REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   More VPD abuse (https://www.revscene.net/forums/620417-more-vpd-abuse.html)

taylor192 07-22-2010 12:40 PM

More VPD abuse

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/british-col...man-video.html

Coles: woman with a disability walks lazily into path of officers. Officers appear to stop to see what the woman will do, woman continues walking and bumps into 2 of them. Officer pushes woman to the ground.

Honestly, how many of you wouldn't want to do the same? especially in the DTES.

Moreso, if a group of officers are walking my way, I'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt and move aside to let them through. I'm not going to be a dink and try and walk through them then claim my rights were abused.

Yes the officer should not have pushed her, yet they are human, and in the neighbourhood of dealing with the worst of society - cut them some slack.

Rich Sandor 07-22-2010 01:07 PM

There's a lot you CAN'T see in the video.

But I find it annoying that they are walking 3 abreast on a crowded sidewalk..

will068 07-22-2010 01:13 PM

I'm all for police officers physically abusing drug pushers, gang members, rapists, and child molesters. However, this action towards a diminutive mentally challenged female perpetrated by the officers exhibits professional cowardice.

Blue_StreakR 07-22-2010 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by taylor192 (Post 7038888)
http://www.cbc.ca/canada/british-col...man-video.html

Coles: woman with a disability walks lazily into path of officers. Officers appear to stop to see what the woman will do, woman continues walking and bumps into 2 of them. Officer pushes woman to the ground.

Honestly, how many of you wouldn't want to do the same? especially in the DTES.

Moreso, if a group of officers are walking my way, I'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt and move aside to let them through. I'm not going to be a dink and try and walk through them then claim my rights were abused.

Yes the officer should not have pushed her, yet they are human, and in the neighbourhood of dealing with the worst of society - cut them some slack.

How many of us would want to do the same? Physically push over a women who is likely disabled and suffers from some mental health issues?? Are you serious?

I hope not many people would want to do that. You got some serious issues if you think otherwise. ( My honest opinion )

Here is an idea for those police officers. If you are walking down the street side by side by side and notice an older lady who is having problems walking, how about THEY step aside and let her get through.

That move was cowardly.

Mugen EvOlutioN 07-22-2010 01:16 PM

what can i say man.....what can i say
:rolleyes::rolleyes:

LUUUUUUUU 07-22-2010 01:20 PM

cut them some slack? this happens every other week now lol...
http://94.100.120.148/351250001-3513...11_5_XMNj.jpeg

insomniac 07-22-2010 01:22 PM

:facepalm: wtf this is wrong...

Spectre_Cdn 07-22-2010 01:23 PM

It's in the VPD job description - they're getting paid and they know what to expect, why should they be cut some slack? If they can't handle a bump on the street without pushing someone to the ground, they might as well quit. Who knows, if the woman was physically well enough to push back, the officers would've probably tasered her.

SpoonFit 07-22-2010 01:28 PM

lol the enemy strikes again.

Blue_StreakR 07-22-2010 01:29 PM

http://mssociety.ca/en/information/default.htm

This is some info on MS for people that don't know much about it. The lady in the video has MS

MS can cause loss of balance, impaired speech, extreme fatigue, double vision and paralysis.

taylor192 07-22-2010 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spectre_Cdn (Post 7038953)
It's in the VPD job description - they're getting paid and they know what to expect, why should they be cut some slack? If they can't handle a bump on the street without pushing someone to the ground, they might as well quit. Who knows, if the woman was physically well enough to push back, the officers would've probably tasered her.

If officers took this advice we'd have a lot less officers.

Its not a bump on the street, its crack addict central among a group of people who openly and defiantly break the law and disrespect officers.

I love how the CBC commentators say this wouldn't happen in Kits or Kerrisdale. Of course, cause the street wouldn't be full of addicts who constantly abuse officers.

quasi 07-22-2010 01:30 PM

I agree with most in this thread. There was no need to push that lady she obviously had some difficulties. She tried to squeeze between them as they were walking three wide and blocking almost the whole side walk. At the point he pushed her she had already gotten by. I'm not one to bash police but this guy is a dickhead plain and simple.

taylor192 07-22-2010 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blue_StreakR (Post 7038960)
http://mssociety.ca/en/information/default.htm

This is some info on MS for people that don't know much about it. The lady in the video has MS

MS can cause loss of balance, impaired speech, extreme fatigue, double vision and paralysis.

Thanks.

Yet please tell me how an officer in the DTES is supposed to know this woman has MS and isn't just another high junkie stumbling around?

taylor192 07-22-2010 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blue_StreakR (Post 7038932)
How many of us would want to do the same? Physically push over a women who is likely disabled and suffers from some mental health issues?? Are you serious?

I hope not many people would want to do that. You got some serious issues if you think otherwise. ( My honest opinion )

Not many here would walk down Hastings in the DTES either, so your point is moot. If some drug addict stumbled into me, I'd push them away, regardless of age, sex, or size.

If your example was some nice old lady in Kits or Kerrisdale it holds water, yet sine the majority here shudder at the thought of even walking those 3 blocks of Hastings, the comparison is apples and oranges.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blue_StreakR (Post 7038932)
Here is an idea for those police officers. If you are walking down the street side by side by side and notice an older lady who is having problems walking, how about THEY step aside and let her get through.

