REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Police Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/police-forum_143/)
-   -   Is driving under the speed limit illegal? (https://www.revscene.net/forums/620038-driving-under-speed-limit-illegal.html)

aaaa322 07-18-2010 12:19 AM

Is driving under the speed limit illegal?

So I was lost on the highway and I was going 70 km/h in a 90 km/h zone--I was trying to get back to Vancouver but I was going towards New West--because I didn't want to miss an exit. A nice officer then pulled me over and gave me directions, but he didn't actually fine me or anything. That got me wondering, is it illegal to drive under the speed limit?

CP.AR 07-18-2010 01:18 AM

I don't think so - it's a LIMIT, a CAP on how fast you are legally allowed to go. Although I think driving too slow is actually more dangerous that traveling at the limit when other vehicles are present around you

TypeRNammer 07-18-2010 02:38 AM

Yes, I knew a friend that went under the speed limit in Richmond and got a ticket for that.

sho_bc 07-18-2010 03:17 AM

There is a ticket for driving too slowly. On most highways, there is a requirement that your vehicle be able to travel at a minimum of 60km/hr. Don't drive so slowly as to impede traffic and you should be fine.

slammer111 07-18-2010 03:53 AM

^ And for goodness' sake, if you're doing this on a freeway, KEEP RIGHT!

zulutango 07-18-2010 04:58 AM

Slow driving
145 (1) A person must not drive a motor vehicle at so slow a speed as to impede or block the normal and reasonable movement of traffic, except when reduced speed is necessary for safe operation or in compliance with law.

(2) If the driver of a motor vehicle is driving at so slow a speed as to impede or block the normal and reasonable movement of traffic, a peace officer may require the driver to increase his or her speed, or to remove the motor vehicle from the roadway to the nearest suitable place and to refrain from causing or allowing the motor vehicle to move from that place until directed to do so by a peace officer.

Soundy 07-18-2010 10:02 AM

^There you go. Driving under the speed limit is not illegal *in itself*. Impeding other traffic is.

skidmark 07-18-2010 11:45 AM

The minimum of 60 km/h on level ground applies to Schedule 1 highways (freeways).

sebberry 07-18-2010 05:42 PM

I generally find that it is safest to drive at about 5km/hr under the limit. This way if you need to speed up in an emergency you are still in compliance with the law. This also gives you a bit of a safety buffer in the event you are going down a hill and inadvertently speed up a bit.

Soundy 07-18-2010 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skidmark (Post 7033182)
The minimum of 60 km/h on level ground applies to Schedule 1 highways (freeways).

Does it mean that you MUST maintain minimum 60 (conditions permitting) though, or just that the vehicle must be CAPABLE of it?

skidmark 07-18-2010 08:43 PM

The sign itself says:

vehicles incapable of 60 km/h pedestrians bicycles farm implements animals prohibited

mkchoi0801 07-18-2010 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sebberry (Post 7033485)
I generally find that it is safest to drive at about 5km/hr under the limit. This way if you need to speed up in an emergency you are still in compliance with the law. This also gives you a bit of a safety buffer in the event you are going down a hill and inadvertently speed up a bit.

So are u the retard that drives 75km/h on the highway?

mb_ 07-18-2010 09:32 PM

Just curious since this is under speeding related but in what circumstances will a cop usually let someone go for driving too slow?

Jgresch 07-18-2010 09:36 PM

why did the cop pull you over? did he sense you needed directions lol

wing_woo 07-18-2010 10:03 PM

My uncle got pulled over once for driving too slow. He was lost. The officer pulled him over basically to make sure he was ok and was not in trouble. He helped him out with the directions and then let him go on his way.

sho_bc 07-19-2010 03:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mkchoi0801 (Post 7033737)
So are u the retard that drives 75km/h on the highway?

On the flip side, are you the "retard" that drives 90km/hr+ on the highway? The speed LIMIT, is just that. It is the maximum legally allowed speed. I don't see how someone who decides to abide by the law is considered a "retard".

Culverin 07-19-2010 06:50 AM

While we're on the subject.

I've got a little 50cc scooter.
People have mentioned that anywhere that it says limit is 70km/h or above, I can't use those roads.

Other people have given me conflicting information saying I'm allowed on all roads including the highways and bridges, and as long as I'm traveling my "legal" max of 65 km/h, I'm legally allowed to do that?

Can somebody confirm or point me in the right direction?

Soundy 07-19-2010 07:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soundy (Post 7033621)
Does it mean that you MUST maintain minimum 60 (conditions permitting) though, or just that the vehicle must be CAPABLE of it?

Quote:

Originally Posted by skidmark (Post 7033672)
The sign itself says:

vehicles incapable of 60 km/h pedestrians bicycles farm implements animals prohibited

Yes, but that doesn't answer the question... ;)

Soundy 07-19-2010 07:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wing_woo (Post 7033783)
My uncle got pulled over once for driving too slow. He was lost. The officer pulled him over basically to make sure he was ok and was not in trouble. He helped him out with the directions and then let him go on his way.

And this is important for people to note, who whine about the cops pulling them over "for no reason": there's ALWAYS a reason. It doesn't have to simply be that you're very obviously breaking the law... it could be anything that seems unusual about your driving or your car that gets their attention. As in the case of wing_woo's uncle, they may be pulling you over just to make sure everything's okay.

Of course, if his uncle had rolled down the window and large puff of blue smoke came out...

mkchoi0801 07-19-2010 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sho_bc (Post 7034073)
On the flip side, are you the "retard" that drives 90km/hr+ on the highway? The speed LIMIT, is just that. It is the maximum legally allowed speed. I don't see how someone who decides to abide by the law is considered a "retard".

So are you saying that 99% of Vancouver population is retarded? Just because some airheads decided to set the speed limit so low, that doesn't mean the limit isn't retarded and the people that go under it aren't retarded as well.

MR_BIGGS 07-19-2010 10:33 AM

Has anyone ever gotten a ticket for driving slow in the left lane of a highway?

mkchoi0801 07-19-2010 11:03 AM

No but I've seen a case where a guy got pulled over because there were more than 5 cars trailing him on the first lane or something... this was in the states btw.

MR_BIGGS 07-19-2010 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mkchoi0801 (Post 7034356)
No but I've seen a case where a guy got pulled over because there were more than 5 cars trailing him on the first lane or something... this was in the states btw.

I was going to ask, was it in the States...because they understand the concept of slower traffic stay right. Here different story.

TypeRNammer 07-19-2010 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Culverin (Post 7034117)
While we're on the subject.

I've got a little 50cc scooter.
People have mentioned that anywhere that it says limit is 70km/h or above, I can't use those roads.

Other people have given me conflicting information saying I'm allowed on all roads including the highways and bridges, and as long as I'm traveling my "legal" max of 65 km/h, I'm legally allowed to do that?

Can somebody confirm or point me in the right direction?

Normally a 50cc isn't allowed on the highway.

But on some bridges, you can go on them but you would need to take the first exit.
Posted via RS Mobile

skidmark 07-19-2010 03:31 PM

Dear old ICBC tells you to check with the police for more information about highway restrictions for LSMs:

http://www.icbc.com/registration/reg..._pwr_moped.asp

If it will travel > 60 km/h on level ground I would have to do some research to find out why you wouldn't be able to ride it where you pleased. I wouldn't do it on the freeway myself....