REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Technical Discussion > Suspension, Brakes , Wheels & Tires Tech

Suspension, Brakes , Wheels & Tires Tech THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Suspension components, brakes, Wheels and Tires. All things related to how your car handles...

Old 07-22-2010, 05:43 PM   #1
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts
Eibach spring too short?

I'm installing a set of Eibach Sportlines (#4.4540) onto Koni Yellows (8041 1322L/RSpor) and have come across the following problem:

It'll "fit" if I compress the shock, but as it is, I can't connect the strut mount without the springs falling out of their seats. Oh, and the spring is only compressed maybe a quarter of an inch in that picture. Not nearly enough to justify that extra slack. It almost seems like the extra cup on the rubber mount/stopper on the bottom of the mount is preventing it from dropping down the correct amount, but from what I've read on V6P, you're fine using the stock mount.

Help!
Advertisement
Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 11:03 PM   #2
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts
So I managed to get it fitting slightly better. I played around with the bumpstop and repositioned it just under the recommended spot. The top hat is now firmly bolted on. However, it feels like the spring isn't really compressed. Is that normal for this set up? I'm used to coilovers, so this is new territory for me.
Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 11:29 PM   #3
racing & tech mod.

Hmm. Honestly it's kinda hard to diagnose properly without seeing the spring perches in detail.

By the way, those *are* coilovers.

There are threaded coilovers with 2.5" or 2.25" springs which sit tight to the strut (most aftermarket or performance susp. packages) and there are OEM style coilovers with very large springs on fixed non-adjustable perches. But they are both coilovers.

On my Porsches, the stock springs on the stock OEM coilover struts are somewhat compressed at full droop, whereas the KW and Bilstein performance suspension package springs actually need helper springs to keep the main springs from falling out of their perches at full droop.
Rich Sandor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 04:42 PM   #4
RS controls my life!

that's fine.
once you put the car on the ground the spring will sit right.
Bath Tussue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 10:58 PM   #5
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 2,420 Times in 669 Posts
I watched my mechanic install my koni yellows + eibach pro kit together, he had me to help him screw on the top nut as he pushed the strut mount downwards onto the springs. (He felt it wasn't necessary to use a spring compressor cuz they were aftermarket springs.)

I never seen that before. you sure those springs are for your car? that spring seat at the bottom of the strut has two levels on the koni yellows, you can try the upper one? Also is that seat facing the right way up? the rubber bumpstop on the shaft and the top nut can be a factor too.......

You will love the Konis once they're in. =)