REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Police Forum

Police Forum Police Head Mod: Skidmark
Questions & info about the Motor Vehicle Act. Mature discussion only.

Old 08-07-2010, 10:36 AM   #1
Retired Traffic Cop

DriveSmartBC - Cyclists Must Yield Too!

Here's an new angle on a continual problem, that of other road users failing to yield to emergency vehicles. Most of the time this question is asked about cars and trucks, but this fire department official asks the question about a different subset of traffic, cyclists:

Our trucks were recently responding code three to a call when we came upon a group of approximately fifteen cyclists. Traffic was very heavy due to the holiday weekend and, despite lights flashing and sirens wailing, the cyclists did not stop. Consequently, motorists were prevented from pulling over as the cyclists were in the way. Must cyclists abide by the same road rules as motorists when it comes to being approached by emergency vehicles?

A person operating a cycle on the highway has the same rights and duties as the driver of a motor vehicle. This means that when approached by an emergency vehicle displaying a flashing red light and sounding a siren, they must move to the nearest edge of the roadway clear of an intersection, and stop until the emergency vehicle has passed by.

Despite the fact that a cyclist is not licensed, they may still be issued a traffic ticket for violations of the rules. The fines are the same as those applied to a motor vehicle driver but cyclists are not assessed penalty points by ICBC.

Reference Links
Advertisement

Learn more at DriveSmartBC
skidmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 12:45 PM   #2
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Y'know, they went over the whole debate about licensing CYCLISTS on the radio the other day... but to me, they should more worried about licensing the CYCLES. Put a freakin' plate on'em, so when someone does something stupid, we have some way to identify them when we call the cops.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 03:51 PM   #3
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

yehh.. had an incident with one where he just ran the stop sign didn't even slow down and acted like he was right.
Gee.Tee.Ar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 04:23 PM   #4
HELP ME PLS!!!

someone should bring a firetruck to the critical mass ride
johny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 09:15 PM   #5

one time i ran into a cyclist that was going 30-40 kph in an HOV lane on the 99 highway.... i honked at him and he gave me the finger lol. i hate cyclists that think they're cars yet don't keep the rules that the cars normally do.
mkchoi0801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 12:25 AM   #6
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

I don't swerve to avoid cyclists that break the law anymore... if they are stupid enough to put themselves in harms way, it's their funeral not mine.
Old 08-08-2010, 01:53 AM   #7

except for the fact that you'll be held responsible most of the times...
mkchoi0801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 04:14 AM   #8
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

I hate cyclists. They're a bunch of retards with delusions of entitlement.

If a cyclist is reading this, then please remember: You don't own the road any more than drivers. Stop hogging the entire lane, while going as slow as you can possibly go in busy traffic.

Don't run stop signs. It's stupid. If drivers shouldn't, why should you?!

Please don't stick your nose out so much at an intersection, that the car beside can't turn right because you don't give them enough space.

Also. Don't hit my car. Just because my car's sticking into the bike lane bit does not give you the right. I'm merely watching for traffic, and for you, and was obstructed by a parked vehicle.

The next cyclist to hit my car, I will track you down and make sure you'll need to buy another one when i'm done with it.

Critical Mass organizers and participants: Shame on you. All of you. The way you guys block traffic will NOT gain you supportors. Only more hate for riders. You block vital traffic arteries, IMPEDE EMERGENCY VEHICLES, commit acts of vandalism to motorists, and act completely without due care or consideration. Just wait until one day one of your stupid little stunts go wrong, and someone steps up because they were late to their job/interview/important flight/funeral/date/wedding/HOSPITAL.

I saw one last year when they blocked denmen and robson, and had one lady get so upset that she was crying and yelling, saying that she'll miss her flight back to England because of this BS Critical mass. And when I try to talk to one of the riders to get him to maybe get all the riders to give her space, his response was "well too bad, she should've thought of using the bus or riding." I was like "dude. She's from England. Dumbass".

Seriously selfish.

OK. end Rant.
BallPeenHammer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 11:14 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by BallPeenHammer2 View Post
Critical Mass organizers and participants: Shame on you. All of you.

Danny, you rock!
Old 08-08-2010, 12:27 PM   #10

They never seem to understand that if a car and bike gets into a collision.. they would probably be the one getting the injuries
Gee.Tee.Ar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 12:52 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gee.Tee.Ar View Post
They never seem to understand that if a car and bike gets into a collision.. they would probably be the one getting the injuries
Yeah, it's too bad Gregor Robinson didn't eat that bus.. after blowing through a red light. Yet another BC politician who's full of crap...