REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 07-05-2010, 07:40 PM   #26
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

Get them installed at a shop in the states!!
Advertisement
tegz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 07:44 PM   #27
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Besides Hagen's, what are some commonly used mailboxes at Blaine?
Audi-Quattro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 07:54 PM   #28
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Quote:
Originally Posted by inv4zn View Post
^wow, that's some good info.

Although that sounds like a terrible waste of time as well lol
it's not bad considering you'll need more time if you ship to point roberts.
Old 07-05-2010, 08:02 PM   #29
MOD

Thanked 7,553 Times in 1,957 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audi-Quattro View Post

http://www.pacificmailandparcel.com/

Gh0stRider's Buy & Sell Feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieH View Post
whole time i thought gh0strider was white lol

Gh0stRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 08:05 PM   #30
The RS Freebie guru

Thanked 2,491 Times in 860 Posts
Everyone responds like they know what they're talking about, but yet pretty much everything that's been said is incomplete or even plain wrong.

Listen up, here's the scoop.

If you ship it to the US and bring it back yourself, it will cost you the following: $60 shipping + Duty + HST

If you ship it to Canada directly by UPS Ground, it will cost you the following: $100 shipping + $61.40 brokerage + duty + HST

So basically, you're looking at paying at LEAST over $100 extra for shipping to Canada directly by UPS Ground.

HOWEVER... if you can get the seller to ship it to Canada directly via UPS Expedited, then there is NO brokerage charge. Say the cost to upgrade to UPS Expedited is $25, so the total will be the following: $125 Shipping + Duty + HST

It will still cost over $60 more to ship directly to Canada.

Bottom line is, anytime there is a significant difference in shipping price to the US and Canada, that alone is enough to determine that shipping to Point Roberts is a better option.
InvisibleSoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 09:23 PM   #31
HELP ME PLS!!!

I wouldn't trust the brokerage on their site... it could be 300.. I swear some guy just marks it however he wants. i've seen boxes double in price by UPS. IE $400 worth of goods with a $400 UPS bill at the door.
johny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 09:39 PM   #32
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 1,379 Times in 578 Posts
with courier companies if you under declare it is very unlikely custom will open it and check as the company declares it for you. 80% of my large packages from usps has been open by the custom and i swear it gets lost in the custom warehouse for a week before it gets moving, doesn't really make a difference if you are shipping something cheap but it you are shipping something really expensive it could make a big difference.
threezero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 08:54 AM   #33
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Quote:
Originally Posted by johny View Post
I wouldn't trust the brokerage on their site... it could be 300.. I swear some guy just marks it however he wants. i've seen boxes double in price by UPS. IE $400 worth of goods with a $400 UPS bill at the door.
I've seen this as well, I've since stopped using UPS for anything. They're a bunch of scheisty bastards.
1990 Mercedes 300TE. Future daily
2000 Subaru Impreza. Broken, lady's daily
Delerious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 09:40 AM   #34
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,699 Times in 446 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audi-Quattro View Post
My family and I use Mail Boxes International. It's right by the Cost Cutter/Shell Station/mini mall on D Street.
woob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 09:50 AM   #35
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,469 Times in 1,131 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by InvisibleSoul View Post
Bottom line is, anytime there is a significant difference in shipping price to the US and Canada, that alone is enough to determine that shipping to Point Roberts is a better option.
Except when you factor in your time, particularly if you cannot get to Point Roberts during business hours (the last time I checked, none of those PO box places are open on Sundays, or into the late evening.)
Tapioca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 12:58 PM   #36
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

nvm...
bikerx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 01:31 PM   #37

I usually have stuffs sent to Point Roberts or Blaine, picked them up from the PO box then repacked it and mailed it to my house using USPS as gifts ...

post office is 2 blocks away from Hagen's in Blaine and right next door from TSB in Point Roberts, so easy ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JL9000 View Post
this is the internet and everyone knows better about what happened sitting behind a desk than the people who are actually involved.
buddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 05:04 PM   #38
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddy View Post
I usually have stuffs sent to Point Roberts or Blaine, picked them up from the PO box then repacked it and mailed it to my house using USPS as gifts ...

post office is 2 blocks away from Hagen's in Blaine and right next door from TSB in Point Roberts, so easy ...
gift doesnt always work. You can still be taxed on it by the discretion of the officer dealing with it.

"Goods returned" however....

I dont understand the need to go there and ship it to yourself again though. Why not just bring it over the border since you are there. If it's something significant enough that you'll have to pay alot of tax on, im sure the shipping cost will cost the same.
Old 07-06-2010, 07:07 PM   #39
"Entertainment" mod.

