REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Technical Discussion > Suspension, Brakes , Wheels & Tires Tech

Suspension, Brakes , Wheels & Tires Tech THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Suspension components, brakes, Wheels and Tires. All things related to how your car handles...

Old 08-11-2010, 11:43 AM   #1
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 1,676 Times in 754 Posts
Running different wheels front and back

Hey guys, is it a bad idea mechanically running different wheels front and back? They're pairs of wheels, but I can't find a cheap set of 4 that will clear my BBK for winter.

So one pair that can clear the front BBK in the front, and then another pair that doesn't really have to clear the rear BBK (due to smaller piston size) was what I was thinking.

All 4 will have same size tires, and it's a FWD car.
Advertisement
fml
roastpuff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 11:48 AM   #2

Thanked 2,165 Times in 594 Posts
No, that's called a staggered setup, lot of sports cars come like that from the factory already.
I'm running 10.5 front and 12.5 rear, staggered setup for my RWD

I see on the Honda forums for extra grip and traction since yall are FWD, some guys go with 10 front and 9 rear, yea sure it might throw off the odometer a little bit, but it's no biggie.

but if you lets say go with a 10 front and 9 rear you should definitely put the proper tire sizes on both wheels otherwise it won't look right.
A 10" wide wheel typical fitment is a 285 series tire, for a 9" wide you would do maybe a 245 or 255.
Old 08-11-2010, 12:31 PM   #3

Thanked 1,676 Times in 754 Posts
Haha, I'm not planning on going that wide.

What I have is a 18x8 wheel on the front, with BBK-friendly spokes/fitment, and then more regular 18x7.5 wheels on the rear. All 4 will be wearing 225/40R18 snow tires for winter.
fml
roastpuff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 02:00 AM   #4
Need my Daily Fix of RS

You won't have a problem.

Quick point, you feel the need to run a BBK, however you clearly have NO understanding of wheel dynamics whatsoever....

Which leads me to believe your BBK is more than likely unnecessary for your use of the vehicle.

Do some research, learn about suspension and wheel dynamics.

And 285 on a 10 or 255 on a 9 is ridiculously wide rubber for the wheels....complete overkill unless you're running an R compound track beast.
1991 2JZ Soarer - Parted Out
1990 Silvia - Parted Out
2005 LS430 - Daily
sil_fourty is offline   Reply With Quote