REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum


Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.


Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Fashion & Shopping

Fashion & Shopping Blackmarkers. A Filtered Selection of Clothing, Footwear and Accessories.
Gotta stay fresh! Latest fashion trends, new clothing lines, mega sales events, and awesome deals..

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-13-2010, 06:37 PM   #1
Banned (ABWS)
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: vancity
Posts: 306
Thanked 74 Times in 22 Posts
Never understood why people buy&sell used clothing!

There seems to be this trend where people will buy used clothing or footwear from others. Usually on online forums classifieds. This isn't to be confused with buying a used cars. Totally apples and oranges in fact. Am I the only one who finds this particularly strange?

Buying used shirts, jeans, hats that people have previously worn on their bodies. Don't know if the person sweated in it or puked on it or who knows what. Are clothes really that expensive that you need to buy second hand from someone else?

Please don't make the argument that people who donate them to charities because thats a whole different ball of wax. I never understood why people don't just go down to Seattle outlets and buy cheap brand name clothing instead.

If anyone who buys used clothes would like to try and convince me otherwise I'm listening. Some of the people trying to sell jeans and shirt with holes, rips, stains. I just found that a bit odd and amusing.
Advertisement
mqr03 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-14-2010, 02:11 AM   #2
RS controls my life!
 
filth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: van
Posts: 757
Thanked 781 Times in 137 Posts
Yes, because everything can be purchased at the Seattle Outlet... Smfh.
__________________
http://filthavenue.tumblr.com/
filth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 09:11 AM   #3
I don't get it
 
tacobell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: vancouver
Posts: 429
Thanked 162 Times in 71 Posts
excuse me princess, would you like some grey poupon?
tacobell is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-14-2010, 09:15 AM   #4
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.
 
Mr.HappySilp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 9,536
Thanked 1,659 Times in 843 Posts
I agree clothes is something that I will never purchase used. Just knowing the clothes I am about to wear is used just not right to me.

I rather buy brand new clothes that's cheaper than to spend the same amount on a used name brand clothes.
Mr.HappySilp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 10:01 AM   #5
SFICC-03*
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: richmond
Posts: 7,049
Thanked 1,525 Times in 606 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mqr03 View Post
There seems to be this trend where people will buy used clothing or footwear from others. Usually on online forums classifieds. This isn't to be confused with buying a used cars. Totally apples and oranges in fact. Am I the only one who finds this particularly strange?

Buying used shirts, jeans, hats that people have previously worn on their bodies. Don't know if the person sweated in it or puked on it or who knows what. Are clothes really that expensive that you need to buy second hand from someone else?

Please don't make the argument that people who donate them to charities because thats a whole different ball of wax. I never understood why people don't just go down to Seattle outlets and buy cheap brand name clothing instead.

If anyone who buys used clothes would like to try and convince me otherwise I'm listening. Some of the people trying to sell jeans and shirt with holes, rips, stains. I just found that a bit odd and amusing.
you know that a lot of the clothing you buy 'new' in stores has been tried on several times, or even taken home, worn out, and returned?

i like my clothes new too, but i can see why people buy used thats in good shape and hardly worn. it sounds like you're someone who is happy buying cheap brand name stuff from outlets, so you wouldnt understand why someone would buy say, something hard to find or rare/discontinued thats been worn once or twice.
continue shopping at the outlets among the sea of vancouver residents who flock there only to come back and find that everyone has the same shirt as you that they got for $9 at the gap outlet.
unit is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-14-2010, 10:05 AM   #6
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum
 
SuperSlowSS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Cayman Islands
Posts: 2,948
Thanked 93 Times in 29 Posts
not everybody is rich as you man
__________________
LClock 1.62b
pinkbaby(aka pinkbuggy): (_\._) :p
SuperSlowSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 10:07 AM   #7
I don't get it
 
butter_sashimi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 402
Thanked 65 Times in 26 Posts
Don't mind shirts (ie: tops) but never pants or anything that covers one's crotch. I got no trust for ppl's hygene there
Posted via RS Mobile
butter_sashimi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 10:20 AM   #8
Da Vinci's real masterpiece: The Mona Diesel
 
Jsunu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Richmond
Posts: 1,797
Thanked 563 Times in 247 Posts
Meh, nothing a good wash would get rid of most of the hygene issues
__________________
My Flickr
Jsunu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 11:45 AM   #9
rebuild you say?
 
