REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Police Forum

Police Forum Police Head Mod: Skidmark
Questions & info about the Motor Vehicle Act. Mature discussion only.

Old 08-11-2010, 02:42 AM   #1
My bookmarks are Reddit and REVscene, in that order

Thanked 13,465 Times in 1,814 Posts
Retroreflectors

I'm wondering where I can find out information on the legalities of having retro reflective devices/paint on your vehicle (car, sportbike or scooter).

I know some sport bike riders ride with reflective vests.
Some have reflective tape on parts of helmets, bodywork and rims.
Some even go so far as to have bicycle blinking hazards on a night.

Cars have L and N signs.

I have also seen some cars with reflectors on mudguards, or stickers and badges right onto the body work as well.

I'm really looking to maximize my nighttime visibility with some retro reflectors without wearing my baggy construction safety vest.

Much appreciation would be had if you guys could help point me in the right direction!
Advertisement
Old 08-11-2010, 05:52 PM   #2
Retired Traffic Cop

I've always looked at this:

General lighting requirements

4.02 (1) A vehicle on a highway must only be equipped with and use lamps, reflectors or other illuminating devices authorized by this Division or authorized in writing by the director.

and thought that all the other reflective treatments applied to various vehicles out there are made illegal by this unless one has written authorization. If so, it really comes down to the reflectors already on the vehicle and the yellow and white/red reflective tape required for some commercial vehicles.

Learn more at DriveSmartBC
skidmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 06:55 PM   #3
I subscribe to Revscene

I'd be curious to know where the line is drawn as technically even the paint and badging on the car are types of reflectors.

What about logos and signage for business use?

I'm sure some red reflective tape probably wouldn't be a problem on the back of a bike.

Support Road safety through education, not speed enforcement.
sebberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 10:41 PM   #4
racing & tech mod.

The INTENTION behind the section quoted by skidmark, is to prevent vehicles from being equipped with lighting (lights or reflectors) that could blind other drivers, or pose an electrical fire hazard.

I can't find anywhere in the MVAR that actually prohibits you from adding extra reflectors, as long as they are SAE approved (etc etc)

As long as they do not blind other drivers, I cannot see an officer giving you any grief for adding reflective tape to your vehicle. (other than getting laughed at because it's SO TACKY)

Most importantly, we're talking about adding reflectors to a freakin' scooter. Honestly.. no one is going to care, and it's going to help drivers see you sooner, and keep you safe. I'd say go for it.
Rich Sandor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 02:32 PM   #5
RS Peace Officer

Thanked 1,623 Times in 678 Posts
The CVs have lots of added white/clear retro reflective tape on the back & sides and I added some on the back of my saddle bags for more visibility. I can't see where adding reflective tape would be a problem, even for traffic nazis like me & Skidmark.
zulutango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 11:37 PM   #6

Sorry guys, but I'm new at this.
The MVAR document Rich linked, is this supposed to be my reference for BC transportation law?

To me, it seems like all other transportation regulations, overly strict and pretty much telling us to run things stock. Sometimes, we can push the regulations a bit within common sense?

My plan is to increase visibility as much as possible without:
a. looking like a dork
b. distracting other drivers
c. too much extra equipment

I flipped through the link you guys supplied, but can't seem to find anywhere that regulates paint and rider gear?

I'm going to assuming safety vests are ok? Since a lot of motorcycle gear has built in retro-reflecting stripes?

I was thinking of repainting my scooter and helmet white, then add this:
http://www.duplicolor.com/products/niteLites/

And I have not idea whether it's legal or not
Maybe a couple coats on my helmet, but lightly on the body panels.

Any maybe even rim tape.
http://www.tapeworks.com/Customer%20...arniereR1.html
There's no light emitting from me on the sides at all and it's making me just a tad paranoid.
Old 08-15-2010, 11:59 PM   #7
I subscribe to Revscene

You know those trucks where the owner installs mud flaps on the rear wheels that have shiny chrome strips on them? Do they ever get pulled over and told off for blinding the driver behind them?

Support Road safety through education, not speed enforcement.
sebberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 02:29 AM   #8

That true.

I haven't been pulled over yet, I just hope I never get cited with swapping my bulbs or using a slightly louder than stock exhaust.

It would be very difficult for me to bite my tongue.
I'd be tempted to say,
Let make a deal, if we sit here for the next 10 minutes, and if 3 of these passes by, you gotta let me go alright? Cause they are more of a nuisance, and danger to others.
  1. Cars with illegal HIDs
  2. Sportbike or harley louder than my scooter
Old 08-18-2010, 10:48 AM   #9
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 2,165 Times in 594 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zulutango View Post
The CVs have lots of added white/clear retro reflective tape on the back & sides and I added some on the back of my saddle bags for more visibility. I can't see where adding reflective tape would be a problem, even for traffic nazis like me & Skidmark.

thank you, this is very good to know, because I am planning on adding reflective wheel tape just like in the picture below on my wheels as well for extra visibility at night.

I am doing this for 2 safety related reasons, first would be that the rims are black and blend in especially at night so are not easily seen, and the second is because the wheels stick out past the fender slightly so I think it's important for people to realize where the wheel is exactly so it doesn't get sideswiped or something.

i48.photobucket.com/albums/f237/Gdirty5/G%20Cruise%208-15-10/IMG_4360.jpg
Old 08-18-2010, 11:05 AM   #10
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-spec View Post
thank you, this is very good to know, because I am planning on adding reflective wheel tape just like in the picture below on my wheels as well for extra visibility at night.

I am doing this for 2 safety related reasons, ......second is because the wheels stick out past the fender slightly so I think it's important for people to realize where the wheel is exactly so it doesn't get sideswiped or something.

would it not be considered illegal to have your wheels slightly poking past ur fenders?

imho, i know what ur car looks like...and i think it would look better without the reflective tape on the lip...
"Just because any car nut can tell you every possible performance specification of a Ferrari doesn't mean he can drive. Most of these people live in places where they've never even seen a Ferrari, much less ever owned one themselves."
Supafly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 11:21 AM   #11
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 2,165 Times in 594 Posts
^ not if the tires are inside the fender haha, the law is something specific about mud and debris being flung toward the vehicle behind you, so yea tires are inside the fender.

But yea man I'm gonna rock the tape for a bit see how I feel about it. If it grows on me it's staying, but if I even happen to stay neutral in my opinion of it, it's coming right off. I know what you mean though man, gloss black lip really pops so I'm probably not even gonna need the tape.

I'm just gonna have to wash the lips almost everyday, because once it gets dirty it turns matte loses the shine so it's less visible.
Old 08-18-2010, 04:17 PM   #12
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 4,952 Times in 2,164 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-spec View Post

I am doing this for 2 safety related reasons, first would be that the rims are black and blend in especially at night so are not easily seen, and the second is because the wheels stick out past the fender slightly so I think it's important for people to realize where the wheel is exactly so it doesn't get sideswiped or something.

just how far does your wheel stick out if someone can hit it without hitting your car?

Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 05:55 PM   #13

Umm, so, does anybody know anything about the legality of paint?
http://www.duplicolor.com/products/niteLites/
Old 08-22-2010, 04:50 PM   #14

bump?