REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Campus Forum

Campus Forum THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
The Student Life
School events, activities, rate your prof, students helping each other..

Old 07-16-2010, 09:51 PM   #1
RS Lurker, I don't post!

chartered accountant

hey!
I was wondering whats the best way to become a ca (chartered accountant) i am currently doing my bba in accounting at kwantlen.
Advertisement
jaypalak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 10:33 PM   #2
MiX iT Up!

Thanked 2,066 Times in 865 Posts
im the same boat as you. literally.

finish off your degree at kwantlen , find a job at a ca firm , start casb , 2.5years later you will have ur CA provide u pass the ufe. ta-da....

Sometimes we tend to be in despair when the person we love leaves us, but the truth is, it's not our loss, but theirs, for they left the only person who couldn't give up on them.

Make the effort and take the risk..

"Do what you feel in your heart to be right- for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't." - Eleanor Roosevelt
tiger_handheld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 05:54 PM   #3
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

attend as many accounting recruitment events as possible.

if you can get hired as a CA student by a firm you will not only be able to gain working experience during your studies but also be surrounded by actual CA's and other CA hopefuls that will be a great help during the process.

Good luck, definitely a difficult program but it will get you where you want to be if accounting is what you see yourself doing.
woooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 09:34 PM   #4
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,941 Times in 765 Posts
becomea.ca is your first place (or used to be when i went through it

if you want a big firm, sadly enough, transfer to ubc/sfu and become an accounting club or CUS (at UBC) nerd, they seem to love them
4444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 06:21 AM   #5
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

so what are some of the things/activities they do in the accounting club at ubc/sfu that makes them valuable to the big firm?
Carl Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 08:46 AM   #6
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

your exposure.
big firms can pick and choose from all accounting students looking to get into the profession.
they would have recruitment fairs for saunder/ business admin sfu students, prob not for the colleges.
woooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 04:31 PM   #7
Banned (ABWS)

Every college and uni have recruitment meetings all year round. Not just UBC SFU
OhSoGood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 10:10 PM   #8
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

hmm what would you say the chances of a financial management student from bcit to become a chartered accountant would be?
UnDeadMage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 11:14 PM   #9
MiX iT Up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnDeadMage View Post
hmm what would you say the chances of a financial management student from bcit to become a chartered accountant would be?
at PwC?

1/55

Sometimes we tend to be in despair when the person we love leaves us, but the truth is, it's not our loss, but theirs, for they left the only person who couldn't give up on them.

"Do what you feel in your heart to be right- for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't." - Eleanor Roosevelt
Old 07-21-2010, 01:31 AM   #10
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger_handheld View Post
at PwC?

1/55
Is BCIT's financial management that bad?
Purely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 07:05 AM   #11
RS controls my life!

fin man is good, just that the big firms will only grab the elite students. So if you are not the top 3 in your fin man grad class, you can forget about it.
Wetordry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 08:29 AM   #12
MiX iT Up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gYU View Post
Is BCIT's financial management that bad?
nope.

55 - the number of students PwC will recruit from the province of British Columbia to start in September 2011.

Old 07-21-2010, 10:06 AM   #13
I am Hook'd on RS

well, my brother works at PwC becoming a CA, as I know, he was never in any accounting clubs while he was at UBC(he got a diploma in UBC and not degree) and got in through going to LOTS of those accounting recruitment events
Salzuberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 09:38 PM   #14
RS controls my life!

Unfortunately, woooo is correct, if you want to get into a Big 4 firm, you'll need to transfer to SFU or UBC and have a pretty decent GPA (> 3.2). The quantity of students large firms hire outside of those 2 universities are very little (3-5 per fall).

I would say joining accounting clubs is overrated, not a single club exec was hired last year at SFU. What's important is your grades, extracurricular stuff, work experience, and demonstrating that you're well rounded.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger_handheld View Post
nope.

55 - the number of students PwC will recruit from the province of British Columbia to start in September 2011.
And that's split between tax and audit full-time, and tax and audit co-op. The grand total is 55. If you're looking for full-time position, then it's about 35-40 spots (70% audit and 30% tax)

Last edited by j3welz; 07-21-2010 at 09:44 PM.
j3welz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 10:32 PM   #15
I am Hook'd on RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by j3welz View Post
Unfortunately, woooo is correct, if you want to get into a Big 4 firm, you'll need to transfer to SFU or UBC and have a pretty decent GPA (> 3.2). The quantity of students large firms hire outside of those 2 universities are very little (3-5 per fall).

I would say joining accounting clubs is overrated, not a single club exec was hired last year at SFU. What's important is your grades, extracurricular stuff, work experience, and demonstrating that you're well rounded.

Agreed, most accounting firms (including smaller ones) look at your GPA first. When recruiting season comes along (in fall semesters), the HR team has two piles (one for .0 GPA and one for >3.0). They want students who can learn fast, have a chance to pass the UFE and become CAs.
glovebox is offline   Reply With Quote