REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 06-30-2010, 09:51 AM   #1
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,910 Times in 606 Posts
Great editorial about the RCMP

http://www.vancouversun.com/opinion/...282/story.html

"...It was then that I realized that I, like most British Columbians, have lost faith in, and respect for, the RCMP as an institution."
Advertisement
Sid Vicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 10:09 AM   #2
Da Vinci's real masterpiece: The Mona Diesel

Here is the article if you dont want to click in:

Quote:
Why we must look at the RCMP's performance in B.C.

By Tex Enemark, Special to the Sun June 30, 2010

A few weeks ago, I suffered a theft from my car. I started to make a report to the Royal Canadian Mounted Police. Then I thought, "What's the use?" It was then that I realized that I, like most British Columbians, have lost faith in, and respect for, the RCMP as an institution.

It's not just Air India -- which is decades ago -- or Robert Dziekanski. It's the continuing saga and personal experiences. Every week there are stories about RCMP transgressions that do not bear close scrutiny, and that the RCMP, in their arrogance, have refused to be accountable for, such as the Ian Bush murder. There is, as well, allegations of rampant racism within the force, particularly in areas of B.C. where there are large numbers of ab-originals. "You should hear how they talk about us on police radio," one well-respected, moderate, soft-spoken chief said to me a few weeks ago.

Last week, on one day, there were three such stories in The Vancouver Sun. These range from drunken driving to having inappropriate relationships with witnesses, to deaths that seem less than accidental. And every week there are letters to the editor in papers across the province decrying the behaviour of our police forces.

Justice Thomas Braidwood's report cited four officers for their unbelievable testimony. All future testimony by every RCMP witness is mortally tainted by that comment. Once police lose their reputations for, if nothing else, telling the truth, what public confidence can they command? I feel sorry for future prosecutors and future judges. Having witnesses of doubtful veracity, whose behaviour in the face of clearly documented video evidence is scandalously being supported by the RCMP bureaucracy, is beyond comprehension and forgiveness. Here, apologies are meaningless.

But what to do? Despite the current RCMP charm offensive -- it is negotiating a 20-year renewal of the RCMP police services contract with B.C. -- and promises of better systems of future accountability, one would think that a more appropriate and satisfactory resolution of the problem would be taking steps to ensure better police performance in the future.

But when one starts looking at the issues, one soon realizes that the whole structure of policing in B.C. deserves careful, thorough, integrated examination. That is, municipal police forces create badly divided jurisdictional issues, resulting in poor coordination and gaps between policing efforts. The behaviour of municipal police is no better than the RCMP. The problem in West Vancouver a few years ago, and the recent police beating of an uninvolved bystander by Victoria police -- caught on video -- are examples.

Maybe the fact that the per-capita cost of policing by municipal forces should be examined. Vancouverites, for instance, paid $460 per capita for protective services (which includes fire protection), and Delta, which also has its own police force, paid $381. Surrey, using the RCMP, paid $266.

Why? Is the share of the cost of policing borne by municipal tax payers appropriate? How about the sharing of fine revenues? What about recruiting and training, which seem to be at the heart of many of the RCMP's problems? Is the RCMP's quasi-military command structure appropriate? Is it at all helpful that B.C.'s police personnel ultimately take their orders from Ottawa?

There are hundreds of valid questions that must be asked and answered, and this is the time to do it.

That is, irrespective of the best intentions of today's political leaders, once another 20-year policing contract has been signed, the current RCMP charm offensive will end and, for sure, it will be back to business as usual, despite the criticisms.

B.C. should negotiate a short renewal of the RCMP policing contract, something like five years, and appoint a blue-ribbon panel to examine issues of policing structure, accountability, recruiting, training, policing needs, inter-relationships and so on.

It should not be an examination of scandals haunting the RCMP and other police forces. Rather, it would have a mandate to look to the future, to the requirements of the wider community.

This could be done in 18 months. The government could take 18 months considering the report and considering options, then spend two years implementing them, along with an appropriate transition.

This is not a time for short-term reactions to immediate scandals. This would be a serious attempt, taking time to address one of the fundamental governance questions of this society at this time.

Let us seize that opportunity because, if we do not, we will certainly regret it.

