REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Maintenance, Engine & Driveline Tech (https://www.revscene.net/forums/maintenance-engine-driveline-tech_190/)
-   -   Fluid Flushes.. (https://www.revscene.net/forums/618613-fluid-flushes.html)

impulseX 06-29-2010 12:54 AM

Fluid Flushes..

Hopefully I'm posting in the right forum....

Been reading up on some DIY guides for different fluid flushes (power steering, transmission, brake... etc.) Just wondering if anybody has done these themselves and could possibly share their experience with me? I'm considering doing it myself but at the same time, worried I might just screw up lol.

Also... in the manual it suggests to use Honda Genuine fluids.. is it absolutely necessary or are the ones in stores okay as well?

godwin 06-29-2010 02:16 AM

They are all easy, provided you have the right tools.. for brakes like one hand bleeder.. for transmissions if it is an automatic, most individuals don't have the equipment to do a good flush easily. You can change, but a proper flush takes a while and you really need a recirculator.

impulseX 06-29-2010 05:09 PM

Do you do your own flushes or take them to the shop? or do you simply just change the fluids?

For transmissions, are manual tranny flushes easier than automatic tranny flush?

From what I've read on different forums, and seen on videos on youtube, they didn't have any crazy tools... should i assume that those aren't really proper ways?

IMASA 06-29-2010 08:15 PM

For automatic transmission fluid, power steering fluid and rear differential fluid, you should use either Honda or "made for Hondas" fluids because of the required addictives. Some even say you should use Honda coolant as it has lubriants for the water pump while generic coolant may not. Oil and brake fluid can be generic fluids.

impulseX 06-30-2010 01:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IMASA (Post 7010324)
For automatic transmission fluid, power steering fluid and rear differential fluid, you should use either Honda or "made for Hondas" fluids because of the required addictives. Some even say you should use Honda coolant as it has lubriants for the water pump while generic coolant may not. Oil and brake fluid can be generic fluids.

Thanks!

Puck Luck 06-30-2010 07:05 PM

Cant really flush a manual trans, just a drain and fill. Honda atf is low viscosity (thinner) compared to dexron. For rear differentials, crv and elements use dual pump fluid. Pilots and ridgeline use vtm fluid. These are nothing like 80/90 gear oil in other differentials.

Mugen EvOlutioN 07-01-2010 01:40 PM

manual tranny, u want higher viscocity or lower? which one is better

i have always been flushing it with oem, but thinking to switch to other brand or not

Motul, Amosil or sth

impulseX 07-04-2010 04:49 PM

^is flushing manual tranny hard to do? I've been thinking about trying it...

jtanner_ 07-04-2010 05:42 PM

I flushed my manual transmission fluid on my rsx with a friend and it was really simple. Was basically going into it after having only seen a DIY video. If you've got common knowledge of what you're working around it shouldn't be too hard...

impulseX 07-04-2010 06:22 PM

i've been looking at DIY videos for tranny, brakes, power steering... didnt seem hard but just scared might screw up lol.

bikerx 07-04-2010 09:42 PM

brakes and manual tranny are easy. for tranny make sure you can break the filler before u break the drain.. use a oil gun and shoot some through till it looks clean then put the plug back in and fill er up and call it a day :) .

this how to is on a miata but its basically the same on most cars.
http://www.techguys.ca/howto/transmission_fluid.html