REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Closed Thread

Old 07-23-2010, 05:12 PM   #1
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

How much gas $$ Van to Banff?

Hey everyone,

I'm thinknig about taking a road trip to Banff/Canadian Rockies area...more specifically the Lake Louise area.

How much gas $$ would I need to get there and back...in a 6 cylinder '98 4runner?

Also, could anyone tell me how the roads are?
I've taken my truck all over...but just wondering if there are any long stretches of str8 down hill, where you would pick up lots of speed or is it more like winding roads?

Thanks in advance to anyone who replies. Appreciate your time.
Advertisement
This post FAILED by:
Old 07-23-2010, 05:14 PM   #2
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

use google earth or google maps...and find a location in banff....get distance between ur house and banff...then calculate distance...then calculate ur avg mpg of ur car...and viola.
"Just because any car nut can tell you every possible performance specification of a Ferrari doesn't mean he can drive. Most of these people live in places where they've never even seen a Ferrari, much less ever owned one themselves."
Old 07-23-2010, 05:27 PM   #3

cool thanks man.

my other concern is over heating brake pads...

from what I've read there is 10 mile distance where there are some steep roads...and I'm unfamiliar w/ downshifting to break w/ engine.

I believe it's the "Kicking Horse" area near the BC/Calgary border that was pointed out.

I've also read to Cocholah (sorry for spelling) is much safer, 4 lane road...
than to stay on the #1
Old 07-23-2010, 05:31 PM   #4
SFICC-03*

Thanked 2,457 Times in 990 Posts
just dont coast down hills in neutral. put it in like 4th and just coast down in 4th or 5th.
when u slow down on an incline, dont ride your brakes. press...... release, press..... release. pump them.
Old 07-23-2010, 05:36 PM   #5
GO FLAMES GO

Thanked 2,210 Times in 701 Posts
probably looking at 200 each way with 4runner
2001 Acura Integra Type-R *SOLD*
Club-Integra.net OG
Your Friendly Neighborhood Firefighter
Old 07-23-2010, 05:40 PM   #6

^^cool thanks for your input. I'm aware of pumpin my brakes and not riding them.
but even doing that on a hill with a huge slope...for awhile..could* overheat the brakes.

I guess I just need to learn how to downshift a bit b4 doing the trip.

So 4th or 5th gear while goin down hill wil slow it down?

I thought you had to shift to a low gear.... all good my older bro or friends can fill me in)
Old 07-23-2010, 06:00 PM   #7
Head of HR....have a seat on that couch

Thanked 15,586 Times in 4,318 Posts
Was just in Calgary last week and the roads are great. The drive to Banff should take you around 7-8 hours, taking the Coq. You're going through the Rockies, the roads go up, down and wind back and forth in some sections. On the sratightaways, you can open it right up if you feel like it - just watch for cops. Some sections are 4 lanes wide, many are 1. Oh, shortly after you cross the Alberta border, the construction slows right down to 50 for about 45 minutes.

I suggest you fill up in Chilliwack, on Vedder Rd. since you'll be out of the GVRD and pay less, the next place to fuel up would be in Salmon Arm, not because you'll be low but because it's the cheapest place before you get into the Calgary area.

These were the fuel prices last week:

Vancouver - $1.179
Chilliwack - $1.059
Salmon Arm - $1.029
Golden - $1.120
Calgary - $0.919

Originally posted by v.b.
can we stop, my pussy hurts...
Originally posted by asian_XL
fliptuner, I am gonna grab ur dick and pee in your face, then rub shit all over my face...:lol
Originally posted by Fei-Ji
haha i can taste the cum in my mouth
Originally posted by FastAnna
when I was 13 I wanted to be a video hoe so bad

RSUV #7
Old 07-23-2010, 06:01 PM   #8

are there any rest places near lake Louise, where you could just sleep in your car?
Old 07-23-2010, 06:02 PM   #9
Banned (BBM)

OP, have you done a brake job recently? Maybe get yourself some slotted rotors with performance pads.
Old 07-23-2010, 06:05 PM   #10

thanks fliptuner! im honestly not trying to do any crazy hikng or anything
just a road trip to that area and those glacier lakes.
even contemplating going solo and finishing off the trip in Calgary where i know a few people.