Thanked 3,428 Times in 1,049 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tegz View Post
Get them installed at a shop in the states!!
I wonder about this...Seeing as I have family in the States, what if I did a private sale with a seller for rims/tires down there (or with a shop for that matter), installed them on my car, and came back up? Would I still need to pay taxes on them, even though they are on my car?
Old 07-06-2010, 11:03 PM   #40
The RS Freebie guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapioca View Post
Except when you factor in your time, particularly if you cannot get to Point Roberts during business hours (the last time I checked, none of those PO box places are open on Sundays, or into the late evening.)
True to a degree. It takes about half hour each way from East Vancouver, plus factor in another half hour for the borders and pickup.

However, you can also factor getting a full tank of gas for cheaper while you're down there...

So...

Shipping to Point Roberts is worth it if:

90 minutes > Difference in shipping cost - $3 for picking up package + Savings of gas purchase
Old 07-06-2010, 11:28 PM   #41
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapioca View Post
hagens is open until 8pm on wednesdays.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorneringArtist View Post
I wonder about this...Seeing as I have family in the States, what if I did a private sale with a seller for rims/tires down there (or with a shop for that matter), installed them on my car, and came back up? Would I still need to pay taxes on them, even though they are on my car?
if you're buying wheels, what are you doing with your old ones?
StealthFighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 08:07 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by J____ View Post
gift doesnt always work. You can still be taxed on it by the discretion of the officer dealing with it.

"Goods returned" however....

I dont understand the need to go there and ship it to yourself again though. Why not just bring it over the border since you are there. If it's something significant enough that you'll have to pay alot of tax on, im sure the shipping cost will cost the same.
I ship it because there is a good chance I dun get tax on it ... bring it over in person will get taxed for sure ... been there, done that ...

shipping cost is cheap for me because what I order regularly is pretty light in weight ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JL9000 View Post
this is the internet and everyone knows better about what happened sitting behind a desk than the people who are actually involved.
buddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 09:04 AM   #43
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

What if I picked up and bring over used wheels or used car parts over from point roberts/blaine. Do I need to declare or pay tax and duties? But there is no receipt, just forum deals.
Old 07-07-2010, 09:13 AM   #44
I subscribe to the Revscene NWS thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amuse View Post
What if I picked up and bring over used wheels or used car parts over from point roberts/blaine. Do I need to declare or pay tax and duties? But there is no receipt, just forum deals.
If you paid via Paypal or some other similar method, print out the payment page and bring it with you just in case. That's what I usually do, although to be honest, I think they've only ever looked at my receipts once in the 4 years I've been going back and forth across the border.
syee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 03:46 PM   #45
"Entertainment" mod.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthFighter View Post
if you're buying wheels, what are you doing with your old ones?
Trunking them. I should be able to fit 4 15-inch wheels in there since my trunk is pretty big... Or I can keep them at my uncle's until I can find a way to bring them back.
Old 07-07-2010, 03:54 PM   #46
I subscribe to the Revscene NWS thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorneringArtist View Post
Yes, you'll technically still have to pay taxes on them even if they are on your car. You're still importing them whether they're on your car or in your trunk. Therefore, you have to pay the associated taxes and duties on the item.

Most people try to get away with paying the taxes by having the tires mounted in the US (and the retailer would discard their old tires) and driving back with the new tires. Essentially, they're evading the taxes by making it look like they didn't buy anything. (as it would be difficult for the Customs people to prove if they had new tires going down or whether they bought them in the US). The fact that you have them mounted on your car, and the old ones in the trunk would make it even more difficult if you wanted to try this method as there is fairly concrete proof in your trunk that proves otherwise.
syee is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-07-2010, 04:06 PM   #47
"Entertainment" mod.

^ Thanks for that. Now I can just figure out whether or not the price differential of buying used in the States or up here (ie. RS if the right ones come up on the B&S), is worth paying the duty and taxes.
Old 07-08-2010, 04:36 PM   #48
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

I don't know why you people say you get dinged for Duties going across Point Roberts when the stuff is shipped into the states, and you've picked it up yourself. I've only had to pay GST & PST (Before June) last time I went. It was a whopping $44 in taxes for $400~ set of shocks, and I got the items shipped free to USA. And its only 60KM to & from so if you need gas it will save you 20c a litre filling up down there.

P.S never ship UPS. For service and value you're much better off with Fedex or USPS, even DHL FFS
Old 07-08-2010, 06:53 PM   #49
The RS Freebie guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgman View Post
I don't know why you people say you get dinged for Duties going across Point Roberts when the stuff is shipped into the states, and you've picked it up yourself.
Because you're supposed to. Of course, it depends on what type of item it is and where it is made.

If you've never had to pay duty, then it's one of three things:
1.) The type of items you bought are not subject to duties
2.) The type of items you bought are subject to duties, but was made in North America
3.) The border guards were too lazy to look up the proper designation of the item to determine the actual duty rate, and just classified it under something more common that does not have duties instead.