Tex Enemark, a public policy consultant, is a former provincial deputy minister.
© Copyright (c) The Vancouver Sun

Old 06-30-2010, 10:24 AM   #3
SFICC-03*

Thanked 2,457 Times in 990 Posts
i noticed a huge difference between the rcmp and the washington state patrol last weekend i was in seattle.

i was near the clubbing area and there were officers pretty much on every block.
they were standing around, chatting with the party-goers, just being really friendly and not intimidating at all. their presence was felt but it was a real passive assertive tone.

total opposite of the rcmp.

the rcmp stand around in little circles, stare people down, act hard, try to intimidate even though half of them have less than 5 years of experience on the force.
totally different approach, and they try to force you to respect them instead of actually being respectable figures.
unit is online now   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 06-30-2010, 10:30 AM   #4
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by unit View Post
i noticed a huge difference between the rcmp and the washington state patrol last weekend i was in seattle.

i was near the clubbing area and there were officers pretty much on every block.
they were standing around, chatting with the party-goers, just being really friendly and not intimidating at all. their presence was felt but it was a real passive assertive tone.

the rcmp stand around in little circles, stare people down, act hard, try to intimidate even though half of them have less than 5 years of experience on the force.
totally different approach, and they try to force you to respect them instead of actually being respectable figures.
Yeah true that. Was in seattle a couple weeks ago, and needed some help, so I asked one of the cops standing outside the venue, they were actually really nice and helped me out. Even the cop that pulled me over on the way back for speeding let me go with a warning and was pretty nice/chatty too.

The RCMP are total assholes when you have to deal with them about anything.
Strzelec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 10:37 AM   #5
In RS I Trust

Thanked 17,584 Times in 4,299 Posts
That's a very good and true atricle, a month back my dads work van got broken into at 130am
They punched 3 locks and didn't steal anything since we caught them in the act and they took
Off unable to catch them. The g/f said to me what should we do and my reaction was put the van
On the side of the house and we will deal with it in the morning
She said what about the police but what would they do? Not a thing just
Waste our time wn I should be sleeping.
Posted via RS Mobile
murd0c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 03:59 PM   #6
2010 RS Top Food Critic Winner

Related - I just read this article about Jim Chu from Vancouver Magazine today.

http://www.vanmag.com/News_and_Featu...couver/Jim_Chu

Quote:
ROBERTO Luongo wasn’t the only guardian under intense scrutiny during the Winter Olympics. The chief of the Vancouver police department, Jim Chu, had the unenviable task of “securing public spaces” during the Games. If the cops did their job well, nobody would notice them; if they slipped up, everyone would notice them, especially after a couple of hundred civilian “observers” were trained by the BC Civil Liberties Association and the Pivot Legal Society.

The police pretty much aced the test. After the drunken debauchery on the first weekend of the Games, Chu “requested” downtown liquor stores close early. He flooded the downtown with mostly genial cops, whose easygoing presence fixed a mood of order. When a group gathered on Hastings Street to block the torch relay, the relay was simply rerouted without incident. As for the so-called “riots” in front of the Bay? Well, the property damage that day, combined with the restraint of the police, was surely a turning point. Vancouverites ambivalent about the Games lost sympathy for the resistance movement then and there. At the opening ceremonies, as Wayne Gretzky rolled down Georgia, police were shockingly hands-off, letting drunken revellers run alongside his pickup like, as one blogger put it, “a parade of shitkickers from Surrey in town for the big night.” As he left town, NBC anchor Brian Williams thanked Canada “for securing this massive event without choking security, and without publicly displaying a single automatic weapon.” The line police are supposed to walk, keeping peace without crimping free expression, they walked.

Because Olympic security was a joint effort with the military and the RCMP, it’s hard to tease out Chu’s influence precisely. Nonetheless, he emerged from the experience somehow annealed. The consensus is that he did an excellent job, that he’s worth every penny of his $303,602 salary, and his public approval is perhaps the highest for a Vancouver police chief ever. Still, some recent examples of VPD misconduct suggest that his greatest challenge lies ahead.

Chu's corner office at the Cambie Street station was so tidy it seemed, on the day I visited, that no one worked there. He came over to meet me at the door. A lot of police officers walk like cops long after they’ve left the street—some memory of the weight and bulkiness of the equipment belt? Not Chu. He is fit and compact and looks about 35, though he is 50. You can see the little kid in him, the seven-year-old school safety-patrol volunteer at General Wolfe elementary who maintained the peace at the corner of Ontario and Templeton. (When Constable Fred Els, the patrol officer, would talk to the kids about life on the streets, there’d be little Jimmy rapt at his feet, soaking it up.)