Not really racist!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 11,150
Thanked 3,532 Times in 1,172 Posts
Certain articles of clothing are limited edition and discontinued..

for example, limited edition jordans / lebrons / kobes / iversons etc.
or extremely rare articles of clothing you barely can find locally... anymore..

or maybe you can't buy that brand in vancouver..
for example, abercrombie and fitch..

just because people buy used clothing doesn't mean that they have a bad sense of hygiene
also remember... as long as people look good, it doesn't really matter to them
__________________

\\ ______
  \(ಠ益ಠ)
   >  ヽ
   /   へ\
   /  / \\
   レ ノ   ヽ_つ ayyy lmao
  / /
  / /|
 ( (ヽ
 | |、\
 | 丿 \ ⌒)
 | |  ) /
`ノ )  Lノ
Not really racist! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 12:36 PM   #10
I have named my kids VIC and VLS
 
Hondaracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Off-Topic
Posts: 27,731
Thanked 7,281 Times in 2,573 Posts
It's the exact same reason people buy fake shit
Posted via RS Mobile
Hondaracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 12:59 PM   #11
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 818
Thanked 709 Times in 216 Posts
well it's not like you simply buy and wear the shirt right after, assuming you're not buying your clothes from junkies i'm sure Tide Detergent or something will do the job. unless he's scruffy and dirty as fuck, then i would simply reconsider the whole deal.

hypothetically speaking if i'm 5' 7" and some guy is selling 32 x 34, obviously 34 is too long in terms of length. but the jeans are in prestige condition other than wear and tear on the bottom cuff, well i can just bring that to stitch international or something get it hemmed with almost identical color and material.

voila i just saved myself a good chuck of gas money for 2 - 3 weeks. presuming they sell the used jeans for cheaper than msrp.
__________________
I speak the truth, and nothin' but. If I am wrong, well then there is no right.

Rule 1: You do not talk about Fight Club. Rule 2: You do not talk about Fight Club.
v.Rossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 01:12 PM   #12
RS Veteran
 
Conan O'Brien Sex Video's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: .
Posts: 2,047
Thanked 25 Times in 19 Posts
- financial reasons
----- they don't have money and want to wear whatever's in style
----- they have money but are too cheap to buy new, and want to wear whatever's in style
----- save money... for instance last year's jacket is similar to this years but some dude is selling it for $200 less than retail
- clothing is a few seasons old and can't be found in the store anymore
- halloween costume/one time use/stage performance
- unique style not available locally
Conan O'Brien Sex Video is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 01:32 PM   #13
HELP ME PLS!!!
 
Greenstoner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Canada
Posts: 5,647
Thanked 1,816 Times in 450 Posts
OP do you eat out ?

That cup of water waiter just served you contains more bacterials than a used cloth and you are drinking the water into your body.

i've never purcahsed any used cloth before but i wouldnt mind it.
Greenstoner is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-14-2010, 02:14 PM   #14
Banned (BBM)
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 16,146
Thanked 627 Times in 368 Posts
cuz its cheap as fuck!
Mugen EvOlutioN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 02:27 PM   #15
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 818
Thanked 709 Times in 216 Posts
this is one of those double standard topics that comes up every month, in the end it comes down to your personal priorities.

different people, different reasons, different priorities.

this isn't about hygenic reasons at all, wash the product inside out a thousand fucking times with a laundry bag, cold water with like colors. product will not fade, and will be cleaner than a babies ass smelling like fresh laundry.

hundreds of people, junkies natives chinese black white green aliens they all try clothes on at retail stores and don't end up buying. one person will end up buying that product. solution: wash it before you wear it, i mean for christ sakes your fingernails are dirtier than a toilet bowl. food for thought.

/thread
__________________
I speak the truth, and nothin' but. If I am wrong, well then there is no right.

Rule 1: You do not talk about Fight Club. Rule 2: You do not talk about Fight Club.

Last edited by v.Rossi; 07-14-2010 at 02:32 PM.
v.Rossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 02:48 PM   #16
SFICC-03*
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: richmond
Posts: 7,049
Thanked 1,525 Times in 606 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
It's the exact same reason people buy fake shit
Posted via RS Mobile
not really.

if it was the exact same reason people buy fake lv purses, why wouldnt they buy real used lv purses instead? because fake lv purses are 1/10th of the price, and real, used goods are usually not nearly as discounted.

whats really low is people who buy used, fake goods.
unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 03:45 PM   #17
nuggets mod
 
freakshow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: richmond
Posts: 6,702
Thanked 3,045 Times in 840 Posts
They buy it cause it's cheaper.
__________________
I searched for truth, and all I found was You

'00 323i (Sold)
'01 Civic Si (Sold)
'95 240sx (Sold)
'02 LMB M5 (Sold)
'92 4Runner (Sold)
'92 Civic VX (Sold)
'03 SL500 (Sold)
'92 NSX
'99 M3 (Totalled)
'07 A4 2.0T (Sold)
'01 CB M5 (Sold)
'01 540i (Sold)
'11 535ix
freakshow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 05:13 PM   #18
Banned (ABWS)
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: vancity
Posts: 306
Thanked 74 Times in 22 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.HappySilp View Post
I agree clothes is something that I will never purchase used. Just knowing the clothes I am about to wear is used just not right to me.

