REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > HealthCare & Wellness

HealthCare & Wellness Breaking the Chains of Addiction. The Last Door Recovery Society
Mature discussion surrounding important health issues and concerns. Alternative therapies, healthcare questions, discussion of community resources, peer support help, group therapy, etc.

Old 08-21-2010, 06:48 PM   #1
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

Where to get braces cheap?

Hey guys, I was just wondering where can I get braces for cheap but also gets the job done well. I don't have any dental or health benefits, so I don't mine paying it in cash if I have to. But also I want to know if there are any dental or health insurance company that can also cover it for me as well. I heard since technology is progressing, it would take only couple of years to get it align and perfectly straight but still not too sure. Thanks for the help guys, appreciated.

Old 08-22-2010, 03:12 PM   #2
RS Veteran

Thanked 1,265 Times in 618 Posts
cheap and braces is something you dont want in the same sentence.. you are gonna be asking for trouble and or risking the health of your teeth if you do. some orthos offer payment plans with no interest. but if you want to pay cash and pay as little as you can.. errr.... good luck.. to both finding a place and in the actual treatment itself.
Spidey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 03:14 PM   #3
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 3,340 Times in 841 Posts
I know a guy, who knows a guy... he works under the Patello bridge. He can sell you some braces for $400 cash. Let me know.
Jgresch is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 08-22-2010, 04:22 PM   #4
My homepage has been set to RS

There's a place in Surrey by the Boston Pizza and Superstore on King George. Can't remember the name but my braces were $2000 cheaper there. And it wasn't shady or anything. All I remember was the orthos name: Dr. C Lun Wang I believe.
Edit: found their link www.braces4you.ca/
Posted via RS Mobile
ajax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 05:03 PM   #5
manage the cap you say????

Thanked 3,613 Times in 1,181 Posts
Your teeth are with you your whole life... until they fall off. I think they're key for first impressions so even if you don't have insurance I advise you look for an option in between cheap and expensive.

My braces cost around 6 grand so I'd say 2 grand or 3 grand should be good.

I wish I knew cheap places but thats just my 2 cents

\\ ______
  \(ಠ益ಠ)
   >  ヽ
   /   へ\
   /  / \\
   レ ノ   ヽ_つ ayyy lmao
  / /
  / /|
 ( (ヽ
 | |、\
 | 丿 \ ⌒)
 | |  ) /
`ノ )  Lノ
Not really racist! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 05:10 PM   #6
RS Veteran

oh ya, and another thing.... there is a difference between a board certified orthodontist, and a dentist that "can" do orthodontic treatment. if all u need are straighter teeth and there isn't anything wrong with your bite, then there probably isn't TOO much harm going to the dentist (which could work around your dental coverage) to get some of it paid for. but if you need your bite fixed.. ie under/over/cross/open bite, i would only see a board certified orthodontist..

if you go to an ortho, i bet he will tell you that a lot of his clients are ones who came to him after their initial "ortho" botched their treatment. do your research.. a lot of consultations are free these days too.
Old 08-22-2010, 05:40 PM   #7
MiX iT Up!

Thanked 2,066 Times in 865 Posts
my dentist knows a dentist who has connections. let me know

Sometimes we tend to be in despair when the person we love leaves us, but the truth is, it's not our loss, but theirs, for they left the only person who couldn't give up on them.

Make the effort and take the risk..

"Do what you feel in your heart to be right- for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't." - Eleanor Roosevelt
tiger_handheld is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 08-22-2010, 06:12 PM   #8
My name is Michael. J. Caboose, and I hate BABIES!

Thanked 1,421 Times in 678 Posts
Look up Pacific Blue Cross for dental coverage. DON'T cheap out on braces, you might as well just not get any.

Quote:
Originally Posted by STATUS105 View Post
IF I FIND YOU
I WILL EAT YOUR RICE!
Inaii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 02:54 PM   #9

Thanks guys for your opinions and suggestions. My regular dentist said it would cost around 5 grand, but I'm mainly looking for teeth straightener as my teeth has shift to the right. I guess it's not cheap, but definitely looking for more alternated deals. Any more help would be great, thanks.
Old 08-23-2010, 03:05 PM   #10
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeoDestinyZ View Post
Thanks guys for your opinions and suggestions. My regular dentist said it would cost around 5 grand, but I'm mainly looking for teeth straightener as my teeth has shift to the right. I guess it's not cheap, but definitely looking for more alternated deals. Any more help would be great, thanks.
If all you're looking at is about $5000 you're not doing too bad in the grand scale of braces for people over the age of 18. I know several people who have had to do it as adults and it's been in the 8 - 10 grand range.
Old 08-23-2010, 03:10 PM   #11
SFICC-03*