When Chu speaks of his upbringing, it’s hard not to think of the origin myth of a superhero. The eldest son of immigrants who moved here from Shanghai when he was three, he attended gritty Sir Charles Tupper secondary—the same school that produced gangster Bindy Joal and other ne’er-do-wells. (“Some of the kids I ran into then are dead,” he said. “Some of them I have booked into the jail. Some of the kids had some struggles and then turned their life around. Tupper had its ups and downs.”) Local toughs, headquartered in aptly named Rowdy Park, prowled the neighbourhood looking for nice kids to beat the crap out of.
split up into 6 pages, good read.
K-Dub is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-30-2010, 06:18 PM   #7
GO FLAMES GO

Thanked 2,210 Times in 701 Posts
id be a cop...i still respect them
2001 Acura Integra Type-R *SOLD*
Club-Integra.net OG
Your Friendly Neighborhood Firefighter
Tegra_Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-30-2010, 09:27 PM   #8
My homepage has been set to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by unit View Post

i find cops are the nicest when they know and you know they have a shit load of backup around the corner
goo3 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-30-2010, 11:27 PM   #9
Need my Daily Fix of RS

How soon we forget about the wonderful Olympic experience. The gold medal day was one of my most fond memories in Vancouver. Celabratory crowd in various states of sobriety, yet peaceful and calm with happy RCMP / VPD members everywhere. There are bad apples in every organization and they're the ones that make news; considering the scope of their work, I think that overall they're doing a more than adequate job.
rsx604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 11:44 PM   #10
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 1,314 Times in 540 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsx604 View Post
How soon we forget about the wonderful Olympic experience. The gold medal day was one of my most fond memories in Vancouver. Celabratory crowd in various states of sobriety, yet peaceful and calm with happy RCMP / VPD members everywhere. There are bad apples in every organization and they're the ones that make news; considering the scope of their work, I think that overall they're doing a more than adequate job.
Yeah but good apples don't sell papers as well as bad apples. Go to any country and you won't find a gov't or law enforcement body that's not flawed.

I still maintain that Canada is still one of the best places people have the privilege to reside in. A lot of people are forgetting where they came from and why our parents or grandfathers chose to leave their country of origin.
Noir is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-30-2010, 11:52 PM   #11

Thanked 1,910 Times in 606 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noir View Post
Yeah but good apples don't sell papers as well as bad apples. Go to any country and you won't find a gov't or law enforcement body that's not flawed.

I still maintain that Canada is still one of the best places people have the privilege to reside in. A lot of people are forgetting where they came from and why our parents or grandfathers chose to leave their country of origin.
So your argument is:
its fine that their are a multitude of scandals wherein the RCMP has either gotten away with homicide, participated in witness tampering, or fucked up an huge investigation because these types of things also happen in other countries?
tax payers have an inherent right and responsibility to criticize their police and should have a definite say in how it is run.
Sid Vicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 11:56 PM   #12

Thanked 1,352 Times in 445 Posts
Cocky. Asshole. Rude.

Doesn't that sound like the rest of Vancouver?
Posted via RS Mobile
vafanculo is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 07-01-2010, 02:43 AM   #13
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,926 Times in 3,878 Posts
I got as far as

"And every week there are letters to the editor in papers across the province decrying the behaviour of our police forces."

and then I stopped. people that write letters to the paper are always fucking morons, and bringing them up in this article just made me laugh at this author.

oh and "well-respected, moderate, soft-spoken chief" made me lol too, simply because it's so over-descriptive
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 10:22 AM   #14
~~

Jim chu makes 300k a year?!
Posted via RS Mobile
rien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 02:48 PM   #15
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jensing View Post
Jim chu makes 300k a year?!
Posted via RS Mobile
for what he has to do and the burden on his shoulders, that's about right.... now if only he did a better job.
Old 07-04-2010, 10:49 AM   #16
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 3,782 Times in 1,242 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsx604 View Post
Go say that to a guy I know who got shit kicked by a couple RCMP's brought in from the prairies. He had to have his jaw wired shut, plastic surgery on his face, etc, etc.
Old 07-04-2010, 12:27 PM   #17
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

at least all we got to bitch about are petty crimes like broken in cars... where as other countries have to deal with massive property damage and dead family members that go unnoticed.
Anjew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 05:47 PM   #18
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Thanked 2,719 Times in 392 Posts
1982 TE72
1988 5.0
1990 S13 Coupe
2006 Mazda B4000 4x4
1987 Ae86 Coupe
1988 Cressida Wagon
1985 Cressida 7m Swap
1987 Ae86 Hatch