Watch the entire video of her actions. She walks around 2 people before encountering the officers, then afterwards walks over to a group of people. She knew when to get out of the way, yet didn't cause she's part of the low class DTES that have no respect for the law.

SpoonFit 07-22-2010 01:41 PM

edit taylorswift edit/

Harvey Specter 07-22-2010 02:00 PM

I wonder what the response will be from the VPD, I bet it'll be a long the lines of...the cop was wrong and he's been given "desk duty" for a month. And I think most of the cops walking the beat on Hastings are new cops so I guess the lack of experience might have played a roll in this incident but it's still not an excuse.

Greenstoner 07-22-2010 02:09 PM

dont care,mostly suspended with pay. thats how our system works, not much you can do.

end of discussion

bloodmack 07-22-2010 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by taylor192 (Post 7038972)
Not many here would walk down Hastings in the DTES either, so your point is moot. If some drug addict stumbled into me, I'd push them away, regardless of age, sex, or size.

If your example was some nice old lady in Kits or Kerrisdale it holds water, yet sine the majority here shudder at the thought of even walking those 3 blocks of Hastings, the comparison is apples and oranges.

Watch the entire video of her actions. She walks around 2 people before encountering the officers, then afterwards walks over to a group of people. She knew when to get out of the way, yet didn't cause she's part of the low class DTES that have no respect for the law.

I would of pushed her out of the way, walking down that street you cant just tell who has what especially when its full of fuck ups already. Good for the cop, he was just protecting himself from a potentially dangerous situation. If you walked down a street in the east side full of junkies would you let anyone bump into you and feel safe? I sure the hell wouldn't..

kokanee_vtec 07-22-2010 02:16 PM

Street police is a fucking joke. The only real heros in law enforcement are detectives the ones who actually solve crimes.

Greenstoner 07-22-2010 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kokanee_vtec (Post 7039019)
Street police is a fucking joke. The only real heros in law enforcement are detectives the ones who actually solve crimes.

according to police department, they are solving crime by giving speed ticket..

because they are numbers of people kill innocent on the streets and its a crime against victim's family

IMO, they sort of twisted the ideal of CRIME, but they do have a point lol

Spectre_Cdn 07-22-2010 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by taylor192 (Post 7038962)
If officers took this advice we'd have a lot less officers.

Its not a bump on the street, its crack addict central among a group of people who openly and defiantly break the law and disrespect officers.

I love how the CBC commentators say this wouldn't happen in Kits or Kerrisdale. Of course, cause the street wouldn't be full of addicts who constantly abuse officers.

If the VPD could enforce more discipline among their officers via hiring and retraining, and let go of officers who lack the discipline to withhold pushing someone down for a bump, I would be all for it. That's easier said than done, of course.

And in this case, it is just a bump in the street. Just because the woman bumps an officer in Canada's poorest postal code, with its hundreds of drug addicts (half of whom may be suffering from a mental illness) doesn't make her worthy of a friendly push and shove from Mr. Police Officer. It's not about where the incident happens, it's about how the incident occurred and who was on the receiving end. Just because the incident happened in the DTES does not justify the action.

taylor192 07-22-2010 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spectre_Cdn (Post 7039036)
If the VPD could enforce more discipline among their officers via hiring and retraining, and let go of officers who lack the discipline to withhold pushing someone down for a bump, I would be all for it. That's easier said than done, of course.

Absolutely, and there are other VPD incidents I do not side with the VPD on where the officers should be disciplined.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spectre_Cdn (Post 7039036)
And in this case, it is just a bump in the street. Just because the woman bumps an officer in Canada's poorest postal code, with its hundreds of drug addicts (half of whom may be suffering from a mental illness) doesn't make her worthy of a friendly push and shove from Mr. Police Officer. It's not about where the incident happens, it's about how the incident occurred and who was on the receiving end. Just because the incident happened in the DTES does not justify the action.

I politely disagree. Context matters.

taylor192 07-22-2010 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greenstoner (Post 7039031)
according to police department, they are solving crime by giving speed ticket..

because they are numbers of people kill innocent on the streets and its a crime against victim's family

IMO, they sort of twisted the ideal of CRIME, but they do have a point lol

Glad you see they do have a point. Vehicle accidents kill more people than violent crime. :thumbsup:

taylor192 07-22-2010 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jah Gekko (Post 7038998)
I wonder what the response will be from the VPD, I bet it'll be a long the lines of...the cop was wrong and he's been given "desk duty" for a month. And I think most of the cops walking the beat on Hastings are new cops so I guess the lack of experience might have played a roll in this incident but it's still not an excuse.

Most beat cops are new cops. Traffic duty is usually given to officers with more experience. Weird eh? I would've expected it to be the opposite.

vafanculo 07-22-2010 02:46 PM

I didn't see the video, but here's my opinion on the matter based on the Coles notes...

I'm mixed on this situation, part of me agrees that the cop should have moved out of the way, rather than walking down a crowded hallway (I know... Took place on a street) with their chests out like a bunch of highschool bullies. BUT, a bigger part of me thinks judging the location of all places, it's justified. Cops are just like you and I, except their job means dealing with these types of people and fucked up situation on a daily basis. If he knew the lady had MS, maybe he would have moved out of the way.

What bugs me though is how the media spins everything against the cops. This should have been one of those incidents that should not have been publically broadcasted. Do we really need to hear about every single fart and burp that comes out of the RCMP/VPD? IMO it just adds to the stress an officer has.
Posted via RS Mobile