Thanked 2,438 Times in 981 Posts
have u considered dental tourism?
worth looking at if the procedure is over 5k

often better doctors than you can find here as well assuming you do proper research.
unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 03:10 PM   #12
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Prices may vary depending on how bad/crooked your teeth are. If it's minor you could be looking anywhere between 4 - 5 grand. I've got invisaligns at the moment, cost 6 grand. I was quoted that it would be $500 more than traintracks so i thought why not. That said, my teeth weren't bad to begin with, I just wanted a perfect smile. But braces or aligners are never cheap.
Posted via RS Mobile
v.Rossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 05:03 PM   #13
Need to Seek Professional Help

I will get my invisaligns in september. The ortho gave my teeth a rating of 5/10.. they weren't that crooked but i didn't have the proper horseshoe shape.. more of a slight hourglass shape. Anyways, Invisaligns were 6.6k, 2 year time frame + a retainer to wear after the process. I also had the option of having a mouth full of metal but given my age (25) i chose not to... although she did say that it would be cheaper AND faster than Invisaligns.
Alpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 06:11 PM   #14
(ノº _ º)ノ彡┻━┻

to get a proper estimate, i believe your ortho needs to make a mould out of your mouth to study it further, but this is $$$ if you plan on shopping around. from what you'v'e said, your teeth don't sound too bad, so i'd definitely get a second opinion. i paid 5-6g's (class 3) and mine were pretted f'd (only crowding of my top teeth).

edit: i started my treatment in my early 20's and it took about 3-4 years total (took my braces off for a couple months and they started to move rapidly, so i wore braces for another year. skip the retainer when your done and ask for a permanent wire. i know too many people who went down the retainer route, only to have their teeth shift back.

Last edited by jnesss; 08-23-2010 at 06:17 PM.
jnesss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 06:18 PM   #15
RS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeoDestinyZ View Post
pics? if youre teeth are moving to one side it sounds like you have a cross bite.. which isn't good. your midling is messed and it will take more than just "straightening". evening with straight teeth, you will have the tom cruise smile.. if you don't know what i mean, google his teth.
Old 08-23-2010, 09:53 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueG2 View Post
pics? if youre teeth are moving to one side it sounds like you have a cross bite.. which isn't good. your midling is messed and it will take more than just "straightening". evening with straight teeth, you will have the tom cruise smile.. if you don't know what i mean, google his teth.
So my teeth have shifted to the right a bit, both my front rabbit teeth aren't exactly in the middle. My mouth has also slightly physically changed, because of that. I also might have the Tom Cruise smile, but his doesn't seem to bad.
Old 08-23-2010, 10:28 PM   #17
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 2,312 Times in 961 Posts
^ yes, from what you have told me I'm sure you or anyone of us here know exactly what you're talking about.

go do a few consultations and go on from there. I got mine done 3 G 15+ yrs ago. Getting them done ain't bad, it's the adjustments and the retainer that really takes time and patience. (eg// u hate wearing retainer = waste of time having braces cause your teeth is getting used to having no braces no more)

it's like lazer eye surgery, get it done right.
6793026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 09:25 AM   #18
RS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6793026 View Post
^ yes, from what you have told me I'm sure you or anyone of us here know exactly what you're talking about.

go do a few consultations and go on from there. I got mine done 3 G 15+ yrs ago. Getting them done ain't bad, it's the adjustments and the retainer that really takes time and patience. (eg// u hate wearing retainer = waste of time having braces cause your teeth is getting used to having no braces no more)

it's like lazer eye surgery, get it done right.
amen.
Old 08-30-2010, 10:09 PM   #19
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

Didn't read all responses, but i think ubc dentist students can do it up at their centre there, fully trained and under supervision, i believe it's like half the cost and depends on what needs to be done.
10051981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 06:27 AM   #20
RS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10051981 View Post
Didn't read all responses, but i think ubc dentist students can do it up at their centre there, fully trained and under supervision, i believe it's like half the cost and depends on what needs to be done.
there is a pretty big wait list i believe
Old 09-03-2010, 08:41 PM   #21
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,785 Times in 3,891 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10051981 View Post
they are starting a new orthodontic specialty program there so it doesnt hurt to give them a call.

http://www.dentistry.ubc.ca/Treatmen...meAPatient.asp

fees are generally 60% of what they charge at an office. But as mentioned there may be a waitlist and it's a big time commitment..but you'll get a very thorough treatment.

Last edited by twitchyzero; 09-03-2010 at 09:06 PM.
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 11:49 PM   #22
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Lisa needs braces.