REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum


Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.


Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Police Forum

Police Forum Police Head Mod: Skidmark
Questions & info about the Motor Vehicle Act. Mature discussion only.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-07-2010, 01:45 AM   #1
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS
 
SilverBlitz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: 604
Posts: 567
Thanked 280 Times in 53 Posts
fleeing from police

So I'm in a situation here i lent my friend vehicle to my other friend with consent and he fled from the police is there anyway I'm going to be drag into this with my other friend?
Advertisement
__________________
Quote:
Originally posted by E N D L E S S
these cars are like high maintenance girlfriends, and everytime they whine or something isn't right....your bank account crys
SilverBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 01:48 AM   #2
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS
 
cococly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Van
Posts: 1,591
Thanked 341 Times in 82 Posts
Has your friend's friend actually evaded a police chase on public road using your friend's car?
cococly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 01:50 AM   #3
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS
 
SilverBlitz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: 604
Posts: 567
Thanked 280 Times in 53 Posts
well he was on a motorcycle and he took off he said the police didn't give chase
__________________
Quote:
Originally posted by E N D L E S S
these cars are like high maintenance girlfriends, and everytime they whine or something isn't right....your bank account crys
SilverBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 02:48 AM   #4
Banned (ABWS)
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Richmond
Posts: 1,011
Thanked 71 Times in 34 Posts
LOL
Fobman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 04:28 AM   #5
Everyone wants a piece of R S...
 
hsh4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 386
Thanked 274 Times in 51 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fobman View Post
LOL
+1
hsh4 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 05:22 AM   #6
I want to be a person and not an icon.
 
Vale46Rossi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Mugello
Posts: 4,173
Thanked 5,283 Times in 892 Posts
Well if he fled the police most likely got the plate and will or already gave the registered owner a visit. I m guessing police gave the registered owner a ticket regarding speeding / fleeing or whatever. If so your friend will have to go to court to dispute haha... But you wont get in trouble
Vale46Rossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 07:56 AM   #7
CRS
ninja edits your posts without your knowledge
 
CRS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 14,364
Thanked 5,489 Times in 1,480 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenDuang View Post
Well if he fled the police most likely got the plate and will or already gave the registered owner a visit. I m guessing police gave the registered owner a ticket regarding speeding / fleeing or whatever. If so your friend will have to go to court to dispute haha... But you wont get in trouble
Don't get ahead of yourself.

If you are the registered owner, you're going to get dragged into this. Your friend's friend will need to man up if you're going to get off the hook. Otherwise, you're going to be SOL.
CRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 08:44 AM   #8
Banned (ABWS)
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Richmond
Posts: 5,138
Thanked 2,215 Times in 509 Posts
your friend could tell the police he was nowhere near where the incident occurred, have a friend be a "witness" and testify that he was nowhere near the incident but was instead at location "x".
illicitstylz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 04:52 PM   #9
HELP ME PLS!!!
 
6793026's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: BC, HK, USA
Posts: 5,733
Thanked 1,392 Times in 503 Posts
If the popo did get your license plate, they will issue you a ticket or visited your house.

so now, if they come and issue you a ticket, you can say "it wasn't me"
"well who was it"
this is when you have to man up and provide your friend's name.

Either way, you'll have to provide evidence that it wasn't you (say you were at a public place with withness to prove the validity) OR provide proof if was your friend.

someone borrowed my bike or what if it was 'stolen' well then why didn't you file a police report etc.....
__________________
Arguing on the internet is like running in the SPECIAL OLYMPICS.

Even if you win, you're still retarded.
6793026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 11:03 PM   #10
I want to be a person and not an icon.
 
Vale46Rossi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Mugello
Posts: 4,173
Thanked 5,283 Times in 892 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRS View Post
Don't get ahead of yourself.

If you are the registered owner, you're going to get dragged into this. Your friend's friend will need to man up if you're going to get off the hook. Otherwise, you're going to be SOL.
Quote:
Originally Posted by illicitstylz View Post
your friend could tell the police he was nowhere near where the incident occurred, have a friend be a "witness" and testify that he was nowhere near the incident but was instead at location "x".
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6793026 View Post
If the popo did get your license plate, they will issue you a ticket or visited your house.

so now, if they come and issue you a ticket, you can say "it wasn't me"
"well who was it"
this is when you have to man up and provide your friend's name.

Either way, you'll have to provide evidence that it wasn't you (say you were at a public place with withness to prove the validity) OR provide proof if was your friend.

someone borrowed my bike or what if it was 'stolen' well then why didn't you file a police report etc.....




All true, but like this:

You're innocent till proven guilty meaning if the cop only saw your car there is not enough proof as he did not ID the person operating the vehicle. It would be even easier IF you have proof where you were at the time.

In court (if owner disputes ticket), owner can tell the judge I was not operating the vehicle at the time and the judge will have to see the police's evidence and if the police did not SEE you the officer can not lie and say that he saw you and that would be No Evidence.

About the name tag game that you guys were talking about , I believe the same no ID plea can be used because there police would need YOU to become the evidence and if you're not he is useless as well.

(Owner ---> Friend 1 ---> Friend 2 ---> Friend 3)

If friend 3 just says NO the police can't do anything about it.


That is from MY understanding dont take my account for it.

(friend was in the same situation and this is exactly what happened)
Vale46Rossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 11:05 PM   #11
I want to be a person and not an icon.
 
Vale46Rossi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Mugello
Posts: 4,173
Thanked 5,283 Times in 892 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6793026 View Post
If the popo did get your license plate, they will issue you a ticket or visited your house.

so now, if they come and issue you a ticket, you can say "it wasn't me"
"well who was it"
this is when you have to man up and provide your friend's name.

