REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Vacations and World Travel

Vacations and World Travel Visiting our beautiful city? Come stay at the Arbutus Vista - Vancouver's Bed & Breakfast.
How was your trip? Which tour packages would you recommend/avoid? Must do's and must eats? Share tips, photos and experiences with other senior RS members who just want to get away..

Old 07-18-2010, 11:13 PM   #1
xxx

Driving to LA

Hey guys,

My friends and I were contemplating a drive down to LA to visit around and also go to a concert. Since I am a complete noob when it comes to driving that far I was hoping to get some advice from you guys. The farthest I've driven was about 500 km from Ottawa to Toronto and we rented a car from hertz. This time, however, we're going over 2000 kms and into the States so I would appreciate some help.

My question is:
For a 3-4 day, 2-3 night stay, we were thinking of renting a car.

Would it be okay to just rent one in vancouver and drive down there or would that be too expensive? I've heard people say you should rent when you're in the states...

It seems my options would be:
1. Rent in Vancouver and drive down there (unlimited mileage package etc..)
2. Bus to Seattle or something, then rent and drive down there.
3. Bus all the way to LA, then rent in LA...

note that the oldest of us is only 22 so iono how that affects rent other than being more expensive (dunno about the states).

I was wondering which option would be best and most inexpensive and if there are better options?

Thanks

EDIT: forgot to mention the trip will be in early september if this makes any difference
Advertisement

Last edited by Oleophobic; 07-20-2010 at 12:54 AM.
Oleophobic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 02:15 AM   #2
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

u DEFINATELY do not want to bus to LA.... it's cheaper even to fly there from bellingham through allegiant air. $60 each way per person.

if you want to go on a road trip, cheapest would probably be have someone drop you off at bellingham then rent a car there and drive down/up if you want to go on a roadtrip. otherwise fly there on allegiant from bellingham
Old 07-19-2010, 08:27 AM   #3
I subscribe to the Revscene NWS thread(s)

If you're 22, you might want to just drive your own car down there. A lot of the rental car agencies charge an extra surcharge for younger drivers. You may want to look into this to find out how much they charge.

Like J mentioned, just fly to LA from Bellingham. Saves you a whole lot of driving unless you want to make a road trip out of it and stop at a bunch of places along the way. You'll probably want to rent a car when you get to LA though, so check into their younger driver policies.
syee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 09:17 AM   #4
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,501 Times in 4,306 Posts
The "Underage Fees" charged by car rental fees are typically $25-$50 per day and can easily add up to be quite the expensive cost.

Dont' forget, not all car rental companies allow you to drive out of state, especially if you rent from Canada. Your best options at this point are:

1. J__'s suggestion but check with car rental company (if you're okay with the underage fee)
2. Fly there from Bellingham
3. Drive your own car

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 12:42 PM   #5
Need my Daily Fix of RS

any ideas of where to rent a car for cheap in LA?
senseazn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 01:28 PM   #6
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

In for this thread, I'll be in LA in October for a week & would like to know my options. Flying definitely sounds like the best option so far.

How I wish I can remain ignorant, why do I know so much?
q0192837465 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 02:22 PM   #7
RS Veteran

^
Take a thorough look at this thread

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
Old 07-19-2010, 05:22 PM   #8
MiX iT Up!

Thanked 2,066 Times in 865 Posts
take the train yo!

Van - Portland , $140 USD R/T - 8hrs-ish
Portland - LAX -- look it up on www.amtrak.com

Sometimes we tend to be in despair when the person we love leaves us, but the truth is, it's not our loss, but theirs, for they left the only person who couldn't give up on them.

Make the effort and take the risk..

"Do what you feel in your heart to be right- for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't." - Eleanor Roosevelt
tiger_handheld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 06:23 PM   #9
RS Veteran

Umm...don't take the train. It was one of the worst travel experiences I ever had going from Vancouver to Los Angeles by means of Amtrak.

Old 07-19-2010, 10:07 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by senseazn View Post
any ideas of where to rent a car for cheap in LA?
www.hotwire.com

ya, train via amtrak is rediculous. Slow, expensive and inefficient. For half the price of a train ticket, you can fly down for a fraction of the time.
Old 07-20-2010, 12:52 AM   #11
xxx

thanks for the advice so far guys
been busy lately but I will take the time to go over your suggestions thoroughly tomorrow.
Just thought I'd ask though, bcrdukes, does the rogers code still work for enterprise?

thanks

edit: sorry I think I forgot to mention I'm going in early September if that makes any difference
Old 07-20-2010, 12:56 AM   #12
RS Veteran

As far as I know, yes, however, I haven't used that code in a while myself.

