REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 07-10-2010, 09:23 PM   #1
RS controls my life!

H-Mart Korean Supermarket Marketing Practices

Calling on the help from RS fellow members here... For those that have shopped at H-mart, even better!

Story:
So there's this Korean supermarket located in Coquitlam and Downtown that's selling Asian groceries. It's a relatively good I can say, but their practices IMO are pretty unethical. Up until 3 weeks ago, they removed ALL their flyer prices, no percentage discounts, no actual prices.

Obviously, this is just to entice customers' to go into the actual store, and possibly waging on the fact that they will HAVE to buy something if they went all the way, say from Richmond or something, so customers feel that they didn't waste their time there. Up till this date, NO SUPERMARKETS DO THIS. Hell, not even in the US where H-Mart is a prominent supermarket all over, whereas in Canada there's only like 3, i think. 2 or 3 here and 1 in Ontario or something.

Anyways, I complained on the customer opinion poll, and the GM says the reason they do this is because other supermarkets and wholesalers will get MAD at them, because they will be selling at a REALLY LOW PRICe, and therefore, they don't put it. I'm like, wtf? You're actually wasting customer's time by doing what they do, and in the long run, customers will just get annoyed.

Long story short, I think this is really unethical practice for such a big market, and would like your help, if you could just write a short message in the following link:

http://www.hanahreum.ca/board/mboard...tomer_coment_e

complaining about their practices, and that they will change soon, and we will be looking into going to the Better Business Bureau. Hopefully, this will get them to change their practices asap.

Thanks a lot for your help!

For reference, these are there flyer prices:
http://www.hanahreum.ca/board/flyer_e.asp

Coles Notes:
- H-mart has unethical practices where they do not put up any prices for their sale in their flyer up until 3 weeks ago
- Manager says it's because they have the LOWEST price in all supermarkets and other wholesalers will get MAD at them if they put them there
- Need RS HELP to write COMPLAINTS to the the following link stating their practices are POOR and you will NO LONGER SHOP THERE until they put the practices there-- basically boycotting them

http://www.hanahreum.ca/board/mboard...tomer_coment_e

- hint the practice of taking them to Better Business Bureau
- Thank you, and let's enjoy the show
Advertisement
ASG111 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-10-2010, 09:39 PM   #2
Banned (ABWS)

I like penis.
fishing666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 09:43 PM   #3
RS controls my life!

get the fuck out if you don't have anything productive to say. troll
This post FAILED by:
Old 07-10-2010, 09:53 PM   #4
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,543 Times in 840 Posts
Sometimes on amazon or whatever, the prices aren't visible until you add the item into your shopping cart, because its "too low to display to public"

maybe it is related?
Qmx323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 09:57 PM   #5
HELP ME PLS!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASG111 View Post
Up until 3 weeks ago, they removed ALL their flyer prices, no percentage discounts, no actual prices.
[/b]
explain further please
Last edited by sexyaccord on 69-69-6969 at 69:69 PM
sexyaccord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 09:59 PM   #6
I am Hook'd on RS

To be honest, I hate stores like that as well... totally no ethics in their practices whatsoever, yet they somehow think they can continue doing business like this. Someone should actually take them to BBB lol.

I have submitted the complaint, hope it helps!
jeanne_17 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-10-2010, 10:00 PM   #7
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
No seriously....I think I really enjoy penis. I think about it all the time.
fishing666 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 07-10-2010, 10:02 PM   #8
I am Hook'd on RS

fishing666- i don't think you even read ASG's post. he's did not say anything about high prices, he was saying their practices of not putting prices on the flyers are unethical. How does that relate to him being cheap? How did you get to the conclusion that he can't afford food? Maybe next time, you should just actually read carefully of what about people write instead of just stuffing your own inflammatory comments to whatever people write just to get a maximum amount of fails on RS.
jeanne_17 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-10-2010, 10:09 PM   #9
Ye olde moderator

Thanked 1,278 Times in 390 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeanne_17 View Post
fishing666- i don't think you even read ASG's post. he's did not say anything about high prices, he was saying their practices of not putting prices on the flyers are unethical. How does that relate to him being cheap? How did you get to the conclusion that he can't afford food? Maybe next time, you should just actually read carefully of what about people write instead of just stuffing your own inflammatory comments to whatever people write just to get a maximum amount of fails on RS.
Or I could just ban him for 30 days.

