REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > #RevsceneVLS General Chat

#RevsceneVLS General Chat SOCIAL LIFESTYLES ADSPACE AVAILABLE. CONTACT INFO@BLITZGEAR.COM
2016 VLS Community Head Moderator: SaucyWoman
2016 Social Media Liason: Blitzgear

@Revscene #RevsceneVLS. Vancouver LifeStyles Discussions: Car-free, political and current events, random thoughts, or topics that don't fit in the other forums. Remember to check out feature articles on the Main Website

Old 06-28-2010, 12:45 PM   #1
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 1,057 Times in 429 Posts
Renting off CL

So me n a few buddies r gonna be renting a condo for the stampede in calgary off CL. What are the things I should do and look out for so I don't get scammed. Cause I assume it would be pretty easy to scam someone who doesn't live in the area to see if its legit.
Posted via RS Mobile
Advertisement
RiceIntegraRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 12:50 PM   #2
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,812 Times in 2,501 Posts
ask for pics of the place, address of the place, and phone # of the landlord to personally talk to them on the phone

if you have friends local to calgary, ask them to swing by to check it out as well

pay any $ in person and with a check noting the purpose (for rent)

that's what a few out of province tenants did when they rented our basement.

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 01:25 PM   #3
MiX iT Up!

Thanked 2,066 Times in 865 Posts
get a written rental agreement. ask for proof of ownership .

i could easily try to rent my buddies joint in calgary , with a pre-paid phone so you can talk to me and a key that will not work when you get to the place, and you can pay me in person when i meet you at the starbucks which is 1.5 blocks away from the apartment. i will also send you pictures of my place saying thats what the rental condo looks like. am i convincing enough to fool you?

Sometimes we tend to be in despair when the person we love leaves us, but the truth is, it's not our loss, but theirs, for they left the only person who couldn't give up on them.

Make the effort and take the risk..

"Do what you feel in your heart to be right- for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't." - Eleanor Roosevelt
tiger_handheld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 12:45 PM   #4
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 2,343 Times in 971 Posts
few things
1) property of ownership
2) Driver's license
3) everything done in cheque (as a valid proof)
4) a contract if possible.

to tell you the truth, it's more dangerous for the owner cause if you break anything, how are they ever going to find you? when you have no collateral, u can literally take their break their tv and run off. They can sue you but when you have ilke 20 bucks in ur bank account they cant' do shit; imagine you're from another country. Deposit can only be so much to cover for any hidden damages.

this is also the reason why a lot of people didn't rent their suite out during the olympics.
6793026 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 12:00 AM   #5
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 2,485 Times in 1,007 Posts
do not send any money.. do it in person... see proof of ownership as someone has mention...

Do a walk around and inside the house and NOTE down any damages or anything before signing anything.... just incase theres damage already and they try to pin on you!!!!

learn from what happen with the incident at the Olympics

Last edited by FerrariEnzo; 06-30-2010 at 12:08 AM.
FerrariEnzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 08:49 AM   #6
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 2,343 Times in 971 Posts
oh, it's best to take pictures or videos so you have proof. totally forgot about that. then again, you woudl have to sign a conditional report.
6793026 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 11:59 AM   #7
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

CL is sketchy imo.. I think you should try renting off http://www.vrbo.com instead.
Most of those rentals have pictures and actual reviews too..

I'm in Calgary so if you need help with anything, let me know...
Machi604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 04:40 PM   #8
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 1,057 Times in 429 Posts
^thx for the offer, but a friend of a friend that will take us in for the stampede. so now i dont have to worry about getting scammed and what not. thx all for the advice.
RiceIntegraRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 08:33 PM   #9
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

i rented a place in Ottawa for my co-op term from CL...

i just asked for the address, pics (inside/outside), and their bank account number for deposits.

before i paid them, i check google street view to see if the place actually existed and they had me sign a lease agreement that looked legit.

i got to Ottawa, got the keys from the mail, went into the house, and have been living okay since.
TRDood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 01:32 PM   #10
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

finding a place via craigslist isn't really any more sketchy than say finding a place in the newspaper. if you have any common sense you'll still be going there in person to look at the place before renting.

all these things people say "to do", you should be doing it anyways regardless if it's via cl or not.
Farfetched is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 06:12 PM   #11
Rs has made me the man i am today!

take pictures of the place before you move IN!

Get the landlord to sign the back of the pictures to prove there were damages prior to you moving in, and they are legit.

Learn this the hard way when my deposit got swallowed by the landlord for previous damages.
-"--"-

Last edited by Doubl3_H; 07-06-2010 at 06:25 PM.
Doubl3_H is offline   Reply With Quote