REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 07-21-2010, 05:39 PM   #26
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Federal.

Currently working for the Federal Government for Co-op, though I'm not based in Ottawa. I did go there for my orientation, though, and it was pretty awesome.

What department and position is this for?
Advertisement
neggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 05:39 PM   #27
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Quote:
Originally Posted by misteranswer View Post
Which one is most relevant to what you may think you will do as a career?

Victoria is nice because you can come back on weekends. I had a friend who worked an extra hour each day so every two weeks she got Friday off for a long weekend.
In the perfect world, I am happy to be with the BC gov't for a career. BUT they do not have a bridging mechanism for students. So it's a gamble.

If I work in Victoria, I will just go home every weekend. It's better than paying $600 every month to fly back for long weekends like what I am doing right now.

at the end, I want to score a permanent position, I don't care whether it's Federal or Provincial.
TRDood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 06:06 PM   #28
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 1,357 Times in 508 Posts
then do you want to move to Ottawa permanently? It's not like it's an unlivable city, a few millions would agree with me on that.

It's like if Pixar hires me down in Cali then it's fuck yall Vancouver time. Not like they do but just sayin'.

• 2017 Alfa Romeo Giula Q4
  • 1999 Nissan Stagea 260RS 1 of 748
  • 1998 Nissan Laurel Medallion Club S drift boi
  • 1991 Lexus LS400 mint boi
  • 1989 Nissan S-Cargo cute boi
hk20000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 06:53 AM   #29
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,467 Times in 1,129 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRDood View Post
99% of federal jobs in Ottawa requires both.

Vancouver is only English, Quebec is only French, you get the idea.
I wouldn't say it's 99%. Many of my colleagues in the capital are unilingual and they have relatively decent positions, like EC-5 and PM-6.

It can depend on the department as some more are more "English" than the others.

Quote:
in the perfect world, I am happy to be with the BC gov't for a career. BUT they do not have a bridging mechanism for students. So it's a gamble.

If I work in Victoria, I will just go home every weekend. It's better than paying $600 every month to fly back for long weekends like what I am doing right now.
If you compare relatively similar positions in the federal and provincial government, the federal one pays a few thousand more per year.

Ottawa is a "nice" city to raise a family in, but it's a pretty lame city for a 20-something. At least you are close to Montreal, so I'd be spending my long weekends there.
Tapioca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 07:45 AM   #30
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 4,855 Times in 1,785 Posts
Strictly speaking about location, Ottawa is nowhere near as beautiful as Victoria.
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 08:50 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapioca View Post
I wouldn't say it's 99%. Many of my colleagues in the capital are unilingual and they have relatively decent positions, like EC-5 and PM-6.

It can depend on the department as some more are more "English" than the others.

If you compare relatively similar positions in the federal and provincial government, the federal one pays a few thousand more per year.

Ottawa is a "nice" city to raise a family in, but it's a pretty lame city for a 20-something. At least you are close to Montreal, so I'd be spending my long weekends there.
Maybe I should rephrase my situation a bit more. I am currently working in the Federal government already. It would be

1. Extension in Ottawa for the same position (federal)
2. New position in Victoria (provincial)
Old 07-22-2010, 09:00 AM   #32
Rider

Thanked 2,081 Times in 532 Posts
BC
gdoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 09:04 AM   #33
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,467 Times in 1,129 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRDood View Post
Maybe I should rephrase my situation a bit more. I am currently working in the Federal government already. It would be

1. Extension in Ottawa for the same position (federal)
2. New position in Victoria (provincial)
The people in the thread have mentioned the pros and cons. I think you need to assess what's important to you:

- Long-term career prospects
- Being close to family
- Starting your own family
- Salary
- Lifestyle

If I were in your position, I would choose neither option and instead look for a federal position here in Vancouver. (In fact, this is what I did.)
Tapioca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 10:14 AM   #34

I picked BC.

Since I am working in Ottawa already, I think it would be beneficial for me to see other parts of the government.
Old 07-23-2010, 10:28 AM   #35
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

^ Really a no lose situation, IMO
neggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 10:57 AM   #36
W2K
HELP ME PLS!!!

Pros and cons for each. I was in a reverse situation like you a few years back when I was in coop. Either take an extension with BC gov or new position with fed gov (slightly lower pay, 37.5 hour workweeks compared to BC's 35). Mine were both positions in lower mainland though, chose the feds since I wanted more networks and to see a different side of things.

I'm indeterminate now with the feds. If you were looking into coming back to vancouver to work I would have suggested staying with the feds. With possibilty of bridging for coops, term hires, and internal jostings you can look for BC. I think it might have been easier going that route. My 2 cents.

I probably would have done the same thing if I was in your shoes. Goodluck on your new position!
Posted via RS Mobile
W2K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 11:00 AM   #37
Banned (BBM)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrdukes View Post
Are you seriously going to let Revscene decide your future?
sure sounds like a great idea

lol
Mugen EvOlutioN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 11:34 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2K View Post
Pros and cons for each. I was in a reverse situation like you a few years back when I was in coop. Either take an extension with BC gov or new position with fed gov (slightly lower pay, 37.5 hour workweeks compared to BC's 35). Mine were both positions in lower mainland though, chose the feds since I wanted more networks and to see a different side of things.

I'm indeterminate now with the feds. If you were looking into coming back to vancouver to work I would have suggested staying with the feds. With possibilty of bridging for coops, term hires, and internal jostings you can look for BC. I think it might have been easier going that route. My 2 cents.

I probably would have done the same thing if I was in your shoes. Goodluck on your new position!
Posted via RS Mobile
Yea, it does sound weird to work for only 35 hours a week. Bridging program is what I am looking towards, but there's none available right now, so I might as well go elsewhere and gain more experience.

There are big recruitments in the Fall for economists (my field), so I would imagine that having experiences from 2 places is better than putting my all my eggs in one basket.

I am not letting RS decide my future, I just want to see if people have any experiences to share.
Old 08-09-2010, 09:32 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapioca View Post
If I were in your position, I would choose neither option and instead look for a federal position here in Vancouver. (In fact, this is what I did.)

I'm coming back!