Old 07-21-2010, 10:20 AM   #13
Banned (ABWS)

LA traffic is a nightmare. Be forewarned!!
mqr03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 05:02 PM   #14
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.T View Post
edit: sorry I think I forgot to mention I'm going in early September if that makes any difference
are u going to LA for SM Town World Tour?
sTi-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 10:14 PM   #15
xxx

^
lol yeah you got it. I also have relatives there so it won't just be for the concert.

btw
Do you guys think taking the bus to Bellingham, then renting a car there (potentially from enterprise) would be worth it in terms of cost?

I don't think there's any way for my friends and I to be dropped off so we'll probably have to take the bus. We want to have a road trip so we're thinking of doing that.
I'll have to test out that coupon code on Enterprise, last time I tried it didn't seem to work =/
Old 07-23-2010, 11:57 AM   #16
xxx

I cannot seem to find any cheap flights from Bellingham to LA during the period of Sept 2 to Sept 6. Not even Allegiant Air. I guess it isn't the right time.

I called enterprise and whether you rent in Vancouver or Bellingham, you can only take the car to neighbouring provinces/states, so no long road trip to LA.
It seems if we really wanted to rent a car to take to LA we'd have to go through National Car Rental or some other place...

just wondering if you guys have any other recommendations? I would love to be able to fly down to LA then rent there but I cannot find any flights from Bellingham to LA during the early september period (3rd to 5th). Only found flights from Vancouver or Seattle and they are $300+...

I guess it just isn't the right time to fly?
Old 07-23-2010, 03:52 PM   #17
RS Veteran

Another option is to drive down to SeaTac Airport, do the Park'n'Fly option (there's a thread - please search) and fly down to LAX with Virgin America. Thing is, the costs may add up so you're better off just flying from Vancouver. It's summer season but when school is back in session, prices will drop.

Old 07-23-2010, 05:56 PM   #18
xxx

just an update actually
I talked to Hertz, and with 2 coupon codes, 1 for 20% off and 1 that waives the underage fee I secured a 4 day rental for $172 after all taxes and charges. There was an addition $24 charge for "premium location" because the location I chose was for YVR (tried other locations and some were closed during my return date, and some were more expensive)
Unlimited mileage no restrictions so I can drive to LA. Well there is one restriction, no Mexico but that's perfectly fine.

Best I can do it seems lol.

Insurance, I'm just gonna buy it from ICBC, $10/day minimum 2 days. Way way better than the $36/day quoted by hertz.

Last edited by Oleophobic; 07-23-2010 at 06:49 PM.
Old 07-24-2010, 12:08 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.T View Post
just an update actually
I talked to Hertz, and with 2 coupon codes, 1 for 20% off and 1 that waives the underage fee I secured a 4 day rental for $172 after all taxes and charges. There was an addition $24 charge for "premium location" because the location I chose was for YVR (tried other locations and some were closed during my return date, and some were more expensive)
Unlimited mileage no restrictions so I can drive to LA. Well there is one restriction, no Mexico but that's perfectly fine.

Best I can do it seems lol.

Insurance, I'm just gonna buy it from ICBC, $10/day minimum 2 days. Way way better than the $36/day quoted by hertz.
i fuking hate hertz, rip off on the small stuff. They charge $25 a day for under 25 as well.
Old 07-24-2010, 10:42 AM   #20
xxx

yeah but i have a coupon code that makes the overall rate cheaper,
plus on their website they are advertising a PC code that waives the underage fee
so all in all my best option so far.
Old 07-25-2010, 08:05 AM   #21
Banned By Establishment

don't forget to get extra insurance coverage for over the border.
racerman88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 08:08 AM   #22
Media Officer / MOD

Thanked 5,751 Times in 1,724 Posts
Wanna pass on the coupon codes? This might be useful
Posted via RS Mobile
!Aznboi128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 01:45 AM   #23
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

How long is the drive down to bellingham from van/surrey?
tubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 02:14 PM   #24
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubby View Post
How long is the drive down to bellingham from van/surrey?
From the border it's about 15minutes or so..... dpends where you live and how long it takes you to get to the border + border wait times + 15 minutes.
411ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 03:50 PM   #25
retired

I've driven down to LA before about 3 years ago, and gas going there and back was over $500. So just factor that in as well, plus driving around socal is quite a bit on gas as well, especially when you get stuck on the freeways.
Truenosan is offline   Reply With Quote