REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 07-15-2010, 06:18 PM   #1
In RS I Trust

Thanked 17,582 Times in 4,298 Posts
Aitcare.ca Advice

Well I know everyone can't stand having to pay for that joke called aircare every couple years. I honestly can't stand it as well until it really saved my ass in a way today.

I'm looking for a new vehicle (Toyota 4runner) and found a real nice one today. It's in mint condition inside and out. Took it for a test drive and I'm super happy it has a rear Electric locker which is what a want for going off road and found out I work with his ex g/f's sister. it's a 98 4runner Limited full leather power option's and all that. So I get the VIN number run it at the closest insurance agency and no claims other then it being out of province in 02.

No big deal I will pay BCAA to get the inspection done and he agreed as well. So I get home and remember you can go on http://www.aircare.ca/inspinfo-get-results.php to find out what the km's were at the last time it went through. Low and behold I found out back in Nov it had 260k and now it has only 230k.

Dammit but you know what I'm happy that Aircare has that option and wonder how many people actually know you can go to the website and get it checked for FREE.

Well thank you Aircare and hopefully if you didn't know about this service you do now, it can save your ass like I just saved mine.

Cheers
Advertisement
murd0c is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-15-2010, 06:30 PM   #2
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

And now you report the seller to ICBC for odometer fraud...!
Old 07-15-2010, 06:36 PM   #3
In RS I Trust

how does that work? I was just going to let it be. I'm also wondering how often Aircare screw's up since most the people there seem to be slacking all day long and it's more of a on to the next vehicle if the car pass's

The Truck's speedo has 233k on it and on the Aircare site it's showing 268k.
Old 07-15-2010, 07:23 PM   #4
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts
To be honest, it could be either a mistake (it's happened to me before when the Aircare guy put the incorrect km's into the computer) or the speedo might have been swapped at some point (again, I've done that after swapping out an automatic transmission). It's not necessarily indicative of odometer fraud.
Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 07:35 PM   #5
In RS I Trust

I just find it funny that in 07 it was tested said 234k then back in Nov it was tested and said 260k when the speedo only said 233k. Either way if someones buying a new vehicle they can help gauge the km's.
Old 07-16-2010, 11:29 AM   #6
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 2,112 Times in 264 Posts
pffff, it happens all the time with tailpipe sniffing workers at aircare. Typos galore. Both my truck and my moms accord show a roll back on their site haha. Take it like a grain of salt and if you are happy with the truck, get it.
Posted via RS Mobile
Volvo-brickster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 01:08 PM   #7
Say NO to blade grinders!

Thanked 1,256 Times in 580 Posts
I would take the aircare report with a grain of salt. Just get a proper inspection and an accident history whether it be carfax or carproof.

The odometer readings are totally random! The tech will ask you the mileage and he enters whatever you tell him to. Most people just give out a close approximation.
Expresso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 01:45 PM   #8
Banned (ABWS)

Thanks for the heads up!
choda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 04:19 PM   #9
racing & tech mod.

um.. 260,000km down to 230,000km is hardly worthy of mention. Once a vehicle has over 200,000km on it, it's not worth much anymore; things like out-of-province, or damage decs, or anything like that doesn't make a big difference on actual value. Aircare didn't "save your ass" .. it just brought up a small anomaly.

If the car had 130,000km on the odo but showed 260,000km on aircare.ca, THEN you'd have something to post about.

Last edited by Rich Sandor; 07-16-2010 at 04:25 PM.
Rich Sandor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 08:23 PM   #10
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,814 Times in 2,502 Posts
when i aircared my car last month they didnt even check my mileage, they asked me what it is and i told them and they wrote it down.

nice website though, it's good to know.

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 09:31 PM   #11
The Brown Reason

Thanked 5,863 Times in 1,525 Posts
The people that work at ICBC aren't exactly the brightest crayons in the pack.

I have a USDM gauge cluster swap done (for aesthetic reasons, all white gauges with aluminum trim, looks sick) and in my specific vehicle the mileage is stored on the ECU, and then sent to the cluster. So when I installed my USDM cluster it automatically converted 130,xxx KM to 80XXX miles. My gauges clearly state MPH and all imperial units, yet the guy recorded my mileage as 80,000 KM, effectively taking 2 years worth of driving off my vehicle lol. Not that it's a big deal though, if I were to sell it anyone serious about buying it would realize its 80,000 miles, and not KM.
BrRsn is offline   Reply With Quote