REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > REVscene Nation: Beyond The GVRD > Island Off-Topic

Island Off-Topic "Must you always talk about cars?" Not in here.
For other things in life..

Old 06-29-2010, 03:36 PM   #1
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,382 Times in 3,464 Posts
Barrons Home Appliance= Fail

One of our rental units had a dryer that was not working so we called Barrons Home Appliance center and they fixed it no problem. A few days later the washer stopped working so we called them and there tech says its the belt and barrings and says it worth repairing.

The repair costs $200 and I ask him if it works and he says he tested it and it works fine. The tenant goes to use it for the first time and it doesn't work. The tech comes back and says its now the clutch and the part is $350. Now we are out $200 and still don't have a washer that works and could have gotten a new one for $299.
Advertisement
Old 07-01-2010, 10:52 AM   #2
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

all stuff nowa days is throw away

92 Toyota supra highly modified (The ice cream will never have a chance to melt)
89 exo cage Toyota truck (so many gears to choose from)

I own nothing that is practical hahahaha
NashMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 07:50 PM   #3
B&S Sexy mod

^sad but true, if you cant DIY the labour costs hardly seem to make it worthwhile
stevo911_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 09:47 AM   #4
Island Mod

Appliances are so cheap these days its rarely worth trying to repair the old one. Our dryer just starting to "shit the bed" so we went to Home Depot and picked up a new Maytag dryer for $318 plus tax. Didn't need the washer but it was selling for $375 I believe.
Old 07-02-2010, 10:27 AM   #5
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 4,793 Times in 1,761 Posts
My dishwasher's drain pump died when shards from a broken glass got into it. I took it to West Coast appliances on Gorge for repairs.

I was a bit worried at the beginning.
At first they were like "We don't normally take repairs from customers, we send a service guy out" then when they saw the dishwasher they were like "Oh those 18" portable dishwashers are all made in China junk, only built to last 5 years"... "It's not going to be worth repairs if we can even get parts for it, you want to buy yourself a full size built-in one"...

I'm like "First of all, I find it hard to believe that a dishwasher that costs $700 new is only built to last 5 years". "Second, it's a Kenmore, which is really a Frigidaire, which is decent quality stuff and I know you can get parts for it". "Third, If I had the space for a full size built-in dishwasher I would HAVE a full size built-in dishwasher".

Fuckers just hoped that they would get some clueless sap that would say "Oh ok, I'll take your word for it, I'll just spend $1000 and buy a new one from you". (My uncle is in the appliance biz so I know a little bit about these things)

So they took it in, and 2 weeks later it was fixed. And the bill was only $150. Apart from their BS at the beginning, and the length of time for repairs (Two weeks for a pump replacement is kind of bunk, but hey this is the island where people are on island time) it turned out OK.
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is offline   Reply With Quote