REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Police Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/police-forum_143/)
-   -   What can I do? please help! (https://www.revscene.net/forums/619325-what-can-i-do-please-help.html)

BallPeenHammer2 07-08-2010 01:15 AM

What can I do? please help!

Hi all, just have some questions:

I just got a notice from ICBC today saying that they intend to revoke my license, for a few tickets I've had over the last few years. I'm not proud of them but I've actually smartened up in the last year and half or so, trying to start anew.

I know I can send a letter asking them for review, but I wted to know this:

I have a career in the auto industry that hinges on me being able to drive (i'm a service advisor, and it's also part of the reason why I smartened up)

Will that have any impact on whether or not they revoke it? Will they be able to at least grant me driving privelages just for work days/hours?

Also, I have a court hearing in ABBOTSFORD on the 26th for a ticket for something I actually did not do; which will fall outside of the 21day limit I have to have my case with ICBC reviewed.

If I don't get the review in my favor, then I can't get to court, because i checked and translink does not have active transit out to that sector. Am I just completely screwed? I can't afford a taxi from richmond to abbotsford, and i can't even represent myself! what can I do? Signing an afidavid to extend doesn't even guarantee me that they will say yes.

I know if I don't show up, and get convicted, ICBC will ADD more time to the suspension =(

I understand that i am being punished for something wrong I did, out stupidity. I'm ok with it, but at the same time, if it commpetely makes me jobless, and negates my right to represent myself, does it matter in their eyes?

Any help would be great. I'm very concerned and worried at this time =(

mkchoi0801 07-08-2010 02:03 AM

Please understand the difference between 'revoke' and 'suspend'
HUGE difference.

Edit: actually, after saying this, I'm not too sure if they're that much different after all haha. Must be 3AM.

Vale46Rossi 07-08-2010 04:07 AM

Lol

GL HF DD!!!!!

zulutango 07-08-2010 05:17 AM

I have never heard of MVB permitting a suspended driver to drive for work purposes. The letter from ICBC tells you, in so many words, that your suspension WILL start on the date you said. I don't know why they give people false hope with ther review information as they have decided, based on your history, that you are going to be walking for a time.

I have read some posts here from people who say that they were able to convince MVB to reduce the length of the prohibition period but I have no way of knowing if that is true and what the real facts were in their circumstances. If you wish to write to MVB then please do so. You may be able to convince them that you deserve to have your DL suspension reversed, although the odds say that is not very likely to happen. You have nothing to loose in trying.

As far as your court case goes, if there was $30,000 waiting there for you at that time, could you find a way to be there? If so, then you have your answer. Maybe get someone to drive you there? Maybe someone here on RS?

BallPeenHammer2 07-08-2010 07:09 AM

Well the letter is an INTEND to suspend, which states I have 3 weeks from the date of the letter to write for review, or hand over the license immediately.

My biggest worry is that for me, I'm in the automotive industry. So I NEED the license. I wasn't before, but since now I've found what I've wanted to do, I'm hoping to stay in it. I don't need to be able to drive TO and FROM work. just while WORKING.

And Zulu, if there were $30,000 waiting at the courthouse, I'd be less worried and would just take a taxi. LOL. The $30k can pay for it.

zulutango 07-08-2010 08:44 AM

I don't know why MVB does what they do as it confuses some people. It would be clearer if the letter said that your suspension starts on such a date...period. They then could add that there is a review process that you can access but the suspension is in effect unless it is overturned by the review. Should the review decide that your suspension is revoked,shortened etc then you will be informed at that time of the changes.

As far as the $30,000 goes I guess you could hire a stretch limo? My point was that if it the motivation is strong enough then a legal way to get there would be an obtainable goal.

ws6ta 07-08-2010 09:10 AM

Get a lawyer to write a letter for you. They can usually get the suspension cut down. I know of someone that got a 6 month cut down to 30 days.

I had one a few years ago where they said they would take my license for 30 days. Ended up costing me $1100 to keep my license.

sebberry 07-08-2010 10:06 AM

Good one MVB, suspending people who have already learned from their mistakes and have made an effort to turn things around.

Must be their way of acknowledging that tickets and fines do very little to promote good driving behaviors.

BallPeenHammer2 07-08-2010 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zulutango (Post 7020805)
I don't know why MVB does what they do as it confuses some people. It would be clearer if the letter said that your suspension starts on such a date...period. They then could add that there is a review process that you can access but the suspension is in effect unless it is overturned by the review. Should the review decide that your suspension is revoked,shortened etc then you will be informed at that time of the changes.

As far as the $30,000 goes I guess you could hire a stretch limo? My point was that if it the motivation is strong enough then a legal way to get there would be an obtainable goal.

I did call them today, and asked about that, they said that the intent to prohibit only applies after the 3 week period. So at this moment I'm safe to drive. My main concern is AFTER that =(

taylor192 07-08-2010 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sebberry (Post 7020912)
Good one MVB, suspending people who have already learned from their mistakes and have made an effort to turn things around.

Must be their way of acknowledging that tickets and fines do very little to promote good driving behaviors.

How do they know he's learned his mistakes other than some heartfelt plea on RS?

Do the crime, do the time.

BallPeenHammer2 07-08-2010 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ws6ta (Post 7020824)
Get a lawyer to write a letter for you. They can usually get the suspension cut down. I know of someone that got a 6 month cut down to 30 days.

I had one a few years ago where they said they would take my license for 30 days. Ended up costing me $1100 to keep my license.

Yeh I talked to my manager today and he will vouch for me with a letter stating that my license is pertinent to my job being kept. And to be honest, $1100 is WAY better than making $0.

