REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum


Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.


Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Police Forum

Police Forum Police Head Mod: Skidmark
Questions & info about the Motor Vehicle Act. Mature discussion only.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-28-2010, 02:36 AM   #1
Banned (ABWS)
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Mid-levels, HK
Posts: 913
Thanked 1,336 Times in 198 Posts
Running licenses plates

Hi officers,

Just a quick question, the current primary method of running license plates on the road is done manually by typing onto the onboard computer right? What about in the borders and such, do the border officers run each car that passes by?

I am asking this because my fellow students and I have been working on a project dealing with automatic license plate recognition, where we write an algorithm to allow the program to automatically extract the characters from the license plate from a vehicle from a picture. I am sure you all heard of it and it is getting quite common everywhere as well.

We just want to know how helpful would such a system be in Canada and we would like to hear information from actual officers as well, which will be invaluable to us. Thanks.
Advertisement
Zyzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 02:54 AM   #2
No Duplicate Accounts Allowed
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: vancouver
Posts: 334
Thanked 144 Times in 39 Posts
check out this video
AccordCouped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 08:16 AM   #3
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!
 
Soundy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Abbotstan
Posts: 20,730
Thanked 12,144 Times in 3,366 Posts
Look at the number of cameras taking pictures of your car as it pulls through the border lineup... pretty sure it's safe to say they're using ALPR there. You roll up to the window, they already have you car's full info on their screens.

I work with surveillance systems, I know it IS a hot topic for a big part of the industry, although we don't generally need to capture plates anymore. It used to be really big in fuel services (our main clients), to identify gas'n'dash cars, but since the pre-pay law came in, that hasn't been as big a concern.

The biggest issue with it right now is cost, since it's a fairly new technology, and works best with more expensive cameras (megapixel, etc.).
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzira View Post
Does anyone know how many to a signature?
..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 10:39 AM   #4
Banned (ABWS)
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Mid-levels, HK
Posts: 913
Thanked 1,336 Times in 198 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundy View Post
Look at the number of cameras taking pictures of your car as it pulls through the border lineup... pretty sure it's safe to say they're using ALPR there. You roll up to the window, they already have you car's full info on their screens.

I work with surveillance systems, I know it IS a hot topic for a big part of the industry, although we don't generally need to capture plates anymore. It used to be really big in fuel services (our main clients), to identify gas'n'dash cars, but since the pre-pay law came in, that hasn't been as big a concern.

The biggest issue with it right now is cost, since it's a fairly new technology, and works best with more expensive cameras (megapixel, etc.).
Now that I think about the border cameras, you are probably right. I know that alpr has already been introduced on some police cruisers as well in here and Toronto. But we just want to see how developed this field is, because we know ours still has a long way to go because it is unoptimized (each picture has to be about 1024x768 in dimension and about 2mb each).
Zyzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 11:04 AM   #5
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!
 
Soundy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Abbotstan
Posts: 20,730
Thanked 12,144 Times in 3,366 Posts
Wow, 2MB?! You must be working with uncompressed BMP files or something... I'd think a low-compression JPEG would suffice. Have you looked at using grayscale or single-bit B&W images to cut the filesize down?

I've seen some processing tricks with increasing contrast, converting to grayscale, and alternate softening and sharpening (not necessarily in that order) to enhance plate detail, have you gotten to that point yet?

Standard analog video capture is limited to max of about 720x480, so you'd definitely have to use megapixel or HD cameras to get that image size (the ones we typically use are 1.3MP, 1280x1024). Are you using actual CCTV images for your work, or just shots from a still camera?

Wait until you start working on slow-shutter night images
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzira View Post
Does anyone know how many to a signature?
..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 11:14 AM   #6
Banned (ABWS)
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Mid-levels, HK
Posts: 913
Thanked 1,336 Times in 198 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundy View Post
Wow, 2MB?! You must be working with uncompressed BMP files or something... I'd think a low-compression JPEG would suffice. Have you looked at using grayscale or single-bit B&W images to cut the filesize down?

I've seen some processing tricks with increasing contrast, converting to grayscale, and alternate softening and sharpening (not necessarily in that order) to enhance plate detail, have you gotten to that point yet?

Standard analog video capture is limited to max of about 720x480, so you'd definitely have to use megapixel or HD cameras to get that image size (the ones we typically use are 1.3MP, 1280x1024). Are you using actual CCTV images for your work, or just shots from a still camera?

Wait until you start working on slow-shutter night images
Lol i know 2 mb is really a joke right now. We had been testing these with dslrs lol. Right now we are moving onto more efficent means of image capturing. Those definately works though, because we have to convert them to grayscale to B&W and then to binary images before we crop the license plate out anyways (though edge detection and pattern recognition). Thanks for the suggestions. We will look into the resolutions you posted. Are those the industry standard for traffic/vehicles monitoring?
Zyzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 11:31 AM   #7
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!
 
Soundy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Abbotstan
Posts: 20,730
Thanked 12,144 Times in 3,366 Posts
Nope, those are just the laws of physics: NTSC video is 525 vertical lines of resolution; when all is said and done, 99% of the analog capture devices out there don't do more than 480 vertical pixels. I've seen maximum horizontal resolutions of 640, 704, 720 and 740, depending on the exact capture hardware used.

There are "megapixel" cameras that claim "720p" output (which is generally 1280x720, and not quite one megapixel); 1280x960 up to 1280x1024 are most common for the bottom end of the megapixel range. These cameras almost universally use IP interfaces, ie. they're network cameras, since analog video doesn't support those resolutions.

There's also a new emerging standard being developed, called HDcctv, that sends uncompressed 720p and 1080p video over a single coax line using SDI, but so far I haven't seen any of those devices on the market, just a lot of hype and smoke from the developers and proponents.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzira View Post
Does anyone know how many to a signature?
..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 08:43 PM   #8
Retired Traffic Cop
 
skidmark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Nanoose Bay, BC
Posts: 9,023
Thanked 115 Times in 66 Posts
Sgt. Rick needs to wear his seatbelt!

Yes, this is the ALPR system currently in use here in BC.
__________________
Have you ever met anyone that would admit to being less than a better than average driver ??

Learn more at DriveSmartBC
skidmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 10:52 AM   #9
I don't get it
 
tacobell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: vancouver
Posts: 429
Thanked 162 Times in 71 Posts
only a small fraction of police cruisers are equipped with this.
tacobell is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 02:24 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
Revscene.net cannot be held accountable for the actions of its members nor does the opinions of the members represent that of Revscene.net