Either way, you'll have to provide evidence that it wasn't you (say you were at a public place with withness to prove the validity) OR provide proof if was your friend.

someone borrowed my bike or what if it was 'stolen' well then why didn't you file a police report etc.....


Oh about this,

Just because a cop SAW your license plate does not mean anything

in the end in court it goes on his evidence... I SAW HIS LICENSE PLATE

if he cant clearly prove that he saw YOU as the driver you're already in a very good position.
Vale46Rossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 11:33 PM   #12
Rs has made me the man i am today!
 
optiblue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Burnaby
Posts: 3,191
Thanked 274 Times in 135 Posts
My advice to you is to not worry until you get something in the mail.
Posted via RS Mobile
optiblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 11:38 PM   #13
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!
 
KuSouL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Toronto
Posts: 925
Thanked 275 Times in 54 Posts
where were you / what were you doing at the time
hopefully something with proof / in public
then maybe you don't even have to drag your friend in
as long as you can prove it wasn't you
KuSouL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 01:12 AM   #14
CRS
ninja edits your posts without your knowledge
 
CRS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 14,364
Thanked 5,489 Times in 1,480 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenDuang View Post
All true, but like this:

You're innocent till proven guilty meaning if the cop only saw your car there is not enough proof as he did not ID the person operating the vehicle. It would be even easier IF you have proof where you were at the time.

In court (if owner disputes ticket), owner can tell the judge I was not operating the vehicle at the time and the judge will have to see the police's evidence and if the police did not SEE you the officer can not lie and say that he saw you and that would be No Evidence.

About the name tag game that you guys were talking about , I believe the same no ID plea can be used because there police would need YOU to become the evidence and if you're not he is useless as well.

(Owner ---> Friend 1 ---> Friend 2 ---> Friend 3)

If friend 3 just says NO the police can't do anything about it.


That is from MY understanding dont take my account for it.

(friend was in the same situation and this is exactly what happened)
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenDuang View Post
Oh about this,

Just because a cop SAW your license plate does not mean anything

in the end in court it goes on his evidence... I SAW HIS LICENSE PLATE

if he cant clearly prove that he saw YOU as the driver you're already in a very good position.
I don't think you realize the difference between being charged as the registered owner vs. the driver.
CRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 06:23 AM   #15
RS Peace Officer
 
zulutango's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Vancouver Islan
Posts: 3,850
Thanked 1,623 Times in 678 Posts
As the RO you are responsible for what happens to your vehicle and you get the charges as the RO. You as the RO are also required by the MV Acty to identify the driver if they ask you and can be charged for failing to do that. Don't evern consider getting into lying under oath in court...that's a criminal code offence. If the Cops arrive, tell your "buddy" to man up and not stick you with fines for something HE did. If he won't then he is no friend and the Police need to know the truth. If your "buddy" had caused a crash during his chase and injured or killed someone, would you still cover for him?

Duty to give information
84 (1) If a peace officer has reason to believe that a motor vehicle has been involved in an accident or in a contravention of this Act, the Commercial Transport Act or the Transportation Act, the regulations under any of these Acts, the bylaws of a municipality or the laws of a treaty first nation, and so informs the owner or a person in the motor vehicle, it is the duty of the owner or person, as the case may be, if required by the peace officer, to give all information it is in his or her power to give relating to the identification of the driver of the motor vehicle at the relevant time or during the relevant period.

(2) If the owner or other person fails to comply with subsection (1), or gives information that he or she knows to be false or does not believe to be true, he or she commits an offence against this Act.

of owner for contravention of Act


83 (1) In this section:

"owner" includes

(a) a person in possession of a motor vehicle under a contract by which the person may become the owner on full compliance with the contract, and in whose name alone the motor vehicle is registered, and

((2) The owner of a motor vehicle must be held liable for any contravention of

(a) this Act or the regulations,

Last edited by zulutango; 07-08-2010 at 06:29 AM.
zulutango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 12:24 AM   #16
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS
 
underscore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Kel-pwn-a
Posts: 11,979
Thanked 4,966 Times in 2,173 Posts
from reading the original post, the OP here is neither the RO of the bike, nor the one who fled.

RO -> lent to Silverblitz -> lent to friend with RO permission
__________________
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S // 1991 Toyota Celica GTFour RC FOR SALE // 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD

Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 01:04 PM   #17
RS Peace Officer
 
zulutango's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Vancouver Islan
Posts: 3,850
Thanked 1,623 Times in 678 Posts
Ah so....the situation remains the same...the RO IS responsible unless he identifies the driver...so he's going to have to talk to the guy he originally lent the bike to...and then talk to the second loaner...then tell the Police what he knows, to get off the hook. Lesson learned...never loan your bike to anybody....specially a budddy who will loan it to his buddy. Such is life.
zulutango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 04:51 PM   #18
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: richmond
Posts: 2,834
Thanked 1,485 Times in 568 Posts
It doesn't matter who was driving. When you register and insure a vehicle and sign on the dotted line you claim full responsibility for said vehicle. That means you are responsible when someone else was operating your vehicle in an irresponsible manner.
__________________
Rise Auto Salon

11938 95a Ave Delta
I can be reached VIA text @ 778-232-1465

Oil change special $70 5 liters synthetic oil including OEM filter Fender rolling from $45 per fender
Car Audio:
Focal, Morel, Genesis, Clarion, Scosche, Escort, Compustar, GReddy, Blitz, Tomei, Motul, Endless, Defi, Cusco, Nismo + More


We specialize in:
Custom Car Audio
Race/4x4 Fabrication
Forced Induction
Engine Swaps
General Maintenance
Phil@rise is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 01:56 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
Revscene.net cannot be held accountable for the actions of its members nor does the opinions of the members represent that of Revscene.net