REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 08-22-2010, 03:07 PM   #1
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 7,109 Times in 1,264 Posts
Call me a NOOB! Local drift days?

Hai gais,

I have an integra type r and i was really hoping to make it out to some drift events...

JK

For real though, I am considering picking up a drift car, or maybe building one up, but I'm having trouble finding info on local drift days here. Trying to find out who puts them on, costs, frequency etc.

I moved here from Alberta (what a hole!) and they had drift days basially every weekend at either castrol or the kart track in edmonton. It was hard there not to find info on drift days cause everyone was such a fanboy hahaha.

Anyway, if someone in the drift community here can chime in that would be awesome. I would really like to get off the roads and onto a race track where I can really beat the shit outta something turbo/rwd.

Jason
Advertisement
jasonturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 04:48 PM   #2
It's like going crazy when you're already nuts

Thanked 2,904 Times in 751 Posts
Just a few that come to mind...

http://www.driftunion.com
http://www.capitaldrift.ca
http://www.evergreendrift.com

PGP (Go-kart track) down in WA also started throwing invite-only drift events recently
Old 08-22-2010, 09:14 PM   #3
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Thanked 2,719 Times in 392 Posts
There is nothing in Vancouver.

Drift Union - Penticton
Capital Drift - Victoria
Evergreen - Monroe, Washington
PGP - Seattle
1982 TE72
1988 5.0
1990 S13 Coupe
2006 Mazda B4000 4x4
1987 Ae86 Coupe
1988 Cressida Wagon
1985 Cressida 7m Swap
1987 Ae86 Hatch
1989 FC
cressydrift is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-22-2010, 09:39 PM   #4

Sadly I found info on all the links provided before I asked this questions, I was really just hoping there was something else I couldnt find.

I'm surprised there isnt more of an interest/support of drifting in the lower mainland, kind of a shame.

Is there just not a big drifting scene out here? Maybe it's more prominent in Alberta cause there is nothing else to do hahahaha.

Thanks RS
Old 08-23-2010, 07:06 AM   #5
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

http://www.cellblockd.org/
http://capitaldrift.ca/
mmmmmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 10:02 AM   #6
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonturbo View Post
Sadly I found info on all the links provided before I asked this questions, I was really just hoping there was something else I couldnt find.

I'm surprised there isnt more of an interest/support of drifting in the lower mainland, kind of a shame.

Is there just not a big drifting scene out here? Maybe it's more prominent in Alberta cause there is nothing else to do hahahaha.

Thanks RS
there is a fair bit of interest in drifting here in the lower mainland, but most people just head down to the states. its cheaper/easier then trying to get anything going here.
id just head down to evergreen drift, or pgp one of these days to check it out, their tracks are awesome.

(btw there is a PGP event on saturday the 28th.)
CanadianJoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 10:24 AM   #7

Lol Yeah I just assume its a PITA to drive a prepped race car accross the border you know lol.

I would love to check out the event on the 28th but I have to go hard park it up at the RS Meet

Thanks for the input, it's really appreciated
Old 08-23-2010, 10:59 AM   #8
Pull Out Towing. Women rescued for free.

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,283 Posts
Quote:
Lol Yeah I just assume its a PITA to drive a prepped race car accross the border you know lol.

I would love to check out the event on the 28th but I have to go hard park it up at the RS Meet

Thanks for the input, it's really appreciated
There is little to no more hassle than driving a normal car across the border. We head down to Packwood Washington to autoX quite a bit and have had very little issues. There is more issues coming back as CSBS guys keep asking for receipts when we bring back our used race wheels.

Oh yeah, there is a drift scene in Vancouver, but no place to legally do it. We only have one decent sized piece of asphalt left to autoX on and we have a 92 db limit, and can only run from 9:30 am to 4:30 pm due to noise complaints from neighbours.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu1413 View Post
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
SumAznGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 12:36 PM   #9
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 7,187 Times in 2,411 Posts
:noob:
2010 Toyota Rav4 Limited V6 - Wifey's Daily Driver
2009 BMW 128i - Daily Driver
2007 Toyota Rav4 Sport V6 - Sold
1999 Mazda Miata - Sold
2003 Mazda Protege5 - Sold
1987 BMW 325is - Sold
1990 Mazda Miata - Sold

100% Buy and Sell Feedback
sonick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 04:20 PM   #10
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 3,782 Times in 1,242 Posts
Ya. not enough land in the lower mainland. Too bad the heritage race track go torn down for housing... Fuckers.
Old 08-23-2010, 06:22 PM   #11
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

Weather - Cellblock D is prettymuch toast, the organizer is trying to focus more on progressing his drifting professionally. PGP was also mentioned, which is invite only (also mentioned), to get in, you gotta be known and a good driver to get into that - start running evergreen drift a lot. Capital Drift, Drift Union and Evergreen drift are the best "local" options. There are also events held occasionally at Saratoga speedway on the island, and at Bremerton Motorsports park in washington.

As for cost wise, Drift Union events and Evergreen events are a tad cheaper due to no ferry costs, even though they are further away. But come to D-Day 12, should be a rad event, lots of us mainlanders going up to shred.
SHIFT_drift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 07:01 PM   #12
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Thanked 2,719 Times in 392 Posts
There has to be some place in Vancouver where something could get set up. It was a long time coming back from the PGP event with the serialnine guys. Think we got to the boarder at 2-3am.

I think there just has to a group of guy's willing to keep up events. The more interest the better. I know nothing about the insurance aspect but I know there would be at least 20 drivers from van-city willing to enter at least.

Other wise just take it to the street, make it a point untill they build something for us!:P

OR

GYMKAHNA in rented parking lots...

1982 TE72
1988 5.0
1990 S13 Coupe
2006 Mazda B4000 4x4
1987 Ae86 Coupe
1988 Cressida Wagon
1985 Cressida 7m Swap
1987 Ae86 Hatch
1989 FC
cressydrift is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-23-2010, 07:34 PM   #13

When I lived in Edmonton I worked for a company that owned a huge parking lot (freshly paved at that!) which was also gated and locked, and it only had flat deck trailers and a garbage can parked there (so there was basically nothing you could damage if you lost it), I cant even remember how many sets of tires I destroyed in there hahaha.

It was priceless cause I rememeber pullin into the yard with the operations manager one time and he was like "jesus... see all the tire marks in here?" and then he went on to tell me how its the careless truck drivers doing it on purpose...

sure, if thats what you want to believe... just dont take my keys away lol.

Well summers coming to an end, so maybe between now and next year I will get inspired to look into whats really required to get something going locally and try to find a decent location, I have no doubts that the perfect place is out there, just gotta find it and cover it in cones.

fingers crossed for 2011 i guess
Old 08-24-2010, 06:08 PM   #14
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

insurance is the name of the game there, and it's not cheap to be had.

then you gotta deal with finding a place, and then noise complaints.

there's a large group of dedicated drifters here, and we've discussed it many times, but its very doubtful anything will happen.

only thing i can think of, is getting a hold of agassiz speedway and getting track time there.
SHIFT_drift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 06:15 AM   #15
RS controls my life!

agassi is lame and super dangerous. just make the 2.5 hour trip to evergreen.

if your looking for track day insurance talk to jones brown insurance. they incure cacc and all of the local auto-x days. when james was still running vds jones brown was charging like 1500 for a single day then you add on what ever the lot owners want for it and you have what it would cost for a track day.

but to put it simply if you want to learn the hands down best place is bremerton in wa. there is an event on the 5th. no walls and there are teachers to get you started. once you've got that down start going to evergreen open drift events or suck up the ferry costs and head over to western or make the long ass drive to penticton. there is plenty of track time out there you just have to make some sacrifices to take advantage of it.

i can't get over the fuckin ferry costs. it's why i never go to the island events. fuckin truck and trailer costs me 180 each way!!! and that with one person add 15 bucks for each passenger. its on;y 80 bucks in gas to do the round trip to evergreen. plus i find the events run smoother down south and it pretty scetchy that western alows tandem with cars that don't have door bars.

parking lots make everyone look like fucking pros. add in some walls, 100km/h + entry's banked corners clipping points and tandem and suddenly it's easy to separate the men from the boys, or the posers from the drifters.

here's a couple clips from evegreen grassroots round 2. i'm in the grey s14.5. if you really want more info or are just trying to get into the scene and want to come down with us for an event you can find my crew at midnighters.ca

Last edited by jackal; 08-25-2010 at 06:24 AM.
jackal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 06:40 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackal View Post

parking lots make everyone look like fucking pros.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S9OuS3fFXng
LOL, that's funny cause I've seen so many people that can't even control a car in an empty parking lot hahaha.

