REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 07-20-2010, 06:40 PM   #1
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

ranked 5th highest in parking rates

Still hate the rate, especially when they changed the free parking curfew to 10pm, but we're not that bad compared to other big cities.

Canadian drivers feel pinch of parking lot rate hikes; Calgary most expensive
Mon Jul 19, 12:58 PM
Sunny Freeman, The Canadian Press

* Email Story
* IM Story
* Printable View

By Sunny Freeman, The Canadian Press

TORONTO - Canadian drivers could soon feel more of a pinch from parking lot rates, according to a survey of parking rates around the world.

The survey, commissioned by real estate firm Colliers International, found that Canadian parking rates have climbed a modest two per cent over the past year — with a median monthly rate of $224 and daily rates around $15.

But Colliers expects parking rates to continue to rise, especially toward the second half of 2011.

The real estate company said rates will continue to rise because of limited supply of new parking spaces and increased demand linked to the economic recovery.

As the labour market improves, more and more people will get jobs and need to drive to work, raising demand for parking space in the downtown business core of many cities.

As well, an expected rebound in office tower leasing and lower commercial vacancy rates will also boost demand for parking space, especially in underground parking garages.

“Parking garages are one of the only commercial real estate sub-sectors that seemed to remain stable even during an economic turmoil,” Wayne Duong, director of research with Colliers International in Canada, said in a release Monday.

“As the economic environment continues to improve both in terms of business activity and consumer confidence, Colliers anticipates these will create upwards pressure on monthly and daily parking rates respectively."

Meanwhile, only 10 garages with 1,800 spots are expected to be added in Canada over the next two years, the survey found.

Calgary remains the most expensive Canadian city to park in, with rates hovering around $453 followed by Toronto ($336.25) and Montreal ($280.62). Edmonton ($275), and Vancouver ($266.81) rounded out Canada's top five priciest cities for parking.

Still, Canadian parking fees could be considered a bargain compared with some international cities.

London, England was the most expensive city in the world to park in, with a US$933 monthly price tag. Hong Kong, Tokyo, Zurich and Sydney are also among the top five priciest international cities for parking.

Data for the 2010 Parking Rate Survey was collected in June and includes covered or underground parking lots in prime central business districts.
Advertisement
yameen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 06:43 PM   #2
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

haha ya = = when i moved to toronto i was pretty surprised ... vancouver seems cheap now, altho i don't remember if i felt that way when i was still in van
KuSouL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 06:46 PM   #3
JDMEK9Mod | DogWhisperer

Thanked 5,282 Times in 1,635 Posts
hahaha wtf? why is calgary the most expensive canadian city to park in? someone please explain.
Spoiler!
spoon.ek9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 08:45 PM   #4
The Lone Wanderator

Thanked 4,367 Times in 1,137 Posts
I liked the Vancouver Sun's title better: "Vancouver cheapest of 5 biggest cities".

Why the fuck can't the rest of the media ever spin it in a positive way?
Posted via RS Mobile
Graeme S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 09:26 PM   #5
My homepage has been set to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoon.ek9 View Post
hahaha wtf? why is calgary the most expensive canadian city to park in? someone please explain.
Oil money will do that to a city. Calgary has some extreme ballers incase you didn't know and a lot of major companies stationed there.

+15 is awesome too (google "Calgary Plus 15")
falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 10:34 PM   #6
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,601 Times in 543 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graeme S View Post
I liked the Vancouver Sun's title better: "Vancouver cheapest of 5 biggest cities".

Why the fuck can't the rest of the media ever spin it in a positive way?
Posted via RS Mobile
Exactly, we're the 3rd largest population with the 5th highest parking rates, people just like to bitch and moan
snowball is offline   Reply With Quote