REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Food & Fine Dining

Food & Fine Dining Hungry? Come on down to Wings - Fun, Food and Drinks.
Top Restaurants in town? Got a good recipe to share? Share culinary info or post up photos of your delicious dish. #revsceneVLS

Old 08-12-2010, 10:55 AM   #1
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Help with banquet style chinese dinner in Richmond

deets:
surprise birthday dinner
20-24 people
private room preferred
around $30 a head
nice interior (no crap hole surprise birthday)

i think we're looking at Shiang Garden currently

do we have any chance of bringing our own alcohol as well?
Advertisement

Last edited by Anakin; 08-12-2010 at 01:20 PM.
Anakin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 11:52 AM   #2
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,022 Times in 450 Posts
I like Kirin's private rooms better. But it's just personal preference. Can't comment on the food, since I haven't ate dinner at Shiang garden for a long time.
Spoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 04:44 PM   #3
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 1,764 Times in 906 Posts
I don't know the official policy of BYOB but I always see people brining their own bottles of wine to Chinese Restaraunts. I say just call ahead and ask.

GREG ADAMS!! GREG ADAMS!!"
winson604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 05:29 PM   #4
Hyde's Understudy

$30 a head wont get you much of a decent birthday meal at any upscale chinese restaurant imho especially at Shiang Garden.
BlackZRoadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 05:35 PM   #5
I bringith the lowerballerith

Thanked 1,164 Times in 201 Posts
there's a place across from aberdeen mall, i think it's a restaurant upstairs. i can't exactly remember the name of it or which side of aberdeen it is. but i'll ask my girlfriend for the name+address once she wakes up lol. her cousin's getting married and they're celebrating there so it should probably be a place similar to what you're looking for =P

89' Skyline GTS-T - Big Turbo Widebody
1990 FC RX7 - Tap Walls, Bang Limiters

1998 Integra - RIP
1992 Celica GT -
SOLD
1985 Trans Am Firebird - SOLD
DiiCii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 05:48 PM   #6
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiiCii View Post
there's a place across from aberdeen mall, i think it's a restaurant upstairs. i can't exactly remember the name of it or which side of aberdeen it is. but i'll ask my girlfriend for the name+address once she wakes up lol. her cousin's getting married and they're celebrating there so it should probably be a place similar to what you're looking for =P
red star
jackmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 05:51 PM   #7
I bringith the lowerballerith

Thanked 1,164 Times in 201 Posts
^possibly xD

89' Skyline GTS-T - Big Turbo Widebody
1990 FC RX7 - Tap Walls, Bang Limiters

1998 Integra - RIP
1992 Celica GT -
SOLD
1985 Trans Am Firebird - SOLD
DiiCii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 07:44 PM   #8
I don't get it

with BYOB, you really have to talk to the manager. If you know the manager, they will likely allow you to do this, however they will still charge you a corkage fee of some sort.
tacobell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 09:08 AM   #9
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackZRoadster View Post
$30 a head wont get you much of a decent birthday meal at any upscale chinese restaurant imho especially at Shiang Garden.
this is why we're looking for other options
it doesn't have to be upscale, it just can't look like bamboo grove or wing kee inside
Anakin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 09:13 AM   #10
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

There is this restaurant on west broadway.. (i think it might be called chong qing)... but they have a private room that holds 2-3 large tables...

or Sun Sui wah can probably do it for you too !!!
Old 08-13-2010, 09:20 AM   #11
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 1,584 Times in 633 Posts
red star is inside that mall in T&T it's on the 2nd floor & it's not that great i heard

Shiang Garden is a load of crap cuz i know someone that was invited to dinner there & the only reason was of these free coupons, they were given to my friend's friend cuz he did renovation for them & they fail to get the all the money in time for the payment

if going to Shiang Garden, don't expect to much from them, while Kirin is ok/decent (depending on which one) cuz the richmond Kirin sucks but the one at COQ is pretty good just a little pricey

Sun Su Wah has really good service but pricey as well & there food is not that good (haven't been there in ages)

theres a place in richmond gandville ave. & saint albans rd. i think they can do it for u under good price (for sure if u get a room) but i have had b-days done there before (& before they changed there name/owner)

hope this helps

Quote:
Originally Posted by hk20000 View Post
I went up to a cute chick and asked her if she'd let me take a photo of her for $30 she slapped me, she said to me that "I AIN'T A WHORE!"

But other than that I have seen every car on display in DTP just by cruising about in Richmond, thank you very much for collecting them together and get someone to sing a cover for "fuck you".

OH FUCK YOU OH OH OOOOH~
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neva View Post
wtf man? what the hell kind of women do you go for? spca is for animals not dates...

Last edited by ae101; 08-13-2010 at 09:27 AM.
ae101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 09:28 AM   #12
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

Thanked 1,118 Times in 161 Posts
Usually if I don't know the restaurant manager we order beer from them and bring your own hard liqour they r pretty cool with that. +1 for sunsuiwah
Posted via RS Mobile
Jayboogz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 09:51 AM   #13
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,022 Times in 450 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ae101 View Post
while Kirin is ok/decent (depending on which one) cuz the richmond Kirin sucks but the one at COQ is pretty good just a little pricey
I actually like the richmond location. While the decor for the coquitlam location is newer and more modern. The food is not as good as the richmond location. More importantly, their dinner service is slow as hell every time I've been there. I'm never going back unless there's some drastic changes.
Spoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 09:56 AM   #14

Thanked 1,584 Times in 633 Posts
last time i was a kirin richmond i was disappoint but i have family that live in COQ & there kirin is pretty decent

Quote:
Originally Posted by hk20000 View Post
I went up to a cute chick and asked her if she'd let me take a photo of her for $30 she slapped me, she said to me that "I AIN'T A WHORE!"

But other than that I have seen every car on display in DTP just by cruising about in Richmond, thank you very much for collecting them together and get someone to sing a cover for "fuck you".

OH FUCK YOU OH OH OOOOH~
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neva View Post
wtf man? what the hell kind of women do you go for? spca is for animals not dates...
ae101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 10:23 AM   #15
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 2,345 Times in 973 Posts
it can be done.

i had a 1000 budget to do a dinner for 30 + people. talk to Kirin, tell them to section off a place for you, have a ready set menu for you and then you negotiate free pop and BYOB. FYI, tell them if you want to pay cash etc, tips beforehand and you get a few more perks.

Gotta do it professionally and treat them nice and they'll always have a private waiter (or 2) just to help you with your side.

I had sharkfin soup, fish, chicken, abalone etc.. full out 8 courses and all. good luck.

do NOT do it at Shanghai garden, i don't think they have the space and their menu are sort of limited.
6793026 is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-13-2010, 11:17 AM   #16

Thanked 1,825 Times in 523 Posts
+1 for kirin
hotong is offline   Reply With Quote