Carry On.

Sales and Installer at Certified Auto Sound
Maple Ridge, BC
orgasm_donor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 10:27 PM   #10
RS controls my life!

^ Wow, that brightened up my upcoming 30 days, thanks OD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sexyaccord View Post
explain further please
Sexyaccord- they had flyer prices on their flyers, like ACTUAL prices on the flyers for the past couple months since Feb when I started shopping there. It was up until around 3-4 weeks ago, that I guess their Promo Manager decided to take them all off to entice customers to go into the store. There were NO prices at all, just showing what was on sale with a picture, but no prices. Then I complained, and then they put down the percentage drop as can be seen here

http://www.hanahreum.ca/board/up/flyer_e.pdf
But really, those percentage drop don't really matter unless you know the actual price, so really... there's no improvement at all.
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishing666 View Post
Old 07-10-2010, 10:32 PM   #11
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 6,689 Times in 1,624 Posts
Another possible reason for this is maybe that Hanahreum (H-mart) is a north american chain...

Maybe they're letting stores set individual prices?

Sort of related, does anyone know if they still sell 10 green onion stalks for a dollar?

*edit: never mind, saw actual flyer, its for local stores.
NCIX does this too for things like monitors that are 'too low to show' - this is to get customers to come in, for sure. haha
inv4zn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 10:49 PM   #12
JP
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

I haven't been to H-Mart before, but are the prices really lower than other supermarkets? ASG111, I'm guessing you saw something on sale for X% and then you went there, and found that it's still higher price than other supermarkets. Comsumers will usually seek the best price around, and thus if H-Mart is charging more than others, it'll lose customers and will be forced to change their strategy pretty quickly. I'm sure you won't be going back, as well as other disgrunted customers. This strategy is building a bad reputation for them if their prices are actually high. They'll noticed their sales and profits are down before they hear anything from the BBB.
JP is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-10-2010, 10:51 PM   #13
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

the 3rd store is in langley.

are the prices actually very low compared to other stores? I mean if it isn't very low compared to other stores i.e. superstore, wouldn't they be driving themselves out of business?

On the other hand, I don't think people that are far away from the store would be getting the actual flyer. I live in Vancouver, and have never seen a H-Mart flyer in the papers. I think people that live close to a H-Mart would have flyers delivered, unless they look it up online.
keitaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 10:59 PM   #14
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

actually, i have never encountered this before. i am not sure if i read your post correctly.

do they
1. not post up prices in flyers (eg. prices not visible outside the store)?
or
2. not posting up prices in the store as well until u pay?

i think #1 is okay because small corner stores dont widely advertise anyways. H-mart can use the same argument. it just means it's costly for the customer to obtaon price information, thats all.
Posted via RS Mobile
TRDood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 11:20 PM   #15
The Lone Wanderator

Thanked 4,367 Times in 1,137 Posts
They show % drops on the flyers, then when you go into the store, you can see the price that you have to pay.

H-mart isn't that cheap, and if you want a korean supermarket and are in the Burquitlam area, just hop across North Road and head to Hannam-I've found the prices are better and you get basically the same stuff.

If you're always buying Korean stuff (specifically Korean) on a regular basis, you're probably better off at H-mart (Hana Reum) and collecting their points.

And seriously, you're complaining about asian business ethics? Really?

Really?
Graeme S is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-10-2010, 11:27 PM   #16
RS controls my life!

TRDood- yes, it's number 1 to what you said.

Graeme S- I see your point. I've been to Hannam as well, thought I live far away from there. The things I bought in Hannam turned out to be more expensive and the staff there were not helpful at all... barely speaking English, yet seemed unhelpful trying to relocate items for customers.

Yes, I am complaining business ethics for this store specifically because they regard themselves as one of the largest supermarket stores in the NA. That's similar to comparing it to T&T, Superstore and such, yet do you see those kinda stores doing unethical marketing practices such as this one?

Well I don't, and yet I'm trying to make it clear to everyone and this store that such practice is highly unsupported. I mean, look at inv4zn, he was even trying to find "do you still sell green onions for $1 for 10?

inv4zn- they still do. see how inconvenient this is if there was someoen who didn't knew? you would've actually have to go to the store... go to the aisle, and then OH! it's on SALE! now you buy it... seriously??
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishing666 View Post
This post FAILED by:
Old 07-10-2010, 11:31 PM   #17
The Lone Wanderator

Thanked 4,367 Times in 1,137 Posts
The question is whether this is really immoral. I mean, do people really drive downtown from Richmond just to buy two or three things? The amount of gas and time wasted is ridiculous--even moreso if going to lougheed.