BallPeenHammer2 07-08-2010 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by taylor192 (Post 7020997)
How do they know he's learned his mistakes other than some heartfelt plea on RS?

BECAUSE I SAID SO! Lol.

But you're right. I'm not trying to run away from it. I went to court for a few of them, to have them reduced, etc. But if I've done it, I'll man up for it. Straight up.

I'm much more responsible now but obviously this is gonna come back to haunt me. I'm not afraid of not driving. taking the bus for a couple months will probably get me in better shape and save a big chunk of money. The only real concern is that I REALLY want to keep my job, since automotive's my career.

I only wished I found it earlier.

BallPeenHammer2 07-08-2010 11:38 AM

One thing that HAS bugged me is the selective pullovers that happens.

2 of my tickets were less than 8km over limit (55 in 50 zone, 87k in 80 zone.)
The limit's the limit, I know. Even 1 km is breaking the law.

HOWEVER, yesterday on the way to work, there was a civic bombing down Victoria at 90kph at 7AM, with a cop coming towards him on the other side of the street.

Nothing. Absolutely nothing. No pullover, nothing. I was kind of appalled.

If I break the law, and get busted, then that's that.
But I wished they were more consistent.

I spend a lot of time in Richmond looking at cops NOT pulling over ppl recklessly driving, cutting in and out of traffic, tailgating, etc.

sebberry 07-08-2010 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by taylor192 (Post 7020997)

If they take his licence away and suspend his right to drive, how can he prove that he has learned his lesson?

As for doing the time for the crime, he did pay for his tickets already.

sebberry 07-08-2010 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BallPeenHammer2 (Post 7021006)
2 of my tickets were less than 8km over limit (55 in 50 zone, 87k in 80 zone.)
The limit's the limit, I know. Even 1 km is breaking the law.

Licence suspension for a couple of tickets like that is pathetic.
Tickets for those speeds is pathetic.

Greenstoner 07-08-2010 01:36 PM

http://www.pssg.gov.bc.ca/osmv/publi...nt-program.pdf

Interesting topic so i searched ICBC and found a detailed info regarding to this topic

BallPeenHammer2 07-08-2010 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sebberry (Post 7021019)
Tickets for those speeds is pathetic.

WELL, those were just 2 out of the 5. I had a couple really bad ones but were only 3 points. but yeah. of all my speeding tix, none of them were really bad.

Doesn't pay to be honest sometimes? HAHAHAHA. SHoulda just pleaded not guilty instead of manning up? LOL

dunno?

Soundy 07-08-2010 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sebberry (Post 7021019)

Quote:

Originally Posted by BallPeenHammer2 (Post 7020639)
Hi all, just have some questions:

I just got a notice from ICBC today saying that they intend to revoke my license, for a few tickets I've had over the last few years.

Try reading before whinging.

sebberry 07-08-2010 06:03 PM

The fact that 55 in a 50 zone even counts towards a licence suspension is ridiculous

Soundy 07-08-2010 06:19 PM

How do you know it did? For all we know, he may have two others that are 20+ over and one excessive and the 5-over one has nothing to do with it.

But it's easier to just whinge, isn't it, that to get the facts?

BallPeenHammer2 07-08-2010 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soundy (Post 7021387)
How do you know it did? For all we know, he may have two others that are 20+ over and one excessive and the 5-over one has nothing to do with it.

But it's easier to just whinge, isn't it, that to get the facts?

Actually they were all basic speeding tickets over the last 3 years.
none of them were over 10km of the limit

HOWEVER. Stilll does not justify it, no?
doesn't matter if it's 50km or 1 km over. If it's over it's over. I've always gone in to ask for reduction, pay times. But I believe if I got caught, then I should take it like a man. Maybe next time I should actually dispute a few, assuming there would be a next time? HAHA

I'm not trying to whine, but I AM a bit panicked.

BallPeenHammer2 07-08-2010 06:31 PM

but I can understand where Sebbery's coming from. Often times I see so many irresponsible drivers in this city, cutting people off, driving like maniacs, speeding EXCESSIVELY (read a few posts up) and getting away with it, it really makes one feel a little jaded.

Soundy 07-08-2010 11:07 PM

I drive quite a bit for work (service tech all over the Lower Mainland), I could give you at least half a dozen instances (often twice as many) PER DAY of times I just wished I was a cop, because of someone doing something brain-dead, ignorant, thoughtless, or just plain stupid in front of me.

Every now and then, you do get to see a little justice... like today, I was in the slow, slow afternoon crawl on Hwy. 1 eastbound - took me a full hour, no word of exaggeration, to get from Kensington to Brunette. I watched several motorcycles zip past me on the shoulder and so wished I was a$$hole enough to pull out and just block them...

Then just past Gaglardi, I saw four of them sitting stopped on the side... right behind a ghost car with its lights going. Not long after that, I saw a couple of the same bikes making their way through traffic - in the PROPER lanes... then saw another bike zip by on the shoulder... and the cop not far behind him.

I suppose they thought, too, that surely the cop must have had something better to do...

BallPeenHammer2 07-09-2010 01:22 AM

yeah no doubt. I find that bike riders always bitch about drivers but a lot of them put themselves in those positions.

I take the number one to work to north van, and I get into AT LEAST a close call per day, just because some moron wants to rip it up the cut or just bltantly cut ppl off.

-sigh-

sho_bc 07-09-2010 04:11 PM

to OP:
You're one of the few people on here who has the attitude that you have. May not mean much, but I'd much rather have someone like you pulled over or joining me in court than some others. We all appreciate people with attitudes like yours even though you're getting put in a tough spot at the moment. :thumbsup: