REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Vacations and World Travel

Vacations and World Travel Visiting our beautiful city? Come stay at the Arbutus Vista - Vancouver's Bed & Breakfast.
How was your trip? Which tour packages would you recommend/avoid? Must do's and must eats? Share tips, photos and experiences with other senior RS members who just want to get away..

Old 07-25-2010, 06:21 PM   #1
HELP ME PLS!!!

Trip to Banff and Calgary

Hey guys, I am planning a trip to Banff and Calgary for a week near the end of August. I would like your input on where to stay and see during our time there. We are planning to drive .

- Where would be a good place to stay in Banff and Calgary?
- Is 3 days enough in Banff and Lake Louise?
- Which routes would you recommend to take to go and come back home? (preferably scenic)
- Are there any Point of Interests along the way from Van to Calgary? Any notable Wine Cellars to visit in BC or Alberta?

Any other suggestions are welcome. I will add more questions as it appears in my mind.
Advertisement
willystyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 07:24 PM   #2
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,731 Times in 1,322 Posts
The only tip I have is bring lots of money when you hit up Banff because everything is stupid expensive.

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I donīt care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. Thatīs how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
quasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 10:06 AM   #3
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

-are you looking for something fancy or cheap for your stay? budget?
-depends what you'll be doing but 3 days will be enough. Banff is usually just a daytrip for me..
-never cared for the scenic drive but Hwy 1 will take you straight there and back
-not sure if there's any other interesting spots to hit up along the way (I usually don't have enough time).. but I went through Kelowna last time and did some cherry picking on a farm lol and picked up some local ice wine as well!
-if there's kids with you, you could hit up the Enchanted Forest (near Revelstoke I think?)
Machi604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 09:26 AM   #4
HELP ME PLS!!!

I am looking for something as cheap as possible. I don't mind staying in hostels, but even hostels during this time of the year is expensive in that area.

We're just gonna be checking Banff and Lake Louise out, none of us are photographers or hikers, we just want the experience of being there. I am planning to stay overnight, so it would be at least a 2 day trip for us.

Do you know which routes are the scenic routes?
willystyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 12:03 PM   #5
Retired moderator

I just went on a roadtrip with my boyfriend, we drove from Vancouver to Kamloops, stayed with a friend. Then Kamloops to Jasper, to Banff, back to Kamloops then home.

If you pass by Salmon Arm, go to the Barley Station Brewpub right on the highway, I was there for their $16 Prime rib special and OMG it was better than the Keg.

Banff hotels were $200-$300/night in July, if the weather is good most campgrounds would be taken up as well, but it doesn't seem like you guys are the camping types.

I suggest checking out some Japanese cuisine since most of them are pretty authentic. For dining check out this site, it should help: http://www.taximike.com/

Hot springs is a must, other than that Banff is just another resort town, you walk around the strip, take pictures.

I personally liked Jasper a lot better in terms of scenic, it was breathtaking, and we hiked up the Icefields. Once you've seen Jasper National Park, everythign else seems dull. Great if you're into photography.

Here's another site that might help you out: http://www.banff-on-a-budget.com/banff-restaurants.html

girl@revscene.net

girlはラップダンスをしたことがありません
Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 12:15 PM   #6
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Banff is a tourist trap... everything is always expensive lol
For a cheap hotel, I'd say The Driftwood Inn which has everything within walking distance or Arrow Motel but I've never stayed at either so can't give any reviews.. I've always stayed at the RimRock, but it's pricey.

I would say you can't go wrong with either routes.. they are all scenic in their own sense. Option A) Hwy 1... the fastest route, drive along Fraser canyon, Shuswap lake, and Kamloops. Option B) Hwy 3/Hwy 97 (from Hope)... smaller lanes, go through Okanagan valley, Kelowna, but have to get back on Hwy 1 through Revelstoke. Both routes you will end up on Hwy 1 anyways, and go through Golden, Louise, then Banff..

Some suggestions on things to do if you're not hiking... roam the streets of downtown Banff, Banff hot springs, Moraine Lake, sunday brunch at either RimRock or Banff Springs Hotel, and Aurora if you're looking for nightlife. If you want to go shopping, don't.. lol everything is way overpriced.

Hope this helps.
Machi604 is offline   Reply With Quote