I think it's just their choice as far as how to present their pricing--not a necessarily GOOD one, but a choice. Also, how do Korean stores in Korea present their pricing? What if they are just doing what their mainline customers are more familiar with?
Graeme S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 11:33 PM   #18
Banned By Establishment

who cares... you wanna buy something, you go there... if you don't, then buy elsewhere...

it's not like we live in the boonies and don't have supermarkets everywhere... ffs extra foods is right across the street...
Shun Izaki is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-10-2010, 11:43 PM   #19
My bookmarks are Reddit and REVscene, in that order

Thanked 13,465 Times in 1,814 Posts
The manager is right if their prices are lower, it will piss off the big chains.
This could potentially result in more competitive pricing from the big chains, then H-Mart would suffer since they are not the market leader.

However...
That's only on the assumption the manager is right about their pricing.
And I don't think he's right.

I don't find H-Mart Cheap.
Not their produce, meat, nor packaged goods (ketchup, chips, pre-made stuff). At least not on a whole over all if you work out a typical shopping trip. I mostly only window shop for the korean stuff there.

Option 1
If you are going heavy on produce, light on packaged
Go T&T

Option 2
If you are going light on produce, heavy on packaged
Go Superstore or Save On

Option 3
If you are going light on produce but want a bit more quality, light on packaged, and care more for convenient location than value for your dollar
Go Safeway

Option 4
If you are going for limited selection of produce and meat, but want them fresh and high quality
Go Chinatown or Supermarket 88

Option 5
If you are doing Korean exclusive items (Prime Grade Short Ribs, sauces, prepared foods).
Go Korean Supermarket

So yeah, if their prices are lower.
It's unethical-ish.

But if their prices are higher, they are playing the race card and screwing their captive market. I think that's more unethical.
And I think that's what's happening.
This post thanked by:
Old 07-10-2010, 11:56 PM   #20
Banned (ABWS)

why don't you just shop at TnT?

TnT is way better than H-mart.
mqr03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 12:05 AM   #21
Official Texas Ambassador

Thanked 5,671 Times in 1,324 Posts
Diggy beat me to what I was going to post.
To be honest; what does it matter what their strategy is to bring in more business? Competition for supermarkets in this area is fierce and if you don't like their practices you can pull the ultimate dick move and take your business elsewhere.

One complaint received to a company means that at least a hundred people feel the same way. I'm sure you're not the only one pissed about it and after the initial surge of business the location will likely see its numbers drop due to people with similar thoughts.

Its not like they're the only supermarket in town. Hell, its not like they're the only Korean supermarket in town. Just give it time because in the end it'll be business volume, not emails, that'll change what the store puts on their flyers.
El Bastardo is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-11-2010, 12:08 AM   #22
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,341 Times in 557 Posts
ya OP just buy very specialty korean items from H-Mart since u don't have much choice anyway, and take the rest of your business somewhere else

if its a business strategy from HQ i doubt they'll change anyway, they'll only change if their bottom line is hurt and the only way to hurt their bottom line is to simply go somewhere else
PiuYi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 12:24 AM   #23
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Have you checked with any retail marketing expert on this issue of not having prices on product flyers?

There must be some rules and guidelines you can find out in government consumer protection agency and marketing regulation in terms of how a flyer should be designed and presented to consumers.

And this line really caught my eye when the manager say they can't show the price on flyer because they have the lowest price compare to their competition. Okay first of all, if you have the lowest price, you would certainly want your customers to know about it right. I mean if you are competing on volume, H-mart surely will want as many consumers to know the value of their products. Why are they hiding their prices? It doesn't make any sense.
Carl Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 10:00 AM   #24
Circle Stick Square Mod

its a business.. they can do what ,marketing they want to bring in customers.....

just look at Superstores NO GST sunday or whatever.. dont you think some supermarkets get pissed off at them?

91 240sx (Sold)
86 FC3S (Sold)
99 Civic

!Tigger is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-11-2010, 10:12 AM   #25
No Duplicate Accounts Allowed

or like when i get coupons from costco with $$ off but i dont know what the price for it is.
simsimi1004 is offline   Reply With Quote