REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Technical Discussion > Maintenance, Engine & Driveline Tech

Maintenance, Engine & Driveline Tech This forum is brought to you by The Speed Syndicate (TSS) in Burnaby.
Discussion of maintaining your engine, transmission, differentails, rear ends, and mods associated with "driveline" parts..

Old 06-29-2010, 12:54 AM   #1
Need to Seek Professional Help

Fluid Flushes..

Hopefully I'm posting in the right forum....

Been reading up on some DIY guides for different fluid flushes (power steering, transmission, brake... etc.) Just wondering if anybody has done these themselves and could possibly share their experience with me? I'm considering doing it myself but at the same time, worried I might just screw up lol.

Also... in the manual it suggests to use Honda Genuine fluids.. is it absolutely necessary or are the ones in stores okay as well?
Advertisement
impulseX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 02:16 AM   #2
2x Variable Nockenwellen Steuerung

Thanked 1,174 Times in 704 Posts
They are all easy, provided you have the right tools.. for brakes like one hand bleeder.. for transmissions if it is an automatic, most individuals don't have the equipment to do a good flush easily. You can change, but a proper flush takes a while and you really need a recirculator.
godwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 05:09 PM   #3

Do you do your own flushes or take them to the shop? or do you simply just change the fluids?

For transmissions, are manual tranny flushes easier than automatic tranny flush?

From what I've read on different forums, and seen on videos on youtube, they didn't have any crazy tools... should i assume that those aren't really proper ways?
Old 06-29-2010, 08:15 PM   #4
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 1,276 Times in 308 Posts
For automatic transmission fluid, power steering fluid and rear differential fluid, you should use either Honda or "made for Hondas" fluids because of the required addictives. Some even say you should use Honda coolant as it has lubriants for the water pump while generic coolant may not. Oil and brake fluid can be generic fluids.
IMASA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 01:34 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMASA View Post
For automatic transmission fluid, power steering fluid and rear differential fluid, you should use either Honda or "made for Hondas" fluids because of the required addictives. Some even say you should use Honda coolant as it has lubriants for the water pump while generic coolant may not. Oil and brake fluid can be generic fluids.
Thanks!
Old 06-30-2010, 07:05 PM   #6
RS controls my life!

Cant really flush a manual trans, just a drain and fill. Honda atf is low viscosity (thinner) compared to dexron. For rear differentials, crv and elements use dual pump fluid. Pilots and ridgeline use vtm fluid. These are nothing like 80/90 gear oil in other differentials.
Old 07-01-2010, 01:40 PM   #7
Banned (BBM)

manual tranny, u want higher viscocity or lower? which one is better

i have always been flushing it with oem, but thinking to switch to other brand or not

Motul, Amosil or sth
Mugen EvOlutioN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 04:49 PM   #8

^is flushing manual tranny hard to do? I've been thinking about trying it...
Old 07-04-2010, 05:42 PM   #9
Hopeless Romantic

I flushed my manual transmission fluid on my rsx with a friend and it was really simple. Was basically going into it after having only seen a DIY video. If you've got common knowledge of what you're working around it shouldn't be too hard...

2002 Acura RSX (Sold)
1993 Mitsubishi Lancer Evo I (Sold)
2005 Mitsubishi Lancer Evo VIII (Daily Driven)
jtanner_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 06:22 PM   #10

i've been looking at DIY videos for tranny, brakes, power steering... didnt seem hard but just scared might screw up lol.
Old 07-04-2010, 09:42 PM   #11
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

brakes and manual tranny are easy. for tranny make sure you can break the filler before u break the drain.. use a oil gun and shoot some through till it looks clean then put the plug back in and fill er up and call it a day .

this how to is on a miata but its basically the same on most cars.
http://www.techguys.ca/howto/transmission_fluid.html
bikerx is offline   Reply With Quote