REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Police Forum

Police Forum Police Head Mod: Skidmark
Questions & info about the Motor Vehicle Act. Mature discussion only.

Old 07-10-2010, 06:48 PM   #1
I STILL don't get it

Driving without drivers license? (lost)

So I lost my drivers license card somewhere, I'm wondering if there's some way that I can legally drive without it? My license does not expire for another 4+ years, I remember my number, and I have a paper license from my road test on May 3rd. I have an obligation quite a distance away from where I live, and the icbc offices don't open until Monday. So. Am I out of luck?

By the way, this would be in Vancouver, BC. Thanks in advance!
Posted via RS Mobile
Advertisement

Last edited by LuHua; 07-10-2010 at 06:53 PM.
LuHua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 08:02 PM   #2
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

There won't be a serious problem, except cops can give you a ticket for not having your license on you. I think it's around $88, no DPP. Also, your paper license will have expired by now, so might as well throw it away cuz it's useless.
mkchoi0801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 08:05 PM   #3
My name is Michael. J. Caboose, and I hate BABIES!

Thanked 1,421 Times in 678 Posts
I think if you give them all your info, ie. drivers license #, home address, full name and birthdate, they usually just tell you to go get it and take it to the precinct (is that the right word?) where the officer works from to prove who you are and that your license isn't expired/revoked.

Although if you're a douche to them, they could probably give you a ticket and tow you since it's not legal to drive without one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by STATUS105 View Post
IF I FIND YOU
I WILL EAT YOUR RICE!
Inaii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 08:28 PM   #4

So in conclusion, it will be worth the trouble to go get another license.
Old 07-10-2010, 08:44 PM   #5
I STILL don't get it

Oh I'll definitely get a new license asap, it's just that unfortunately I need to drive before the icbc office opens on Monday x.x
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 07-10-2010, 08:53 PM   #6
I bringith the lowerballerith

When does your temporary DL (yellow paper) expire? You may technically still be able to use it (if it hasn't expired).

The charge is "Fail to Produce DL" with a fine of $81. I believe Drivers Services Centers are still open on the weekends? I know the one in Metrotown is.

Drive smart and you won't get pulled over/have anything to worry about. I've forgotten my wallet a few times over the years. I don't mind the $56 fine (paying early & getting the $25 off) for the inconvenience I've caused whoever pulls me over and the inconvenience I'd have already caused myself at that point. Mind you, the few times I've forgotten my wallet, I haven't been pulled over.
"Never give a match up halfway through. Never say that you do not feel up to it, that your condition is bad, and throw in the towel. Fight to the very end, always looking for your chance to break through." - Kazuzo Kudo
sho_bc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 08:56 PM   #7

I thought all yellow paper licenses were only good for a month.
Old 07-10-2010, 08:58 PM   #8

Its been a long time since I've had one, so I couldn't remember how long they lasted. With the way our postal system works, I'd hope the new licence would get to where it needs to be in time, but I wouldn't be surprised if it needed close to, if not more than, the full month with regular post.
"Never give a match up halfway through. Never say that you do not feel up to it, that your condition is bad, and throw in the towel. Fight to the very end, always looking for your chance to break through." - Kazuzo Kudo
Old 07-10-2010, 09:14 PM   #9

They tell you that the license should be mailed within 1-2 weeks, and tell you to come back if you haven't received one by then. I'm waiting for mine actually... been 2 and a half weeks and still not here.
Old 07-10-2010, 09:32 PM   #10
I STILL don't get it

My paper license seems to have expired exactly one week ago...I suppose I should just play it safe and spend the extra time in transit. We'll see.

By the way, sho, you wouldn't happen to be an officer would you? haha
Old 07-10-2010, 09:53 PM   #11

Yes, I am. I am also human and forget my wallet at home/work sometimes. It doesn't help that I use a different wallet for work as I do for day-to-day. But, if I were to drive in such a way that got me pulled over, I would pay any tickets deserved/earned by the way I was driving.

....and for those who are sitting there thinking that police never ticket police, you're wrong.
Old 07-10-2010, 10:14 PM   #12
I STILL don't get it

Very nice answer, haha.
Thank you guys for all the replies!
Old 07-11-2010, 04:14 AM   #13
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Why not call the precinct and ask them?

I've lost my license before when my wallet had been stolen, and I used to just explain to the officers that well, it was stolen and reported. When monday rolls around, get another temporary one (yellow) while you wait for them to mail your new one. That should suffice.

Last edited by skidmark; 07-11-2010 at 04:54 PM.
BallPeenHammer2 is offline   Reply With Quote