REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 07-05-2010, 11:09 PM   #1
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,091 Times in 773 Posts
Finland makes broadband a 'legal right'

Quote:
Finland has become the first country in the world to make broadband a legal right for every citizen.

From 1 July every Finn will have the right to access to a 1Mbps (megabit per second) broadband connection.

Finland has vowed to connect everyone to a 100Mbps connection by 2015.

In the UK the government has promised a minimum connection of at least 2Mbps to all homes by 2012 but has stopped short of enshrining this as a right in law.

The Finnish deal means that from 1 July all telecommunications companies will be obliged to provide all residents with broadband lines that can run at a minimum 1Mbps speed.

Broadband commitment

Speaking to the BBC, Finland's communication minister Suvi Linden explained the thinking behind the legislation: "We considered the role of the internet in Finns everyday life. Internet services are no longer just for entertainment.

"Finland has worked hard to develop an information society and a couple of years ago we realised not everyone had access," she said.

It is believed up to 96% of the population are already online and that only about 4,000 homes still need connecting to comply with the law.

In the UK internet penetration stands at 73%.

The British government has agreed to provide everyone with a minimum 2Mbps broadband connection by 2012 but it is a commitment rather than a legally binding ruling.

"The UK has a universal service obligation which means virtually all communities will have broadband," said a spokesman for the Department for Culture, Media and Sport.

Making broadband a legal right could have implications for countries that plan tough action on illegal file-sharing.

Both the UK and France have said they may cut off or limit the internet connections of people who persistently download music or films for free.

The Finnish government has adopted a more gentle approach.

"We will have a policy where operators will send letters to illegal file-sharers but we are not planning on cutting off access," said Ms Linden.

A poll conducted for the BBC World Service earlier this year found that almost four in five people around the world believed that access to the internet is a fundamental right.
I've written to my MP saying pretty much the same thing and even linking this article. I hope it's something we can get across close minded mp's.
Advertisement
Meowjin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 11:34 PM   #2
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,386 Times in 3,466 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MajinHurricane View Post
I've written to my MP saying pretty much the same thing and even linking this article. I hope it's something we can get across close minded mp's.
I like the idea but how would you get broadband to remote communities like places up north?
Old 07-05-2010, 11:46 PM   #3
The "You'd Know" Moderator

Why? You're still using a 14.4kb/s connection?

We only have 6 times as many people as Finland while our landmass is around 30 times as big as Finland.

Ezekiel 25:17. The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he who, in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of the darkness. For he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know I am the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon you.
impactX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 12:09 AM   #4
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,091 Times in 773 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by impactX View Post
Why? You're still using 14.4kb/s connection?
I think you misread the article.
Meowjin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 01:41 AM   #5
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,545 Times in 841 Posts
lol... those wacky europeans
Qmx323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 01:48 AM   #6
Need to Seek Professional Help

Quote:
Got nothing better to do?
Old 07-06-2010, 05:21 AM   #7
RS controls my life!

Quote:
lol it'll be way to expensive / economically unfeasible for telephone companies to upgrade all the infrastructure just to support few customers to go on broadband connections which means that they'll either charge all their customers more so that those few people can get online if it becomes a law or the government will have to give them massive subsidies
Old 07-06-2010, 07:14 AM   #8
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 2,485 Times in 1,007 Posts
i dont think its good idea to make Broadband Connection a legal right... maybe in a big city its good, but if you want it to cover the entire nation, its ridiculous... not to mention expensive that consumers will have to pay
Old 07-06-2010, 07:32 AM   #9
RS controls my life!

Canada is far too large to make this idea realistic. The costs of providing broadband connections to the North would be astronomically high.
Old 07-06-2010, 07:41 AM   #10
Da Vinci's real masterpiece: The Mona Diesel

Well anything less then 56k is a crime!
Old 07-06-2010, 08:01 AM   #11
Banned By Establishment

so let me get this right.

even if you DON'T want broadband at an address you HAVE to have it?

spy much?
Shun Izaki is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 07-06-2010, 10:37 AM   #12
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,386 Times in 3,466 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shun Izaki View Post
so let me get this right.

even if you DON'T want broadband at an address you HAVE to have it?

spy much?
Just because you have a right doesn't mean you have to use it.