REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 08-23-2010, 08:02 PM   #1
Witness protection

Thanked 5,343 Times in 2,222 Posts
granville toyota

i'm looking for a new (used) vehicle that granville toyota has in stock. i've never been there before and i was wondering if there are any RS members can recommend a salesperson who works there before i head over there?

thanks in advance...
Advertisement
"The guy in the CR-V meanwhile, he'll give you a haughty glare. He's responsibly trying to lessen his impact, but there you go lumbering past him with your loud V8, flouting the new reality. You may as well go do some donuts in a strawberry patch and slalom through a litter of kittens." Dan Frio, Automotive Editor, Edmunds
thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 10:10 PM   #2
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,941 Times in 765 Posts
why don't you look in teh classifieds here if you want used

dealers sell used cars... but tey lie about their past, i would NEVER buy a used car from a dealer (my friends have followed up on cars they traded in... lies, all lies)
4444 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 08-23-2010, 11:35 PM   #3
No Duplicate Accounts Allowed

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4444 View Post

dealers sell used cars... but tey lie about their past, i would NEVER buy a used car from a dealer (my friends have followed up on cars they traded in... lies, all lies)
Thats why you always carfax before purchasing

Last edited by AccordCouped; 08-23-2010 at 11:51 PM.
AccordCouped is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 08-24-2010, 07:13 AM   #4
Old School RS

Thanked 3,949 Times in 1,203 Posts
Quote:
That is the biggest bullshit generalization. Just like ANY profession, there are good guys and bad guys in the car business, but quite frankly the general public rewards the bad guys for the most part. Way too many people hyper obsess over the exact last dollar they pay and dont spend nearly enough time buying a good CAR. You wont remember paying $500 or $1000 more down the road but you will remember your car having an accident, being mechanically sketchy, or just generally not being well taken care of.

The "good guys" in the business get shafted by the general public; I pay more for my cars because I dont sell rebuilts or big accident cars cars. As a "good guy", I pay more to recondition my cars because cars that need tires, get tires, cars that need brakes, get brakes. Even with this in place, most people wont pay me more for a GOOD car than a shit one from the lot on Kingsway down the street, so you make me make the choice of whether I want to try and get by with less money than the crooks down the street, or not sell you the car.

-Mark (Pissed off car salesman)
Old 08-24-2010, 08:16 AM   #5
racing & tech mod.

lolz Mark maybe it's time we switched careers?

Quote:

That's just ignorant.

People selling privately will lie about a car's past as much or more than a dealer will. I've had customers trade-in a car, and when I ask them directly; "has the car ever been in an accident" they say "no" but then when we run the carproof later, there's several accidents showing, or out-of-province, or whatever. Sometimes they are trying to weasel extra trade-in cash, sometimes they are surprised to find out about the accidents too.

Reputable dealers will be up front as much as possible, we want you to come back with family for a 2nd/3rd/4th vehicle, we want you to come back for service. We would not want to burn you. I declare everything we know about the car. If someone had an accident and fixed it outside of ICBC, there is no way for anyone to know, other than the original owner. Unfortunately sometimes you get a vehicle that has an issue that sneaks past us during trade in, and we have to deal with it down the line. That doesn't mean we are trying to scam people.

BEN: I recommend you call the dealer first, ask about the vehicle to make sure it's as you expect it to be, and then make an appointment to ensure it's there when you arrive, and not sold or out on a demo drive.

That goes for everyone who wants to look at a specific car at a dealership. You are much better off to make an appointment than to just show up and be pissed off that the car isn't there.
Rich Sandor is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-24-2010, 08:20 AM   #6
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 1,557 Times in 511 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thumper View Post
i'm looking for a new (used) vehicle that granville toyota has in stock. i've never been there before and i was wondering if there are any RS members can recommend a salesperson who works there before i head over there?

thanks in advance...
I bought my car in April 09 from Ron Fong. Tell him Aaron sent you.

Current:
2006 Honda Fourtrax Rancher 400cc ATV (Offroad trails + Winter Snow Plow)
1995 Toyota Tacoma (Toy Hauler)
2003 Honda Civic SIR (Daily Beater)
2018 KTM 390 Duke (Gas Saver)
2017 Subaru WRX Sport-Tech + STI 6MT (Weekend Track)

Past:
2014 Honda Grom
1971 MG MGB Tourer
Kayo MR125 Race Bike
2001 Honda Odyssey
2009 Toyota Corolla CE
2007 Honda Ruckus
2007 Husqvarna SM610 SuperMoto
2001 Honda S2000
Dragon-88 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-24-2010, 04:53 PM   #7
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,941 Times in 765 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Sandor View Post
lolz Mark maybe it's time we switched careers?