I rather buy brand new clothes that's cheaper than to spend the same amount on a used name brand clothes.
Exactly!
People saying just wash the clothes are not making a strong argument.
Even semen stains can't be washed off.
I think if people want brand names but can't afford to buy them at retail prices then they should look to buy cheaper brands.
mqr03 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 07-14-2010, 07:18 PM   #19
I bringith the lowerballerith
 
hi-revs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: vancouver
Posts: 1,102
Thanked 183 Times in 101 Posts
I dont LOVE buying used clothes, but i have bought a few used items that are in pristine condition.
Like others have said, when u go to buy a shirt from a store, there are countless amounts of people who've tried it on before you buying it! (dirty people, sweatty people, people with skin problems, people blowing their nose into a sleeve-and dries up etc....)
Plus, clothing is clothing, its not like you'll wear it forever.

Some people, like me, tend to buy items on impulse only knowing that after wearing it 3-5 times that i'll never wear it again.

This is why mankind invented things like soap and washing machines capable of washing with hot water
hi-revs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 09:48 PM   #20
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: n zone
Posts: 2,679
Thanked 1,924 Times in 611 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mqr03 View Post
Exactly!
People saying just wash the clothes are not making a strong argument.
Even semen stains can't be washed off.
I think if people want brand names but can't afford to buy them at retail prices then they should look to buy cheaper brands.
if you're getting semen stains on your clothing...you should tell him to aim better
Sid Vicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 10:12 AM   #21
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 818
Thanked 709 Times in 216 Posts
Semen stains? Sorry... I thought used clothing was hoodies, jeans, shoes.

Buying used Joe Boxers, that is not buying used clothing. That's just straight up fucking raunchy.
__________________
I speak the truth, and nothin' but. If I am wrong, well then there is no right.

Rule 1: You do not talk about Fight Club. Rule 2: You do not talk about Fight Club.
v.Rossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 10:31 AM   #22
Hacked RS to become a mod
 
SkinnyPupp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Sunny Hong Kong
Posts: 42,007
Thanked 17,634 Times in 5,341 Posts
The funny thing about outlets is that most of the time the clothes is different from what they sell in the actual stores. Compare the clothes in the Banana Republic, CK, Ralph Lauren, Tommy Hilfiger, etc stores in the outlet, it's never the same clothes. Some things are, but most aren't.

The first time I went to the "premium" outlet, I couldn't believe how shitty the clothes were. I did buy a bunch of CK underwear though, because that's the same and it's much cheaper there
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 11:00 AM   #23
SFICC-03*
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: richmond
Posts: 7,049
Thanked 1,525 Times in 606 Posts
^thats the only thing those outlets are good for.

all the clothes at the outlets are the shitty leftovers they couldnt sell at the regular retail stores.

however, the oregon premium outlets were actually pretty decent. copped some air penny 2's for just 79 bucks. when they re-launched those here in vancouver, they were sold out instantly. in oregon, there were like 100 pairs lol. and no tax to boot! picked up air max 95s for like 50 bucks as well.
unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 12:46 PM   #24
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!
 
XtC_13aBy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 959
Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Used clothes' prices are usually drastically reduced, some were only worn once or a few times and in almost brand new condition. Another reason to buy used clothing is if the style was a limited edition. I have enough money to buy brand name clothing at their original prices but every so often I buy clothes from craigslist/list4all/buy&sell. It's a smarter way of shopping rather than spending extra money that could have been used for something else more useful.
XtC_13aBy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-15-2010, 05:45 PM   #25
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum
 
wasabisashimi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: surrey
Posts: 2,526
Thanked 149 Times in 90 Posts
Well, obviously no one will buy really old beat up stinky shirts or undergarment. Worn once or twice, like new, open box clothing items are ok depending on the person.

Its like buying a used car. What if the previous owner plays alot of sports or have dogs or kids, don't you think there are alot of pee stains or sweat spots on the seats? Oh , don't get me started on sex in the vehicle.

Not everyone has money to pay for full price or finding a limited edition items in their size.

don't go a sit on public washroom, cuz someone else's sweaty ass cheek has been on it before you.

Yes, Outlet is cheap, but after awhile, I only think shoes (nike,.addidas..etc) are worth buying. Everything else looks so out of style or normal at best





Quote:
Originally Posted by mqr03 View Post
There seems to be this trend where people will buy used clothing or footwear from others. Usually on online forums classifieds. This isn't to be confused with buying a used cars. Totally apples and oranges in fact. Am I the only one who finds this particularly strange?

Buying used shirts, jeans, hats that people have previously worn on their bodies. Don't know if the person sweated in it or puked on it or who knows what. Are clothes really that expensive that you need to buy second hand from someone else?

Please don't make the argument that people who donate them to charities because thats a whole different ball of wax. I never understood why people don't just go down to Seattle outlets and buy cheap brand name clothing instead.

If anyone who buys used clothes would like to try and convince me otherwise I'm listening. Some of the people trying to sell jeans and shirt with holes, rips, stains. I just found that a bit odd and amusing.
__________________
my feedback
Click here to visit my feedback
wasabisashimi is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 01:33 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
Revscene.net cannot be held accountable for the actions of its members nor does the opinions of the members represent that of Revscene.net