Can I get shots of the rockies and these lakes just in rest areas & stuff?
I'm guessing I'd have to pay to get into the national park where Lake Louise is.

Not sure if I should keep going to Jasper? Or is Banff & Lake Louise good enough?

Ahhhhhhh just want some sweet shots with my new SLR.

I might even have to sleep in my car haha (if there are even resting spots for this?)
Old 07-23-2010, 06:06 PM   #11

kokanee vtech...thanks for your concern. I had my brakes done within the past 2 years and do limited driving. had an oil change last month and they sad they're still good...
but I do plan on getting all my fluids topped off and then getting brakes examined again.
Old 07-23-2010, 06:08 PM   #12
SFICC-03*

Thanked 2,457 Times in 990 Posts
If you're doing hwy speeds, coasting in 4/5th should be pretty good. You prob don't wanna coast in 2nd or 3rd unless you're going really slow and its a big incline.
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 07-23-2010, 06:13 PM   #13

Tons of places to take pics in the mountains.

I forgot to mention, depending on what time of day you leave (I'm assuming you're leaving during the day), take your shades off well before you go through the snow sheds/tunnels. Some of them are really dark and if you've still got them on, you'll have a hard time seeing in there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by unit View Post
If you're doing hwy speeds, coasting in 4/5th should be pretty good. You prob don't wanna coast in 2nd or 3rd unless you're going really slow and its a big incline.
Posted via RS Mobile
If he takes the Fraser Canyon, instead of the Coq., there's a slow windy part and then it's alright until just East of Golden. Those twisties are soooooo f'in fun.

fliptuner, I am gonna grab ur dick and pee in your face, then rub shit all over my face...:lol

RSUV #7
Old 07-23-2010, 06:14 PM   #14

^^cool thanks I'll remember that. so 2nd & 3rd are for uphill and for more power.

hey flipturner....is the downhill driving intimidating? or is it similar to driving back from Whstler?
Old 07-23-2010, 06:15 PM   #15

thanks again my flip brother
Old 07-23-2010, 06:22 PM   #16

Np.

If you can do the drive to/from Whistler at a decent clip, you'll be fine. The only difference is the duration.

Also, make sure you stay right unless you're passing someone.

RSUV #7
Old 07-23-2010, 06:34 PM   #17
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

Drop by shuswap! They have a beautiful beach there and the women there are all hot
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 07-23-2010, 07:11 PM   #18
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4runner21 View Post
are there any rest places near lake Louise, where you could just sleep in your car?
It's a short drive between Lake Louise and Banff... maybe half an hour? I did the drive to Banff (from Langley) with a few buddies from another car club I'm in and it was pretty easy. If you think you'll be able to make it to Lake Louise, you'll definitely be able to make it the rest of the way. That said, there are a few places off the highway where you can stop for a few hours and sleep. You can also just go up the hill to the resort in LL and nap for a couple hours if need be. My ex used to work there and she said that people did it all the time.
Old 07-23-2010, 07:21 PM   #19
HELP ME PLS!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by unit View Post
Posted via RS Mobile
it's probably a 4 speed auto... so 3rd would be the one to use down hill...

you might have an overdrive on / off button. in which case pushing that (turning off) downshifts for you. if not just move the lever down one more spot..
Old 07-23-2010, 07:28 PM   #20
HELP ME PLS!!!

and google maps says vancouver to banf is 850kms. so probably around $100-125 each way for 4 runner. at 20mpg that's 100L. I bet you'll get 20-25 on the highway.
Closed Thread