That's just ignorant.

People selling privately will lie about a car's past as much or more than a dealer will. I've had customers trade-in a car, and when I ask them directly; "has the car ever been in an accident" they say "no" but then when we run the carproof later, there's several accidents showing, or out-of-province, or whatever. Sometimes they are trying to weasel extra trade-in cash, sometimes they are surprised to find out about the accidents too.

Reputable dealers will be up front as much as possible, we want you to come back with family for a 2nd/3rd/4th vehicle, we want you to come back for service. We would not want to burn you. I declare everything we know about the car. If someone had an accident and fixed it outside of ICBC, there is no way for anyone to know, other than the original owner. Unfortunately sometimes you get a vehicle that has an issue that sneaks past us during trade in, and we have to deal with it down the line. That doesn't mean we are trying to scam people.

BEN: I recommend you call the dealer first, ask about the vehicle to make sure it's as you expect it to be, and then make an appointment to ensure it's there when you arrive, and not sold or out on a demo drive.

That goes for everyone who wants to look at a specific car at a dealership. You are much better off to make an appointment than to just show up and be pissed off that the car isn't there.

unfortunately people do, but car salesmen are worse, and unfortunately its been proven numerous times to me

i've only ever bought privately, never EVER had a problem, maybe i'm a good judge of character/can sense when something's not quite right (+ i get ICBC reports)

private will always > dealer - dealers are scum, new, used, w/e they are, they add no value whatsoever - when we can buy direct from teh factory, life will be better - eliminate the middle man... no reason we can't with technology the way it is today
4444 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 08-24-2010, 05:10 PM   #8
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon-88 View Post
I bought my car in April 09 from Ron Fong. Tell him Aaron sent you.
I'd also reccommend Ron Fong,
i didn't buy the car from him but he was a good guy and wasn't pushy at all. knew his stuff too.

and in reply to buying cars from dealerships

Buying a car from a dealership is a great idea.
2005 Honda Jazz

BuySell Feedback
Quote:
"It's called Sex Panther by Odeon. It's illegal in nine countries... Yep, it's made with bits of real panther, so you know it's good ... They've done studies, you know. 60% of the time it works, every time. "
Leopold Stotch is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-24-2010, 05:36 PM   #9
racing & tech mod.

Quote:
unfortunately people do, but car salesmen are worse, and unfortunately its been proven numerous times to me

i've only ever bought privately, never EVER had a problem, maybe i'm a good judge of character/can sense when something's not quite right (+ i get ICBC reports)

private will always > dealer - dealers are scum, new, used, w/e they are, they add no value whatsoever - when we can buy direct from teh factory, life will be better - eliminate the middle man... no reason we can't with technology the way it is today
Good for you, you are confident buying a $$,$$$ vehicle on a computer screen without anyone telling you about the differences in models, or showing you the features, or taking you on a test drive.

It's also pretty ignorant to say that all dealers are scum, especially since you've never even bought from a dealership. I'm a dealer, does that make me scum?

From now on, think about what you have typed before you click submit.

Last edited by Rich Sandor; 08-24-2010 at 05:43 PM.
Rich Sandor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 05:39 PM   #10
Old School RS

Thanked 3,949 Times in 1,203 Posts
Quote:

Well fuck you too asshole, "Dealers are scum" - that's some of us in this thread you are calling scum, as Rich and I have both already mentioned.

I have a newsflash for you... in your imaginary world when you can buy direct from the factory, you will need to deal with some sort of salesperson. That salesperson will need to perform the same functions that a salesperson at a dealership in the real world, now, will need to do.
Old 08-24-2010, 08:01 PM   #11
The Lone Wanderator

Thanked 4,367 Times in 1,137 Posts
Deathnumber, rich, mark. Please unbunch your panties.

4444 is making broad general sweeping statements, and you guys are feeling hurt. I think that as a result, very few people are paying him any attention--especially given that I can't personally remember any positive good contributions to major threads he's made.

Regardless, we all need to tone it down and quit the personal attacks. Next person who goes crazy will get points.

Respect, people. Respect.
Posted via RS Mobile
Graeme S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 08:16 PM   #12
"Entertainment" mod.

Thanked 3,428 Times in 1,049 Posts
I haven't dealt with dealership salespeople because those cars will not be within my price point for a few years. However, I've had one awesome experience buying a car here on RS, and just encountered a bad one through Craigslist. The seller basically played up a shitty car by telling me a few issues that I could deal with over the phone, but began to stack on the problems as soon as I arrived to view the car. It got to the point where it was too good to be true, yet the seller insisted that "he could easily sell it".

At most, the car was only good for parts.