REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Fashion & Shopping

Fashion & Shopping Blackmarkers. A Filtered Selection of Clothing, Footwear and Accessories.
Gotta stay fresh! Latest fashion trends, new clothing lines, mega sales events, and awesome deals..

Old 09-01-2010, 12:43 PM   #1
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,317 Times in 5,637 Posts
Glasses/contacts question

K so I went and got a full eye health exam and it was pretty much as I expected I have a slight prescription at mid-distances

Anyways after all is said and done he told me it's the kind of case where I really only "need" glasses for like school etc for seeing the board, I told him I was leaning more towards contacts, so then he told me I should setup another appointment where they will give me a pair show me how to put them in cleaning etc

He was also pushing for me to get a "backup" pair of glasses but that just seemed like a money grab, as if I lost my contacts my vision is not so bad that I need a backup pair of glasses

My question is, is the contact appointment thing a money grab as well? My dad had contacts in the past and these days you can just order your prescription online can you not? Do I really need someone to show me this stuff?

Also what are ppl's thoughts on the disposable contacts? My main use will be for school mainly
Posted via RS Mobile
Advertisement
Hondaracer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 01:10 PM   #2
d1
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

I just got my contacts recently and initially I felt it wasn't worth it, but in the end they gave me 3 different pairs of contacts to try (3 months worth) and that alone would have been more than the $30 I paid for the appointment. As for teaching you how to put it on/take it off, that really only comes with practice but as a first timer it does help to get a few pointers from them.
d1 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-01-2010, 01:54 PM   #3
RS Veteran

i did a "trial" appointment. there, i discovered that i had trouble putting in regular sized contacts and so i had to get ones that were slightly smaller. after that supply ran out, i tried regular sized contacts again and was able to put them in. in my case that trial appointment was worth it.

i don't think you NEED to get a pair of glasses since your vision isn't too bad. i like having a pair of glasses... nice break from contacts once in a while.

i have weekly contacts... though i wear them for much longer than that.
Conan O'Brien Sex Video is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-01-2010, 04:54 PM   #4
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

If you spend a lot of time at a computer I would suggest glasses over contacts (especially disposables). I had to go back to glasses for that reason. Also you can take glasses on and off with ease when you switch tasks - contacts not so much. My experience is that the glasses are a better way to go in the long term if you don't need to wear them all the time.

If you are going to go with the contacts, I would recommend going to the 'fitting' appiontment (they're fairly cheap) and asking to have a couple differant brands to try. I found that one brand my friends were happy with did NOT work for me while what worked for me did not work for my sister and so on. I went through a few of those trial pairs before I found one that I was really comfortable with. (I liked Aquview 2 but even they were problematic when I had to start working at a comp for 8 hours a day).

Also, if you're having middistance problems now you will most likely need glasses in the forseeable future for first night time driving then driving all together. I'm not sure what your age is now but this is the standard progression for the near sighted. Infact if you need them for school activities (such as reading the board) already you probably should be wearing them when you're driving at night especially already.
Old 09-01-2010, 10:33 PM   #5

thanks for the info all, i guess i will give them a call and talk about the appt

i dont really "need" them for anything, but i figure i'd rather be at 100% than 90

eventually may need more but probably have laser surgery done at that point
Old 09-02-2010, 08:30 AM   #6
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,045 Times in 419 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
K so I went and got a full eye health exam and it was pretty much as I expected I have a slight prescription at mid-distances

Anyways after all is said and done he told me it's the kind of case where I really only "need" glasses for like school etc for seeing the board, I told him I was leaning more towards contacts, so then he told me I should setup another appointment where they will give me a pair show me how to put them in cleaning etc

He was also pushing for me to get a "backup" pair of glasses but that just seemed like a money grab, as if I lost my contacts my vision is not so bad that I need a backup pair of glasses

My question is, is the contact appointment thing a money grab as well? My dad had contacts in the past and these days you can just order your prescription online can you not? Do I really need someone to show me this stuff?

Also what are ppl's thoughts on the disposable contacts? My main use will be for school mainly
Posted via RS Mobile
No, the contacts fitting appointment is not a money grab. It's mainly to see what kind of contacts fit your eyeball. Some contacts causes irritation because it doesn't fit perfectly with the shape of your pupil. In addition, your optometrist will show you how to put on the contacts, which can be quite difficult at first. This could require more than 1 appointment.

Reason why people wear contacts:

1. Glasses gives them a headache
2. Glasses irritates if worn for a long period of time
3. They need their 20/20 vision constantly for work/school
4. Looks and appearance

If you only need your vision during classes, go with glasses because you can just slip them on and take them off whenever. Contacts is a little more hassle when you are late for school and such.

PS - if your eyesight is due to hereditary, I heard that even if you get laser eye surgery, it won't really help. You will get your 100% vision back, but over time, it will get worse.
mr_chin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 09:33 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
thanks for the info all, i guess i will give them a call and talk about the appt

i dont really "need" them for anything, but i figure i'd rather be at 100% than 90

eventually may need more but probably have laser surgery done at that point
You may find when you wear your glass/contacts more that you do see signifigently better with them then you think you will. You're accustomed to imperfect vision right now. Trees in the distance stop being fuzzy green blobs and you realize that that 10% is a big differance when it comes to your #1 sense.
Old 09-02-2010, 06:01 PM   #8
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

Anybody know what are the best contacts for computer usage? I am going back to school soon and will need contacts that will not go dry if I use the computer for about a 3 hour session.
Gee.Tee.Ar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 09:25 AM   #9
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

^ Acuvue Oasys. Highly recommended.