Lots of good info, I can't believe thats what the fery costs are, I have still never made the trip over to the island yet, I had no idea it was that terrible price wise.

Nice vid btw
Old 08-25-2010, 06:57 AM   #17
RS controls my life!

well one car and one person is like 65 bucks but they charge 5 bucks for every foot longer then 20 ft. so my f150 is like 20 ft then add a 24ft trailer....
jackal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 07:42 AM   #18

Quote:
Well summers coming to an end, so maybe between now and next year I will get inspired to look into whats really required to get something going locally and try to find a decent location, I have no doubts that the perfect place is out there, just gotta find it and cover it in cones.

fingers crossed for 2011 i guess
Trust me when I say you are not the only who is on the look out for local venues but that is how it is.
First for foremost, people don't care about the small chump change they will make renting out the lot to motorsport events. For whatever piece of land they have, if it is a decent size, that piece of land is worth millions.

BCDC paid over $1M just to pave their tiny lot back in 2006/07.

Then there is the noise issue. Tire squealling and constant fart can sounds is not something people want to listen to on their sundays.

Then there is the stigma of street racing kids. And once people find out about a decent sized lot, people will come at night to try to drive/goof off on this piece of land.

And then there is the "Not in My Back Yard" people.

Since you've only been here for a short period of time, there is a lot about this town you don't know about. Vancouver truely is the "no fun" city.
Quote:
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
Old 08-25-2010, 08:03 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumAznGuy View Post
Trust me when I say you are not the only who is on the look out for local venues but that is how it is.
First for foremost, people don't care about the small chump change they will make renting out the lot to motorsport events. For whatever piece of land they have, if it is a decent size, that piece of land is worth millions.

BCDC paid over $1M just to pave their tiny lot back in 2006/07.

Then there is the noise issue. Tire squealling and constant fart can sounds is not something people want to listen to on their sundays.

Then there is the stigma of street racing kids. And once people find out about a decent sized lot, people will come at night to try to drive/goof off on this piece of land.

And then there is the "Not in My Back Yard" people.

Since you've only been here for a short period of time, there is a lot about this town you don't know about. Vancouver truely is the "no fun" city.
I would say the complications involved with securing a venue are fairly obvious, I am willing to bet that 90% of the parking lot cone job courses whether its for drift or time attack get shut down sooner than later due to noise complaints, liability issues, etc.
Old 08-25-2010, 08:36 AM   #20

Quote:
I would say the complications involved with securing a venue are fairly obvious, I am willing to bet that 90% of the parking lot cone job courses whether its for drift or time attack get shut down sooner than later due to noise complaints, liability issues, etc.
those are obvious, but then there is the fact that there just isn't any decent sized lots that people are willing to rent out on sundays. Every now and then they hold events in the Lansdown parking lot in Ditchmond and the parking lot at one of the Surrey skytrain stations. But these lots are small and have curbs or lamp post.

The Justice institute is working on a bigger training facility lot but nothing has been approved yet. Silvercity Richmond has a decent sized lot but is usually full of cars on sundays.

There is a few decent sized lots around, but no one is willing to rent it out.
Quote:

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
Old 08-25-2010, 09:58 PM   #21
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 3,782 Times in 1,242 Posts
Porsche guys have rented the area where the police train (I believe what sumaznguy was referring to when he mentioned the justice institute), I have been there and the road in is pretty rough. My friend made it in in his Boxter, but you need to be mindful. And the lot itself isn't beautiful, really dusty and lots of random ups and downs. Albeit, that is probably one of the better places in the tri city sort of area as you would not have to worry about noise complaints...

If you guys wanna find a good spot, get on google earth and start calling people. Although i don't drift, nor own a car at the moment (4runner ftw) I would absolutely love to see this pushed through and wouldn't mind volunteering at the event.