   #11
Trollollolloing RS sine 2005

Thanked 2,471 Times in 704 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by .Renn.Sport View Post
i have no idea when those ricers started to go wingless on the STI and EVOs....
i have no idea when faggots like u started to cared about jap cars...
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1exotic View Post
Vtec doesn't kick in on Reverse.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulic Qel-Droma View Post
its like.. oh yeah oh yeah.. ohhhh yeah... OOoooOohh... why's it suddenly feel a bit better... ohhhh yeahh... ohhh...oh..fuck... it probably ripped.
TOPEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 09:07 AM   #12

Damn those are nice CE28N's..
typ. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 08:32 PM   #13
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,746 Times in 1,179 Posts
Quote:
the video shows the down force created by the canards and GT wing at around 90km/h

on tracks like tsukuba, no matter how fast the car is, no one is able to reach over 200km/h on the back straight
Yes, but they have the speed to make downforce work for them. The downforce kicks in at 100KMH+ (not just the wing, but whole other aero parts in the same time), how long do those cars take to reach 100kmh? pretty much all within 5 sec if not faster.. they need the downforce because their acceleration is so fast they need ways to stabilize the cars within the limited track length they can accelerate.

A stock Civic needs 9 sec to reach 100KM. By the time the Civic reaches 100KM and downforce kicks in, the track is almost gone and brake comes on to reduce the speed. The GT wing becomes useless.

I'm basing my GT wing to be useful at 170+ because you have better/lighter options before that, making the wings useless. And as an example, supercars with speed-sensitive wings deploys only after reaching 150+. Bugatti Veyron's spoiler deploys when you reach 220KMH... just to show you when wings actually become useful.

And yes, downforce depends on angle of attack, but again, a car don't need downforce at lower speed. Any time before that just make the car slower.

Last edited by Hehe; 06-27-2010 at 08:38 PM.
Hehe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 11:19 PM   #14

Quote:
Are you kidding me?

#1 Garage HRS SUN Auto Cyber Evo CT9A Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution (Best Lap: 55.864sec, Top Speed: 220.678 km/h)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tsukuba_Circuit

Tsukuba's back straight is the same length as our track here in Mission. I hit 200 easily on my 600cc bike, I'm sure any GT car could do the same.

feedback
http://www.revscene.net/forums/showt...ighlight=noizz
Noizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 12:00 AM   #15
Resident Bullshitter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hehe View Post
Yes, but they have the speed to make downforce work for them. The downforce kicks in at 100KMH+ (not just the wing, but whole other aero parts in the same time), how long do those cars take to reach 100kmh? pretty much all within 5 sec if not faster.. they need the downforce because their acceleration is so fast they need ways to stabilize the cars within the limited track length they can accelerate.

A stock Civic needs 9 sec to reach 100KM. By the time the Civic reaches 100KM and downforce kicks in, the track is almost gone and brake comes on to reduce the speed. The GT wing becomes useless.

I'm basing my GT wing to be useful at 170+ because you have better/lighter options before that, making the wings useless. And as an example, supercars with speed-sensitive wings deploys only after reaching 150+. Bugatti Veyron's spoiler deploys when you reach 220KMH... just to show you when wings actually become useful.

And yes, downforce depends on angle of attack, but again, a car don't need downforce at lower speed. Any time before that just make the car slower.
over half of the corners on Tsukuba are under 70km/h, even the fastest last corner averages at 150km/h max

the use of downforce is to create extra grip around corners without additional weight. if a GT wing only works at 170+, then the Cyber EVO could do a laptime of 55s on Tsukuba without any wings