IT would be great to learn how to put on contact, because if you need glasses now, most likely you will need it in the future. (if you play a lot of computer games, or watch a lot of tvs, or read a lot of books, your prescription will increase.) (it would be a good long term investment) Most likely if you need glasses for school, You may need glasses for driving. SO i would also invest in a cheap pair of glasses, and learn how to fit in contacts.
wendal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 09:53 AM   #10

Gee.Tee.Ar - Glasses.

I liked the Acuvues but for long runs on the comp (like 4 hours + paper writing) you should switch to glasses for those stretches.

Also glasses don't have to be insanely expensive. They last multiple years, many places such as Pearl vision will give you great 2 for 1 deals as well (I picked up 2 designer pairs last winter for about $300).

Often these deals can be combined with contact prescriptions too so you may be able to get say a years supply of contacts free in lue of a second pair of glasses and so on.

Also to any douglas collage students, with your student card you can shop at the glasses shop in the coquitlam campus and get absolutely AMAZING deals. The optometry students have to make glasses to learn how to... well make glasses. Often there you pay little more than the cost of the frames. (they also have amazing deals on contacts as well).
Old 09-03-2010, 02:23 PM   #11
(ノº _ º)ノ彡┻━┻

i'm using these right now and they're quite awesome. i've fallen asleep with these on and haven't had a problem upon waking. it's a bit dry, but it gets moist again quickly.

http://www.clearlycontacts.ca/contac...prod92803.html

Air Optix for Astigmatism contact lenses from Ciba Vision allow 5 times more oxygen to flow to your eyes than regular soft contact lens. This provides the wearer with exceptional comfort, and visual acuity for extended periods of time. The lens also features a patented technology that creates a deposit resistant surface, which creates a healthier usage experience. Air Optix for Astigmatism are toric contact lenses. These lenses are a great monthly disposable option for those who have astigmatism. These lenses are approved for 7 days of continuous wear without removal. Please consult with your eye doctor for the wearing schedule that is optimal for your vision requirements. There are 6 lenses per each box of Air Optix for Astigmatism.
jnesss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 02:11 PM   #12
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

I've used Aquaview disposables for 10 years now, the Aquaview Oysasis IIs for about 6. They seem to be fine for me!
mhui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 11:16 PM   #13
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,045 Times in 419 Posts
If you're looking for cheap brand names glasses. ClearlyContacts.ca. One time they had this sweet ass gucci one that looked like it would cost about 500 - 700 at the store for only 150.
mr_chin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 12:03 PM   #14

so u guys order online?

when i went back in today i was told my perscription is such that not too many brands carry it, so he said he was gonna order in some generic brand that copies the Acuvue ones
Old 09-12-2010, 04:39 AM   #15
Banned (ABWS)

wth that doesnt sound right!! at all.. post your glasses prescription and ill gladly convert it for u into contact lens .. just pm me cuz i hardly come on revscene and prob wont come back on this thread to be honest.. and contact lens fitting fees are bullshit. i never charged anyone lol
kwanzor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 04:12 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwanzor View Post
wth that doesnt sound right!! at all.. post your glasses prescription and ill gladly convert it for u into contact lens .. just pm me cuz i hardly come on revscene and prob wont come back on this thread to be honest.. and contact lens fitting fees are bullshit. i never charged anyone lol
I set up an appointment for tommarow and it's $45 for a pair of contacts that are good for a month, the cases for the contacts, the cleaning solutions, and they show u how to put em in etc.

my perscription is this, where the numbers are - sphere/cylinder/axis

OD: -0.25 -0.50 095
Old 09-13-2010, 06:35 PM   #17
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
The appt is not a money grab.

But it all depends on the person.

I msyelf have serious eye issue and wearing contacts isn't the best for me. Tried contacts for a week and went back to glasses.

Both have advantages and disadvantages.
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 06:56 PM   #18
Say! Say! Say!

Thanked 3,215 Times in 1,398 Posts
Last time I checked, Costco gave out free eye exams along with a free contact fitting session + trial pairs. You'll need a Costco card though.
Originally Posted by 89blkcivic View Post
Did I tell you guys black is my favourite colour? My Ridgeline is black. My Honda Fit is black. Wish my dick was black........ LOL.
Razor Ramon HG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 11:15 PM   #19
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

for 1st time contact len wearer, it is necessary to have a proper CL fitting procedure by a licensed optician as regulated by the health regulation. That be said, how much do opticians/optometrists charge are different. We charge $15 at my store, but provide unlimited trial samples until you find the correct contact lenses that fits your eye. After the 1st fitting, patients can go anywhere to get their contacts. (Online/different store and etc).

But to be honest, Clearlycontacts is not necessary the cheapest place to get ur contacts. I know for a fact cus the store I work at do sell certain brands cheaper than clearlycontacts after the manufacture rebate (which Clearlycontacts doesn't offer), AND you get the customer service =)

My Buy/Sell Rating
tnkw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 11:56 PM   #20
wants to know why blow-up dolls always look so surprised

id suggest you not wear contacts because since your near sightedness is so minor, with proper eye exercises you can still get back to 20/20 vision no sweat.
if you wear contacts, you'll be having them on the entire time when you're out. your eyes adjust to that distance and you'll only get worse.

i think you should go for glasses to wear when you need them instead of wearing contacts all day.
iam_dan is offline   Reply With Quote