REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   #RevsceneVLS General Chat (https://www.revscene.net/forums/revscenevls-general-chat_14/)
-   -   Found: Blackberry (https://www.revscene.net/forums/622288-found-blackberry.html)

SoulCrusher 08-13-2010 09:02 PM

Found: Blackberry

I found a Blackberry at the South Surrey Walmart today. At first I was gonna give the phone to staff at the story but Im sure one of the kids there would just keep it so I brought it home.

I'm hoping the owner calls the cell so I can arrange to give it back to them but the phone is password protected. If someone calls the phone, would I be able to answer it or I would I first need to enter the code? I'd much rather meet the person myself rather than return the phone to Rogers. Any suggestions would help.

!Aznboi128 08-13-2010 09:08 PM

you can accept calls with out unlocking it

MelonBoy 08-13-2010 09:16 PM

you my friend deserve a :thumbsup:

tiger_handheld 08-13-2010 11:51 PM

call Rogers and tell them. They will contact the owner or at least place a comment on the account. u will need access to the phone IMEI#.

bcrdukes 08-14-2010 01:21 AM

If you do meet the owner in person, do this at a dealer. Tell the sales rep that you are meeting the "supposed" owner and when the owner shows up, ensure they show ID to the store rep to ensure the account is correct and that the phone belongs to the rightful owner. This is to protect you and the owner of the phone.

If and when the owner calls the phone (assuming an incoming call block is not enabled) you shoud be able to answer the phone.

van19 08-14-2010 01:22 AM

good job ! :bigthumb:

racerman88 08-14-2010 09:53 AM

good on you

SoulCrusher 08-14-2010 10:45 AM

I hate the idea of going thru someones phone but i do want to return it to the owner. I know whenever i leave the house without my phone, im usually feel lost. Anyways i removed the SIM card and placed it in one of my old phones. That allowed me to by-pass the lock and i was able to find the cell's phone number. So ive called it up and left a voice message for the owner.
Posted via RS Mobile

Sentinel 08-15-2010 08:13 PM

Did the owner call his phone yet?

Jonydakiller 08-15-2010 08:32 PM

seriously, if i lose my cellphone, i wouldn't even check my own voicemail, i don't even know how from a landline or anything like that, best thing for you to do would be put the orginial sim card back on the phone and wait for the call :)

TOS'd 08-15-2010 08:39 PM

Wouldn't putting the sim card in an old phone, and then looking through their contacts list and finding a "Home" or basically anyways. And then phoning them saying you found this phone, can you connect me with the owner.

Jgresch 08-15-2010 08:40 PM

Working at a golf course I've found probably 10-15 cell phones. First thing I do is scroll contacts and look for Mom, Dad, or home, tahts the easier way to trace :)

Tim Budong 08-15-2010 09:34 PM

the phone is password protected..you just gotta wait

Razor Ramon HG 08-15-2010 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TOS'd (Post 7069081)
Wouldn't putting the sim card in an old phone, and then looking through their contacts list and finding a "Home" or basically anyways. And then phoning them saying you found this phone, can you connect me with the owner.

Doesn't it depend on the phone whether or not it saves to the SIM or internal memory?

SoulCrusher 08-15-2010 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sentinel (Post 7069053)
Did the owner call his phone yet?

No the owner has not called the phone since the time I found it. I can see that the person has received a number of blackberry instant messages and text messages. Due the lock feature, I cannot check them.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jonydakiller (Post 7069076)
seriously, if i lose my cellphone, i wouldn't even check my own voicemail, i don't even know how from a landline or anything like that, best thing for you to do would be put the orginial sim card back on the phone and wait for the call :)

I swapped the SIM into my old RAZR to find the cell# associated with the SIM. Once I did that, I called the cell and left the person a few Voicemails assuming the person would check it. After that, I again put the SIM into the blackberry. If you lack in the intellect to figure out how to check your voicemails from a landline, thats no reason to fail me. Im actually going out of my way to help this guy out-- most people would just pocket a $200-300 phone that they find. FYI: call your cell from a landline and hit # once you hearing your greeting. That will prompt you for your password.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TOS'd (Post 7069081)

Thats what I was hoping to do when I swapped the SIM into my razr, unfortunately the person saved all their contacts into the internal harddrive of the phone rather than the SIM so that won't work.

SoulCrusher 08-15-2010 10:04 PM

Im going to swing by a Rogers dealer tomorrow. Since Ive got the cell, cell#, and the SIM serial number-- hopefully they can pull up the persons file and relay a message back to the owner and have him call me.

Shorn 08-18-2010 10:15 PM

so what happened? and good job man not many people like you left..

SoulCrusher 08-20-2010 05:06 PM

UPDATE. We'll the owner reported the phone lost/stolen to Rogers but a few days later got a new SIM with the same phone number. I called the number a few times over the last week and left a few messages. Fortunately he got the messages and called me yesterday. I met with him and returned the phone. In return he gave me a $50 Tim Hortons card.

Phil@rise 08-20-2010 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoulCrusher (Post 7074783)
UPDATE. We'll the owner reported the phone lost/stolen to Rogers but a few days later got a new SIM with the same phone number. I called the number a few times over the last week and left a few messages. Fortunately he got the messages and called me yesterday. I met with him and returned the phone. In return he gave me a $50 Tim Hortons card.

Well that was mighty Canadian of him and good on you :thumbsup:

ruthless 08-20-2010 05:35 PM

aawwww that was sweet of you :heartsmile:

i know a lot of people, including me, would have just kept it...but you did the right thing

i bet it feels good inside

bcrdukes 08-20-2010 10:19 PM

Good to hear this worked out! :)

Not really racist! 08-20-2010 10:21 PM

Now if only there would be more people that would do this..

mhui 09-04-2010 08:42 AM

Good job bro!

Szeto 09-07-2010 12:46 AM

Gj bro, we need more ppl like you!
Posted via RS Mobile

FN-2199 09-07-2010 01:06 AM

Good on you! No reward can amount to these kind gestures. People like you are what makes this world great. :thumbsup: